Who’s excited about the Barbie movie?

We saw Mission Impossible last night. Loved it, but you are right. Some of those scenes went on too long. Even a good action scene can go too long. It would have been a spectacular 2 hour movie. Still glad we went.

I actually had the same issue with Indy.
That was my only issue with Barbie. 2 scenes went on for too long.
1. Ken's song. I loved it, and it seems they had a lot of fun with it, but sometimes you have to kill your darlings.
2. The final scene with Ruth and Barbie. It could have been shorter.

That was my only issue with Barbie. 2 scenes went on for too long.
1. Ken's song. I loved it, and it seems they had a lot of fun with it, but sometimes you have to kill your darlings.
2. The final scene with Ruth and Barbie. It could have been shorter.
They really need to get over this urge to make everything 2 1/2 or 3 hours. The movies would be so much better.

Why? Running time has nothing to do with quality.

Barbie runs 114 minutes.

Roger Ebert famously observed that bad movies are too long, and good movies are never long enough.
Don't agree with the first statement. It depends on how the running time is used.

If a creator wants to tell to much or add too much unneccesary backstory or sidestep's, or is unable to kill their darlings, it can influence the running time and the quality.

I have that with Encanto. Both Louisa and Isabela's songs are longer than necessary and longer than Mirabel's solo. The songs of the first two would have improved (imho) if there was one verse less. But I can also tell as a song they are better than Mirabel's solo which is much more forgettable.

Did the remake of the Lion King really improve with all the additionele nature shots?

Why? Running time has nothing to do with quality.

Barbie runs 114 minutes.

Roger Ebert famously observed that bad movies are too long, and good movies are never long enough.
I just don't agree with that. Mission Impossible was really good. It was just a little too long.

Interesting that people thought Barbie was too long. I was surprised that it was almost 2 hours as I felt that it went by quickly. It does have pacing issues for sure but I didn't feel like it was too long.

Being too long is why I probably won't check out Oppenheimer (also not interested in the subject matter). Don't want to sit in a movie theater for 3 hours.

I just don't agree with that. Mission Impossible was really good. It was just a little too long.
amadeus-too.gif

I have zero interest personally in the Barbie movie but I love the energy it has created. I know people who aren’t into movies or dressing for anything that are dressing up to go to see this.

It’s fun to watch and I’m glad to see so many people getting so much joy from it.

OK then. You can't just agree to disagree on an opinion on a creative endeavor? I said I really liked the movie. We don't have to agree on the length. It will be fine if we don't.
What I don't understand is why you have a pre-conceived notion about how long a movie has to be, and if it goes over that that it's "too long."

What I don't understand is why you have a pre-conceived notion about how long a movie has to be, and if it goes over that that it's "too long."
I don't really. Just thought a couple of the ones I've seen recently felt too long. I have definitely seen some very good movies that were longer.

And nobody made me the purveyor of what is "too long". But I certainly get to decide what is too long for my taste.

Not sure why this bothers you so much.

I don't really. Just thought a couple of the ones I've seen recently felt too long. I have definitely seen some very good movies that were longer.

And nobody made me the purveyor of what is "too long". But I certainly get to decide what is too long for my taste.

Not sure why this bothers you so much.
I'm not bothered by this. I just like to try to understand the thinking behind people's tastes. I'm sorry if that challenged you too much; I thought we were sharing our thoughts.

I'm not bothered by this. I just like to try to understand the thinking behind people's tastes. I'm sorry if that challenged you too much; I thought we were sharing our thoughts.
I'm so sorry I misinterpreted the tone of your posts. Glad I could help shed some light on it for you.

Could have something to do with attention span. This can be physically, especially if you are in a theater that doesn't do intervals. 3 hours intensely watching something is hard on the brain, with constantly processing what is happening. Like when you are on a long drive, you have to stop ever so often.

But also the attention span within the story, so emotionally or mentally. To keep a story going to keep someone interested over a 3 hour period is hard. The story needs to be at the right pace, but at certain points you have to slow down to give your audience (and your characters) time to process. For some this can be too long, for others it is too short.

Let's take Disney's Beauty and the Beast as an example. There is a release where they added Human Again back into the movie. The sknf was scrapped in the original. Brought back for the Broadway musical. And then put in a re-release. The idea behind the song is to show more of the Enchanted Objects point of view. Which fits in the Broadway show as there are more short scenes with the Enchanted Objects scattered throughout the show. It's not my favourite part of the show, but it does fit and doesn't bother me within the 2.5 running time. Probably it is also helped because the Enchanted Objects are human size actors in the musical.

That same scene in the 90 minute animation would be skippable and make the movie feel longer than necessary because you miss the additional backstory. It drags.

Like fight or dance scenes can feel to long. The director and editor have to know when something is overstaying their welcome.

Could have something to do with attention span. This can be physically, especially if you are in a theater that doesn't do intervals. 3 hours intensely watching something is hard on the brain, with constantly processing what is happening. Like when you are on a long drive, you have to stop ever so often.

But also the attention span within the story, so emotionally or mentally. To keep a story going to keep someone interested over a 3 hour period is hard. The story needs to be at the right pace, but at certain points you have to slow down to give your audience (and your characters) time to process. For some this can be too long, for others it is too short.

Let's take Disney's Beauty and the Beast as an example. There is a release where they added Human Again back into the movie. The sknf was scrapped in the original. Brought back for the Broadway musical. And then put in a re-release. The idea behind the song is to show more of the Enchanted Objects point of view. Which fits in the Broadway show as there are more short scenes with the Enchanted Objects scattered throughout the show. It's not my favourite part of the show, but it does fit and doesn't bother me within the 2.5 running time. Probably it is also helped because the Enchanted Objects are human size actors in the musical.

That same scene in the 90 minute animation would be skippable and make the movie feel longer than necessary because you miss the additional backstory. It drags.

Like fight or dance scenes can feel to long. The director and editor have to know when something is overstaying their welcome.
TRT (total running time) is something that directors, screenwriters, and editors agonise over. On average, one page of a screenplay equals about 1 minute of screen time. Studios want these to be as short as possible, which is roughly 90 minutes for a feature length MP. Of course, certain movies, like Oppenheimer for example, go far beyond that, but when you're Christopher Nolan and have proven yourself in Hollywood, you can do that. But there is a ton of anguish that goes on in the editing suite over scenes that are included and those that are cut. I teach film at the college level and have worked in the industry and this is one of the first things I teach budding film production students.

They really need to get over this urge to make everything 2 1/2 or 3 hours. The movies would be so much better.

I wonder if it's an over-reaction to all of us having to sit at home with nothing to do during the pandemic. Some of these directors now think packing as much action and adventure into a movie is what we now want to make up for that time? :scratchin

But too much is sometimes just too much. :headache:

Don't agree with the first statement. It depends on how the running time is used.

If a creator wants to tell to much or add too much unneccesary backstory or sidestep's, or is unable to kill their darlings, it can influence the running time and the quality.

I once heard that the second most important, (meaning crucial) person on a movie production is the film editor. The director has to choose someone whose judgement s/he really, really trusts to know and understand his/her vision for the film and that the film editor knows what they are doing. Then when the editor starts chopping out their favorite bits of the film, (and they ALL are favorite bits and of course wants to keep them all in,) s/he's got to then trust that s/he did hire the right person.

Last edited:
TRT (total running time) is something that directors, screenwriters, and editors agonise over. On average, one page of a screenplay equals about 1 minute of screen time. Studios want these to be as short as possible, which is roughly 90 minutes for a feature length MP. Of course, certain movies, like Oppenheimer for example, go far beyond that, but when you're Christopher Nolan and have proven yourself in Hollywood, you can do that. But there is a ton of anguish that goes on in the editing suite over scenes that are included and those that are cut. I teach film at the college level and have worked in the industry and this is one of the first things I teach budding film production students.
That's true of most commercial/commodity films (rom-coms, buddy pics, etc.), but serious films (like Oppenheimer), regardless of their subject matter, are crafted to tell their stories the way their creators see fit. Last year's Petite Maman was less than 75 minutes, and it wasn't a moment too long or short.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter