WHO gets a GAC?

dylcon

Earning My Ears
I am being treated for cancer, and my illness limits me from doing as much as my family. I get tired quickly and only end up doing a couple attractions. I do not need an ECV or WC...guess I'm a bit stubborn...anyway, was curious what constitutes getting one of these GAC's??

I'd feel a bit awkward walking up to Guest Services and saying "ahem...I know I don't LOOK sick, but I'm being treated for cancer and was wondering what you folks might be able to do for me?":earseek:

My understanding is that doctors notes are *not* needed...it wouldn't be a problem getting one tho...

It stinks having to head back to the room to rest while the other family members (begrudgingly) spend the rest of the afternoon in the parks...they feel bad for leaving me, and *I* feel bad for making them feel bad::yes:: ...we go on vacation to try and FORGET about the problems, yet this brings it right to the forefront again that "dad is sick."

Anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do?

TIA!

I am sorry of your condition, but I am going to give you a blast which I hope makes you think. I am a cancer survivor and my wife is currently being treated for cancer, so I do know what I am talking about.

You absolutely need a wheelchair or an ECV!!!!!

Your getting tired is because you are on you feet so much and doing much more walking than you are used to. I did fight using an ECV until one afternoon I became desperate. After that I rented an ECV from an outside company for every tip.

I would suggest the use of an ECV rather than a wheelchair, for several reasons.

First of all, WDW does have hills; most people just don't notice them. If you are not used to driving a wheelchair, it can be as bad on you as walking. Similarly, a pusher needs a lot of experience.

In an ECV you can do more yourself. When you get to an attraction you can get out of the ECV and walk to and from the ride itself (use the ECV in line). Likewise you can get out of the ECV (if you want) when shopping or eaqting. Again, note it is the prolonged walking and standing which wears you out.

If someone has forgotten somthing you can (carefully) set the speed control to "rabbit" and get what is needed and come back.

You can be used as a Sherpa, with bags in the basket, hanging from the handlebars (but careful not to interfere with the controller) and sitting on the floorboards.

Anyway, if you admit you have a disability (and being threated for cancer definitely is one) and rent an ECV you will make EVERYONE in your group have a much more enjoyable vacation.

By the way, if you go to guest services for a GAC, they cannot legally answer a question of "what can you do for me". You have to tell them what your needs are.

(And I think a lot of the other regulars will back me up on this.)

To NOT use and ECV or wheelchair would be the selfish thing to to do.
Also the answer to fatigue at Disney IS a wheelchair or ECV.

I have never understood the concept of not using whatever will help you improve the quality of life with any disability whether a cane, wheelchair or whatever.

I am very sorry to hear of your condition but ECV is your best bet.

I am also sorry for your current health condition, but I cannot urge you, encourage you, whatever, to rent an ECV for the reason the previous posters have outlined. This is NOT a time to be stubborn :)! And besides don't you want to have a good time & for your family to also have a good time?

A few years ago I began reading this board. I wasn't really familiar with ECVs, handicapped parking permits, etc. I learned a lot from reading this board plus I gained the courage to get a handicapped parking permit - my doctor didn't blink an eye - & to rent an ECV. The ECV is a life saver on our trips to WDW! PLEASE RECONSIDER!

Thanks so much for the replies...I will consider renting an ECV, but I'm still not 100%. It's difficult to admit that I need one, and some days are better than others for me. Just never know which day that will be.

The weather will also play a big part in my decision...being a Fl resident, I'm (very) aware of the heat...and thus far it hasn't been too bad.

But if it gets into the mid 80's, and humid...that just saps me of all energy and becomes debilitating....ECV or not. I live near the coast, and it's much hotter near the Orlando area.

In any event, I will visit guest services regardless of my decision and inquire about the GAC...I'm just unsure of what it is that I want/need (and they certainly cannot tell me)!

If only they could supply a "portable air-conditioner.":teeth:

Originally posted by dylcon
I will consider renting an ECV, but I'm still not 100%. It's difficult to admit that I need one, and some days are better than others for me. Just never know which day that will be.

One thing to consider is you may have what you think is a good day, but when you get back to your room you will realize that you are totally exhausted. This will ruin the next day for you (and your family).

I have a bit of a similar problem currently with my wife. She spends some of her time fighting the treatment when she should be fighting the illness. Get an ECV and use it for getting around and "standing" in lines. When you actually go on the attractions, or into stores or restaurants you can park the ECV, take the key, and walk.

We have three things to do next week with some friends. Right now my wife is in worse condition than I am; she will be using the ECV we own and I may have to rent one, depending on what we are going to be doing.

Remember one thing; you said:
It stinks having to head back to the room to rest while the other family members (begrudgingly) spend the rest of the afternoon in the parks...they feel bad for leaving me, and *I* feel bad for making them feel bad ...we go on vacation to try and FORGET about the problems, yet this brings it right to the forefront again that "dad is sick."
. Your renting an ECV will make the vacation better for everyone!

Dear dylcon--

I am sorry to hear of your health condition.

I wanted to help give you some idea of the types of assistance that you can request:

Firstly-- the other posters are correct in suggesting an ECV or wheelchair. Because the distance between the attractions is actually much greater than the distance within the queues, all Guests who has stamina or endurance concerns are encouraged to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Not only will the device help cut down on walking, you are able to bring the device into the queue with you. This allows you to remain seated during the wait instead of having to stand throughout the entire queue. There currently is not a Guest Assistance Card designed to address stanima or endurance concerns.

Do you have additional needs beyond your stamina/endurance concerns? That is the question you must ask yourself. If you feel you do have additional needs, then I would suggest stopping by Guest Relations to inquire about a Guest Assistance Card. Keep in mind, the Guest Relations Cast Member will be unable to assess whether you have additional needs simply by knowing you have been diagnosed with cancer.

The following questions might be helpful to give you an idea of some other possible needs that a Guest Assistance Card can address.

Are you sensitive to the sun? A Guest Assistance Card can be issued to allow you to wait in a covered area when the queue is exposed to the sun for an extended time.

Are you unable to navigate stairs? A Guest Assistance Card can be issued to allow you to use the designed wheelchair entrances. Keep in mind these entrances generally do not reduce your wait time, but simply allow you to avoid those sections of the queue that may include stairs.

If you feel you do have additional needs beyond stamina/endurance concerns but are unsure whether Walt Disney World can provide assistance, stop into Guest Relations and explain your specific needs to the Cast Member. They will do their best to provide assistance for your needs.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

One way of looking at things that has helped some people, is to think of the energy needed for a day at WDW like a checking account. Each day, you get a certain amount of energy put into your "account" and as the day goes on, you "spend" energy at various things.
You can choose to use your energy for fun things, like going on rides, or for just basic activitites (like walking around the parks). You can conserve energy (and maybe even add to your energy account) by doing things like using an ecv or wheelchair or taking a rest. If you use too much energy during the day, you might not have enough to last the whole day. If you use too much and keep pushing anyway, you will "overspend" your account and begin the next day with a smaller amount. So, using an ecv or wheelchair is a sensible way to stretch your energy and help your whole family have a better time.

My FIL has been seriously talking about using an ecv at WDW for the past 6 or 7 years. He finally rented one the last day of our recent trip. He said it was wonderful and he wished he had done it years ago. He was able to go where he wanted and not have to think about how much he would "pay" for it later. It was the first time in years that he left a park without severe knee and hip pain. It was also a visit where we didn't have to say "I wish grandpa was here" or watch him be in pain. Hopefully, he will remember how nice it was and on his next trip, rent one earlier!
I'd feel a bit awkward walking up to Guest Services and saying "ahem...I know I don't LOOK sick, but I'm being treated for cancer and was wondering what you folks might be able to do for me?"

My understanding is that doctors notes are *not* needed...it wouldn't be a problem getting one tho...
To add a little to what the other posters wrote.
If you are using a wheelchair or ecv, you don't need a GAC to bring the ecv/wheelchair into line with you or use the accessible lines/entrances (most line are accessible).
If you have additional needs besides needing an accessible line, then a GAC might be helpful.
You don't need a doctor's note to request a GAC.
You do need to be able to explain your needs to the CM. Telling the CM you have cancer or another other condition doesn't tell them what your needs are because each person has their own needs.
For example, my DD has cerebral palsy and drives a power wheelchair. Several of her friends also have cerebral palsy and drive power wheelchairs, but they don't all have the same needs. One of the young ladies would have no problem driving her wheelchair in lines and could probably do well without a GAC. Another drives her wheelchair with something called a head array (she basically drives with her head). Some of the regular lines would be too tight and winding for her to drive in; besides, when she gets excited, her arms and legs fly all over and she would not be able to drive in narrower places without banging her arms on the rails. My DD would be able to drive her power wheelchair in many of the regular lines, but she has a lot of obsessive behaviors that make it difficult for her to be in line with a lot of people. So, just knowing a diagnosis, doesn't tell what the needs are at all.

So my advice is the same as the other posters. Rent an ecv and your whole family will have a better trip.

You folks are great! Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

How difficult is it to utilize the ECV and the onsite transportation? We'll be staying at the CR, and I'm torn between taking my chances w/renting at each of the parks (and run the risk of not getting one), or contacting Walker's and having it waiting for me at the hotel.

We're going Monday.

It would be much more convenient if there was an ECV waiting for me at each park...and I *know* this is not realistic. But I might take that chance.

IF I were to have one delivered tho, any problems/difficulties w/the different transportations to and from the parks?

Each monorail has a couple of sections where wheelchairs and ECVs have priority, even to the extent of asking people to relocate.

The ferry is very easy.

All the "Friendships" (Epcot, Studio, Y&B, Boardwalk, Swolphin) are also very easy.

I have never used the buses, but I understand that almost all are now either ramp or lift equipped and I have heard that the drivers are now much more aware of needs and how to assist.

The only problem night be some of the yachts (FW or WL to MK).

Having rental from Walker (or someone else outside) means you don't have to walk from the transportation stop to the rental area, and also that you would have use of it in Downtown Disney (where they do not rent ECVs).

Originally posted by dylcon
You folks are great! Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

How difficult is it to utilize the ECV and the onsite transportation? We'll be staying at the CR, and I'm torn between taking my chances w/renting at each of the parks (and run the risk of not getting one), or contacting Walker's and having it waiting for me at the hotel.

We're going Monday.

It would be much more convenient if there was an ECV waiting for me at each park...and I *know* this is not realistic. But I might take that chance.

IF I were to have one delivered tho, any problems/difficulties w/the different transportations to and from the parks?

Please don't rely on one being in the park Walkers is so much better. It is really easy to do all the transportation at disney with an ECV if you a feel it is tricky to ride it up or back down a ramp you can get off it, there is a small lever at the back that allows the scooter to be pushed and either you or someone else in your party can push it up or down the ramp. but it really is not that hard even to ride it up and down.
You will be so much happier with one delivered to your hotel but if you are going to call them now to arrange it.

If you practice backing up and getting the ecv into a specific spot before you leave your resort, you will be prepared to get on the buses. A lot of people who were kind of afraid of that part post after their trip that the bus was a little tricky the first time, but no problem after that.

If you really need to have an ecv, I would not suggest taking a chance on whether or not you will be able to get one at the parks.
As was already mentioned, if you rent one from off-site, you won't have to walk from your room to the transportation area or from the transportation area to the place where you rent an ecv at the parks. That can sometimes be quite a hike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter