Who has vacationed in Myrtle Beach, SC?

person

DIS Veteran
Lots of hotels to choose from; lots of golf; lots of restaurants; opportunities for trips out.

(We had a great time some years ago...)

I visited for several days back in 1986 and had a good time. Beach, bars, bands, etc. Then I didn’t return until 2016 when DH and I stopped for a few hours while driving back home from Charleston. The giant ferris wheel was nice but the area in general looked a bit seedy.

Strongly recommend you consider North Myrtle, or any of the beaches north of Myrtle proper. Myrtle Beach has become known for violence & crime. Definitely not somewhere you’d want to be after dark.

Strongly recommend you consider North Myrtle, or any of the beaches north of Myrtle proper. Myrtle Beach has become known for violence & crime. Definitely not somewhere you’d want to be after dark.
Useful point, ty....

Lots of hotels to choose from; lots of golf; lots of restaurants; opportunities for trips out.

(We had a great time some years ago...)
We live in Pawleys Island, about 20 minutes south of Myrtle. I’d recommend you look at Pawleys Island or Litchfield Beach. Our beaches are pristine, and the seafood in Murrells Inlet is the best in the region.

We live in Pawleys Island, about 20 minutes south of Myrtle. I’d recommend you look at Pawleys Island or Litchfield Beach. Our beaches are pristine, and the seafood in Murrells Inlet is the best in the region.
Those names seem familiar; thanks... :)

Depending on what type of vacation you want, you may like Ocean Isle, Holden Beach or Sunset Beach, all in NC but within an easy drive of Myrtle. They are nice areas with good beaches but much more relaxed. These would be good areas if you only wanted to go to Myrtle once or twice. Myrtle Beach is extremely congested but there is a lot to do. The beaches are wall to wall people. Staying in N Myrtle or Cherry Grove area as a previous poster suggested would put you closer to the MB action but would not be quite as congested. South of Myrtle is very nice too!

I stayed in Myrtle Beach last March and I saw no crime or it being run down. I thought it was nice city and it had lots to do. The only place I saw that was rundown was the former home of Hard Rock Park. I never understood why so many people give Myrtle Beach such a bad rap.

I stayed in Myrtle Beach last March and I saw no crime or it being run down. I thought it was nice city and it had lots to do. The only place I saw that was rundown was the former home of Hard Rock Park. I never understood why so many people give Myrtle Beach such a bad rap.

I agree - we love Myrtle Beach. If you're looking for a place with lots to do, it's very fun. To us, it feels very "vacation-y". It depends on what you're looking for. Good luck!

Y'all who are saying Myrtle Beach seems like a nice, family-oriented place are almost certainly thinking of North or South Myrtle (or its neighbors), which are very close /tend to run together in people's minds. The state park area, which is in South Myrtle, is nice too. Hard-core Myrtle itself is a rough place.

Y'all who are saying Myrtle Beach seems like a nice, family-oriented place are almost certainly thinking of North or South Myrtle (or its neighbors), which are very close /tend to run together in people's minds. The state park area, which is in South Myrtle, is nice too. Hard-core Myrtle itself is a rough place.
Most places have their bad areas. When I went we stayed on Ocean Blvd near Ripley's. The only bad area I saw was what used to be Hard Rock park.

https://www.charlottestories.com/myrtle-beach-ranked-the-3rd-most-dangerous-city-in-america/
As of late 2020 Myrtle Beach was ranked 3rd most dangerous city in America. I live in Charlotte, NC and have been to the NC & SC beaches many times in the past 20 years. We do not go to Myrtle unless it is daylight hours and do not allow our late teens/early 20’s children to go there without us. There are too many other MUCH nicer beaches north & south of Myrtle. Thus my earlier recommendation of North Myrtle (still not a fave, but more family-friendly), or other beaches outside of Myrtle as other posters have suggested. We prefer Ocean Isle, Oak Island, Wrightsville Beach, or SC beaches of Mount Pleasant or Sullivan’s Island, Isle of Palms, closer to Charleston.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter