Who else is burnt out on hosting Thanksgiving?

Oh, I totally know people like this....the complainers who don't want to give up hosting. Or, maybe they don't complain about it so much but the day off there's lots of sighs and short exchanges in the kitchen. Essentially, this was my in-laws forever for Christmas Day. MIL passed last year, but we're still going to FIL's because that's how he wants it. But for years, we almost weren't allowed to help in the kitchen....just a little with cleanup. But they'd be snapping at each other about this or that and it would get uncomfortable for the rest of us. In a way, my FIL still won't let go....last year he taught his nephew and his wife to make "his" lasagna....which is just.....lasagna ;). I offered to make it this year because our nephew's wife is very pregnant but FIL won't allow it....has to be "his" lasagna.
Totally on point for me at least ::yes::

We mentioned last night that we're more than fine hosting Thanksgiving for mother-in-law but we'll be doing an order of food when/if we do that which they all seemed fine with that especially because they've done that in the past. There will still be sides that are made/put together but yeah we're all about trying to make things easier and less stressful because just being a Holiday does that already lol.

Totally on point for me at least ::yes::

We mentioned last night that we're more than fine hosting Thanksgiving for mother-in-law but we'll be doing an order of food when/if we do that which they all seemed fine with that especially because they've done that in the past. There will still be sides that are made/put together but yeah we're all about trying to make things easier and less stressful because just being a Holiday does that already lol.

Oh...I did this one year! And it's a kind of funny story.

It was a year where my in-laws would have been alone for TG if not for us going there...or hosting them. I had to work, which meant I'd be in and out of the house most of the day/evening doing visits for my customers. But, I could "carve" (haha) out a couple of hours in the mid-afternoon to have my in-laws to our home. But....I didn't have time to properly cook the meal myself. So, I purchased the meal made by a really good local restaurant that specializes in catered food. Picked it up the day before....and even heating it all up was a fair amount of work.

My in-laws got here and we were sitting in the living room. My MIL was nodding off, and come to find out that her shoulder was hurting her, so she took "the strong Tylenol"....which I took to mean "extra strength", but what ended up being....Tylenol PM, which my in-laws somehow thought was stronger....and not simply Tylenol and Benadryl...lol.

So, she was crankier than usual that day...and tired. We finally make it to the table and my FIL remarked...."thanks for having us, everything is delicious", to which my MIL replied "Why are you thanking her.....she didn't make it." So, that year went down as the year my MIL officially lost whatever sliver of a "filter" she had left.....and there was never much of one to begin with...lol! But, I was a veteran DIL by that point, a good solid 15 years under my belt of dodging the occasional barb hurled my way....lol. That was also the last time I "hosted" TG for them ;). Still, that line has lived on for over a decade...in my house anyway.

I know this isn't how you meant it, but one could read the bolded and interpret it as "those who use disposables AREN'T 'offering hospitality', NOT 'welcoming guests', and DON'T feel the guests are 'worth it'."
Well someone already that those that care about their table setting don’t care about their guests so… 🤷‍♀️

You are correct but that’s not much better is it?
Kind of hard to judge. Depends on how much emphasis the host puts on the presentation vs concern for guests. If it's only SLIGHTLY more, not a big deal.

I would say misrepresenting what someone says would be worse. ;)

Oh...I did this one year! And it's a kind of funny story.

It was a year where my in-laws would have been alone for TG if not for us going there...or hosting them. I had to work, which meant I'd be in and out of the house most of the day/evening doing visits for my customers. But, I could "carve" (haha) out a couple of hours in the mid-afternoon to have my in-laws to our home. But....I didn't have time to properly cook the meal myself. So, I purchased the meal made by a really good local restaurant that specializes in catered food. Picked it up the day before....and even heating it all up was a fair amount of work.

My in-laws got here and we were sitting in the living room. My MIL was nodding off, and come to find out that her shoulder was hurting her, so she took "the strong Tylenol"....which I took to mean "extra strength", but what ended up being....Tylenol PM, which my in-laws somehow thought was stronger....and not simply Tylenol and Benadryl...lol.

So, she was crankier than usual that day...and tired. We finally make it to the table and my FIL remarked...."thanks for having us, everything is delicious", to which my MIL replied "Why are you thanking her.....she didn't make it." So, that year went down as the year my MIL officially lost whatever sliver of a "filter" she had left.....and there was never much of one to begin with...lol! But, I was a veteran DIL by that point, a good solid 15 years under my belt of dodging the occasional barb hurled my way....lol. That was also the last time I "hosted" TG for them ;). Still, that line has lived on for over a decade...in my house anyway.
Sooo I didn't know whether I should laugh, love or like because it was all of those :teeth: especially laughing at the mix up of Tylenol.

You're correct that there's still stuff you have to do even with food being ordered. Even with my mom's side of the family having done the order from the local grocery store for years now they still make the stuffing on the stove, the rolls still get put in the oven, there's coordinating the oven and stove and microwaves times to heat/bake certain things but it really takes out a bulk of the stress of so many other things that go into the meal of making it from scratch.

Sister-in-law joked last night about even doing just an order of non-traditional food more like take out and TBH we'd all be fine with that as well (well at least us "kids" would be. Truly it'd leave more time to play Mexican Train because despite father-in-law bringing over that game last night and really itching to play, after all the prep, setting up, putting up the leftovers it was way too late to even start the game.

Sooo I didn't know whether I should laugh, love or like because it was all of those :teeth: especially laughing at the mix up of Tylenol.

You're correct that there's still stuff you have to do even with food being ordered. Even with my mom's side of the family having done the order from the local grocery store for years now they still make the stuffing on the stove, the rolls still get put in the oven, there's coordinating the oven and stove and microwaves times to heat/bake certain things but it really takes out a bulk of the stress of so many other things that go into the meal of making it from scratch.

Sister-in-law joked last night about even doing just an order of non-traditional food more like take out and TBH we'd all be fine with that as well (well at least us "kids" would be. Truly it'd leave more time to play Mexican Train because despite father-in-law bringing over that game last night and really itching to play, after all the prep, setting up, putting up the leftovers it was way too late to even start the game.

Ha...you can laugh....she wasn't your MIL ;). She was a good person, just not always the warmest.

Sounds like the "older generation" is still holding on to tradition, which I suppose is natural in some ways. Old habits and traditions die hard. My siblings and I are mid-to late 50s now, and so we're close to being the "elders" in the family and every one of us is up for changing things up. From reading this thread and others like it, seems we're not alone.

I had Thanksgiving for probably 45 years (married 59) and boy did it get old later on. Even though I'm an average to good cook and read recipe books like they're novels, I'm not a relaxed hostess.
I truly wish I was but I'm honestly not. I greatly admire people who are.

That's why last 6 years we go to Seasons 52 and love it. Yes, restaurants are crowded and noisy but you come home breathing a sigh of relief. But there's a part of me that envies large family (we are small) and 'all the fun they're having'.

I would LOVE to cater the meal. It’s so much work for a single meal. I actually enjoy clean up. Everyone tries to help and it does goes quicker, but I’d rather do it on my own while everyone goes into the other room. It creates frenetic energy with all the people in the kitchen.

We ended the evening watching the Seahawks lose and then playing the monkey tail game. Now that was hilarious. Even the grandparents took a turn and we got a lot of fun videos.

I would LOVE to cater the meal. It’s so much work for a single meal. I actually enjoy clean up. Everyone tries to help and it does goes quicker, but I’d rather do it on my own while everyone goes into the other room. It creates frenetic energy with all the people in the kitchen.

We ended the evening watching the Seahawks lose and then playing the monkey tail game. Now that was hilarious. Even the grandparents took a turn and we got a lot of fun videos.
It is a lot of work for one meal agreed.

We watched some of that football game too, it takes my eyes a bit to adjust with their team outfits :laughing:

What's this monkey tail game you mentioned? Between all the sides of my husband's family there's always an interest in adding new games to the mix of ones we play.

It is a lot of work for one meal agreed.

We watched some of that football game too, it takes my eyes a bit to adjust with their team outfits :laughing:

What's this monkey tail game you mentioned? Between all the sides of my husband's family there's always an interest in adding new games to the mix of ones we play.

That game was hilarious. Someone brought it and i think it’s a kid game. That might not even be the name of it. You put a monkey tail on and try and pick up things with it. Young and old found it fun.

That game was hilarious. Someone brought it and i think it’s a kid game. That might not even be the name of it. You put a monkey tail on and try and pick up things with it. Young and old found it fun.
Thanks for sharing! I'm going to look it up. Sounds like a game I know one side would really enjoy with that level of interactiveness.

I know this isn't how you meant it, but one could read the bolded and interpret it as "those who use disposables AREN'T 'offering hospitality', NOT 'welcoming guests', and DON'T feel the guests are 'worth it'."
No, not what I said at all, unlike the post I quoted, which expressed the opinion that the "fancy table setters" don't care about their guests or food as much as they do the appearance. My post was very specifically worded in contrast to that. Anybody reading that in is just looking for a conflict, I guess. :confused3

No, not what I said at all, unlike the post I quoted, which expressed the opinion that the "fancy table setters" don't care about their guests or food as much as they do the appearance. My post was very specifically worded in contrast to that. Anybody reading that in is just looking for a conflict, I guess. :confused3
Not, not looking for conflict, just presenting another way your words could be interpreted. I acknowledged that's not what you meant.

I just came across a headline that said J-Lo had $500 plates on her Thanksgiving table and was reminded of this thread. She’s so caring.
Did she have the food catered, or did she bring in extra staff? I can't quite picture her getting up early to start roasting the turkey.

I just came across a headline that said J-Lo had $500 plates on her Thanksgiving table and was reminded of this thread. She’s so caring.
;) Or doesn't care at all, right? With those plates you wouldn't even need to serve food to put on them. Anybody lucky enough to be invited should just be content with the splendor. I'll bet there was a fabulous centerpiece too. :laughing:

lol. I think it was just a set up to promote an alcoholic beverage. But that was the headline “$500 plates.” 🫢 It looked like gold was in the middle plate? Otherwise the table was pretty understated with a couple gourds in a basket as the centerpiece. So conflicting. Go all out with your $500 plates or don’t. 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter