Which would you choose for a resort only stay with a 6 and 9 year old?

Which DVC property would you choose for a resort only stay for a 6 and 9 year old?

• VGF

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • AKL

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • BCV

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters
We do resort only stays sometimes and, this is just me personally, I cant do Epcot area or Monorail resorts, as it would drive me nuts to see that parks and not go in. Not to mention those resorts cost more for a reason, location.

AKV is a great choice, lots of on site activities and great pools.

Our favorite for resort only stays though is Saratoga Springs, especially after the room updates. 4 pools(5 really if you walk to the tree houses), tons of outside access for walking young kids around, close to Fort Wilderness for those activities, and of course Disney Springs. When pool hopping comes back Old Key West is right there too. Walkable even.
Thanks! I didn't really consider Saratoga Springs, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. Being so close to Disney Springs would be a huge advantage for resort only. Thanks.

I think AKL is a wonderful choice for a resort only stay, with an awesome number of activities. The pools there are fantastic for kids in your age group with some great areas just for kids and very manageable as an adult watching those kids. I think this is first place for both pools and animals in this age group. For my preferences, AKL and WL are also some of the most resort-like properties in WDW.

I really love the BCV pools as an adult and/or with kids who are strong swimmers, but these pools do require a bit more adult supervision in my experience - I’d pick this property if you have an interest in quick visits to EPCOT as part of this trip. My kids love the pastries and food from the France pavilion, so a quick run to grab food and bring it back to the resort is always appreciated.

I’ve also done VGF with a resort heavy focus (rather than park heavy), but that’s a third place for me for your specific request relative to resort-based activies and pools.

We own at AKL and VGF but also stay at BCV regularly with our 3 kids (similar ages to your family).

Of the 3 you listed, I would choose AKL. Two well themed pools, great kids splash area and Kidani community hall has tons of activities.

The only downside to BCV is if your kids aren't strong swimmers, that pool can be a nightmare. Also, are you going up and down the slide each time with your kids or are you comfortable enough to let your 6 yr old leave the gated pool area and walk over to the slide on their own? That was an issue in years past for our family.

VGF might be too close to MK to not visit at all! My kids would have a hard time physically seeing the rides (space mountain, astro orbiter) but not be able to go on them. I think there would be a lot of whining involved. Also, BBB at VGF is still closed (all locations are).

We have a resort only stay coming up in April. We're staying at Boulder Ridge (but as a family of 4 you could also stay at Copper Creek). We plan on doing all of the activities available at Fort Wilderness- horseback riding, archery, canoeing, fishing, etc. and the Fort is a short, direct bus ride from BRV. So that might be an option for you as well.

Our bigger contracts are at VWL, SSR and AKV. For resort only stays we prefer SSR even though AKV is a close second. The ability to just walk over to Disney Springs for meals can’t be beat. The grandkids love the great choices in pools as well as the ability to go to Goofy’s Candy Co. for an Icee or spend a few minutes at the Lego store. They offer lots of stuff to do at the Community Center for the kids, and we consider it to be the best Community Center on property. In addition, we usually take in a movie or bowling. Since we travel with a large party, we tend to like Landry’s restaurants for the ability to go without a reservation and there are 2 Landry’s within walking distance of SSR ..... just another plus.

My picks would be AKV for the animals and pools and the SSR for the pools and access by boat ride or walk to Disney Springs. I would not want to be next to a theme park and have to keep reminding them we are not going.

I love both the Beach Club and Animal Kingdom Villas. The GF is my least favorite resort, and my kids shared that view - the pools just didn't wow them. They really loved the pools at AKL, but the highlight was the animals. Everybody spent time out on the balconies watching. BC is my personal favorite resort. My kids absolutely love SAB, Beaches & Cream, and the quick walk to Epcot or HS. SAB was really hard when my kids were 6, 8, and 11. The six year old loved swimming in the lazy river with no tube. Watching her was nuts. All three of my kids are good swimmers, but I wasn't comfortable not having them all in my line of sight. Going to the slide alone is no big deal, but our one rule of thumb is that we always watched our kids at the pool. Trying to do that at SAB was tough.

I would pick AKL for kids that age, hands down. Two beautiful pools, animals to watch, and hopefully all the activities in the lobby come back soon. Mine loved drumming and also the live storytelling.

I wouldn't do resort only with kids this age. How frustrating for them to stay at WDW and not actually go to WDW. I'd just rent the points and go to some other resort. There are plenty of nice hotels that aren't at WDW.

I think if it were me, I'd pick AKL of those three. It might be hard to be in the EP or MK areas knowing you can't go into a park, I thought SAB didn't really live up to the hype, and the savannas are a very unique experience.

Thanks for all the comments (lots of ideas!) so far.

A few people mentioned not staying close to MK because of kids wanting to go, but if they wanted to go I'd just go for it so it's not really an issue I need to consider. I know the park does have to be booked but we're going during a slow time of year so I don't think that would be a problem either (at least something should be available).

I don't think that would even come up with my kids, because their favorite activities on vacation are swimming, playing, dining out (characters), etc. They have always been happy to go to the parks with us but it isn't number 1 on their list.

We are not hardcore park people anyway because of this (well maybe *I* could be but I suppress the urge :rotfl:). Prior to covid we usually just spent the morning in a park, and maybe return for evening events (fireworks/shows) a couple days over the trip. So basically planning on resort only but not boxed in on it either.

Thanks again! Really taking in all the the different suggestions. Funny because the resorts I'm strongly considering now aren't even ones on the poll :rotfl2:. Not indecisive at all!

Last edited:
Thanks! I didn't really consider Saratoga Springs, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. Being so close to Disney Springs would be a huge advantage for resort only. Thanks.

One thing to consider is meals. You mentioned the transportation issues you had at AKL, and it not being an issue for a resort-only stay. However, are you planning to make all your meals in your villa or eat out for most meals? AKL has some great food, but the options are pretty limited, especially in the Kidani building, so you'd probably want to use the transportation to get to Disney Springs or even other resorts for many meals. From SSR, you have a large variety and quantity of restaurants nearby.

I did, as long as there's a pool they're happy, lol. My daughter really wants to do BBB but not sure if it will be open anyway.

I think there is a BBB at Disney Springs also.

If summer, as you answered above, I would def say BC due to location for walking to 2 resorts and the pool.

I did, as long as there's a pool they're happy, lol. My daughter really wants to do BBB but not sure if it will be open anyway.

What's BBB?

If you're looking to be made up into a princess (or prince), there are former CMs/fairy godmothers who do this privately. You can find them on the Facebook group, Ear for Each Other.

AKV

(1) The pool at Jambo House is nice and so it the splash pad at Kidani.
(2) The animals right there outside your balcony are super cool.
(3) AKL used to have activities for children all day. We would set aside time for my DD to enjoy the resort. You may want to check the AKL thread to see if they are back.
(3) It has 4 great restaurants.
(4) It's away from everything else and you're in your own world.
(5) BCV is cool, but it's also difficult to watch multiple younger children at Stormalong Bay. The counter service choices are limited in the Boardwalk area and we usually eat inside Epcot, but you can't do that with a resort only trip.
(6) VGF is cool, but I COULD NOT be within the view of the MK and not go in. It would seriously make me crazy. Plus, I did feel it was a bit snooty even on the villas side.

Gosh--such a difficult decision!

I would give the edge to BCV for the availability to food and, of course, the pool. However, if your kids love to use the slide a lot, this will be such a pain for you as I didn't feel comfortable with my kids (when they were younger) going by themselves to it. (You have to leave the pool and cross the boardwalk path.) It is the BEST slide but annoying when the kids are little!

I would give second place to AKV. We prefer Kidani but hate the lack of food options there. With your kids, you might want to stay over in Jambo to have easy food access. If you have a car, it is a moot point. You are 5 minutes to tons of restaurants outside of Disney. We typically do that a good amount when we stay at AKV.

Third place would go to SSR. You could pool jump to all the pools, and you have Disney Springs. Actually, this could just tie with AKV. It is a lovely resort and close to lots of fun stuff!

Best of luck with your planning and choosing. I know you deserve this break after being stuck up north! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter