Which would you stay at and why? SS or OKW?

Goldilocks07

A rockin' mom and her sweet princess
I may take a short, last minute weekend vacation for just myself and my 9 year old, over Memorial Day Weekend. Clearly, all resorts are sold out for DVC, I'm left with Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. I've stayed at SS but it was 6 years ago and I don't really remember much about it. I've never stayed at OKW. If you had to choose, which would you suggest, and why? (FWIW, we usually stay at BLT, Poly, AKL or WL). Thanks!!

I've stayed at both and honestly love both. OKW has much bigger rooms. SSR is right by Disney Springs. When we stayed at SSR we were very close to the main building so it was easy to get around. Our time at OKW we had to drive to the front of the resort as the walk was too far with little ones and the intra-resort transportation took longer than driving our own vehicle. SSR has a slight edge for me and maybe that was simply due to the location we were in when we stayed there. I do think they have some great pools and slides there as well, if you will have any pool time.

Most OKW buildings have no elevator, so if you're not on the first floor, you'd have to take the stairs. If this is no problem, both resorts are very nice and have different niceties.

We've stayed at both twice and would lean towards SS but wouldn't be disappointed with either.
OKW 1 bed is better for 2 adults 2 teens (youngest is perfectly happy with the chair bed) and has slightly more room. SS is still plenty big though
SS has better quick service

Our favourite ever stay was in SS building 85. If we could pick this same location it would be SS every time

We've stayed at both twice and would lean towards SS but wouldn't be disappointed with either.
OKW 1 bed is better for 2 adults 2 teens (youngest is perfectly happy with the chair bed) and has slightly more room. SS is still plenty big though
SS has better quick service

Our favourite ever stay was in SS building 85. If we could pick this same location it would be SS every time

I keep hearing building 85 is great. Any feedback on this? We've stayed in this section but not that building before. Thanks!

I keep hearing building 85 is great. Any feedback on this? We've stayed in this section but not that building before. Thanks!
For us it was the close proximity to both the Grandstand pool and the main pool / main building.
Building 85 is closer to Carriage House than most of the preferred Springs rooms. It's also a really short walk to the boat dock.

Add in a balcony view over the golf course and it would be my choice every time

Last edited:

For us it was the close proximity to both the Grandstand pool and the main pool / main building.
Building 85 is closer to Hospitality House than most of the preferred Springs rooms. It's also a really short walk to the boat dock.

Add in a balcony view over the golf course and it would be my choice every time
Thanks for the feedback!

We love how close SS is to DS. The boat ride from OKW to DS is slow. Something that is fun to do is walk the nature trail from.SS along to golf course to OKW to Olivia's for dinner. Then take the boat to DS after for the ride. However I like being able to walk to DS!

Um, doesn't that mean not all resorts are sold out? 😁

Anyway, OKW because the units are significantly larger.

HA
I meant all the the other resorts are sold out. Sorry about that!!

And thank you all for the feedback, this was VERY helpful!!

I'd stay at OKW because the rooms are bigger and they have 2 beds in the studio. I'd stay at SSR because of the close proximity to DS and the feature pool. I don't think you can go wrong with either

I love OKW, it has a great vibe. I love the fact that the tallest building is 3 floors and the whole resort is spacious. I always ask for a building near the HH, but if not then near one of the quiet pools is great.

I have stayed in a lot of the DVC resort hotel types and they are fine for a few days but much prefer OKW style. You can walk, bus or boat to OKW.

Never stayed SS it just doesn’t appeal to me.

We love how close SS is to DS. The boat ride from OKW to DS is slow. Something that is fun to do is walk the nature trail from.SS along to golf course to OKW to Olivia's for dinner. Then take the boat to DS after for the ride. However I like being able to walk to DS!

We discovered the nature trail on our last visit and used it to go to Olivia's for breakfast. Then walked back to SSR. That said, if staying at OKW, it's possible to walk from there to DS, via the nature trail and then onwards from SSR, at least during the day. The path is not lit at night.

We're staying at OKW for our 4th trip in June, and just stayed at SSR in December. OKW definitely wins in room size in a 1BR, but for a studio, we liked SSR better because we like having a sofa during the day instead of 2 beds.

We loved the Paddock area, closest to the entrance road and the pool has a snack bar as well, so we could grab drinks and food when we needed. OKW Turtle Pond area has the same setup, so depending on location, it's a wash.

SSR was really far away to go to Artist's Palette from our room. Hated that. OKW main pool are is closer no matter where you stay lol.

They both have 4 bus stops, but OKW has less rooms so the buses are usually not crowded at OKW. We like the bus service from there.

For my family, they love OKW and like SSR.

Is there a map? I cannot wrap my head around OKC and SSR being near each other.

Is there a map? I cannot wrap my head around OKC and SSR being near each other.
If you picture OKW, and then across the street from it is Port Orleans. However, on the same side of the road as OKW, you'll run into Saratoga Springs. That's why people are talking about a pathway between the 2 resorts. It's a shaded golf cart path. I used to jog it many years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter