Which Week in October?

cutedisneygirly

DIS Veteran
Edited to adjust: We can go anytime from October 9-27, but would probably select 3 weekdays to try to avoid some crowds. What dates/days of the week would you choose? I am really out of practice as it has been 5 years since we last visited!

Do you think there will be a difference in crowds for October 9-11 vs October 16-18 (both are Monday-Wednesday)?

Last edited:
I think either week is going to be rough. October is the busiest time at the parks. The 9th is Columbus Day which could make it super busy. Mondays in general are always busy. If I had to pick, I'd go with the non-holiday so the 16-18th.

I think either week is going to be rough. October is the busiest time at the parks. The 9th is Columbus Day which could make it super busy. Mondays in general are always busy. If I had to pick, I'd go with the non-holiday so the 16-18th.
Yikes! Is it as busy as Christmas now? And I forgot about Columbus day. Thanks for the reminder! We are on a year-round school system so don't have Columbus day as a holiday.

Yikes! Is it as busy as Christmas now? And I forgot about Columbus day. Thanks for the reminder! We are on a year-round school system so don't have Columbus day as a holiday.
Busier.

I would actually suggest if you are going in October to choose weekend dates where the majority of MKeys are blocked. For the dates you listed Saturday the 14 and 21 all but the top tier Mkey are blocked.

You may also want to plan for Oogie Boogie Bash impacts. Since DCA shuts down early for the event, DLR is usually busier on the days of the Bash, and is really busy in the evening as people park hop.

The schedule changes weekly, so no way of knowing the days until the event info is released, but last years schedule may provide some insight.

Busier.

I would actually suggest if you are going in October to choose weekend dates where the majority of MKeys are blocked. For the dates you listed Saturday the 14 and 21 all but the top tier Mkey are blocked.
So crowds may actually be better if we choose to go over a weekend like Oct 20-22 because there won't be as many Magic Key holders visiting?

So crowds may actually be better if we choose to go over a weekend like Oct 20-22 because there won't be as many Magic Key holders visiting?
In theory, yes. That was my experience last fall. It was still insanely crowded, but not as bad as during the week. Certain rides like the Haunted Mansion overlay and Guardians will be bananas so as with all visits set realistic expectations and identify your priorities. Plan getting to the parks as early as possible and utilizing G+, take that mid day break and stay later. I would not recommend not getting G+ in October.

We were there last October from Sunday the 23rd through Wednesday the 26th. Sunday and Monday in DL was very busy but bearable with Genie+. Tuesday we did Oogie. Wednesday we went back to DL for the day and thought might be a bit slower than Sun/Mon -- but it was actually much worse. Even with Genie+ we could barely get on anything due to crazy long wait times and/or return times. It was so busy we gave up and left the parks early (around 4pm). Looking back I'm guessing many passholders being blocked out for Sun/Mon helped those days be not quite as bad, so I'd recommend trying for the 20-22 like you mention. October use to be our go-to park visit time for low crowds but sadly those days are long gone.

We did Oct 21 & 22 last year, which were Friday and Saturday (OBB on the 23rd). Our park days were kinda miserable, just so crowded, and wait times were so far out that we weren't able to make good use of Genie+. OBB was awesome, and really the only redeeming factor of the trip.

We did Oct 21 & 22 last year, which were Friday and Saturday (OBB on the 23rd). Our park days were kinda miserable, just so crowded, and wait times were so far out that we weren't able to make good use of Genie+. OBB was awesome, and really the only redeeming factor of the trip.

Sounds like you were there right before us. Yeah, that was our exact experience. We did the Tuesday OBB and it was fantastic. Lots of candy and treats, unique character experiences, Villains Grove (so cool!), and loads of rides with barely any wait...... But the rest of the trip was extremely disappointing/frustrating due to the crowds. We've been a bunch of times so it wasn't the end of the world, but if that had been our first visit I'm not sure we'd ever go to DL again.

Agh my anxiety is so high now. I was not expecting ridiculous crowd levels in October! I figured weekends would be ridiculous but we would be OK during the weekdays. So do you all think Friday, Saturday, Sunday may be best?

Was there Oct. 16 -21st (only time we could go) and it was VERY busy and really hot, like FL summer hot. We were able to do everything we wanted by doing rope drop (take advantage of early entry if you are staying on site) and buying Genie+. Be prepared to mobile order, too because even the lines for food were long. We didn't plan and waited 40 minutes for Bengal BBQ on our first day. Last time we made that mistake! The crowds did die down after the projections on Main Street ended, remember they don't do fireworks on weekdays. We still had a great time!

Agh my anxiety is so high now. I was not expecting ridiculous crowd levels in October! I figured weekends would be ridiculous but we would be OK during the weekdays. So do you all think Friday, Saturday, Sunday may be best?
Yes, that likely will be the best. You will still have a great trip, especially because you can set your expectations appropriately and anticipate crowds. Split up your priorities between your 3 days so you aren’t trying to do it all at once. And who knows, with the craziness of this past October maybe people will stay away this coming one. ;)

Our family uses the “rule of threes” to manage our 3 boy’s expectations on crowded days - 3 rides (priorities, usually 1 per kid or they decide together on them. I use G+ for these and treat any extras as bonus), 3 snacks, 3 hr break! ;)

The changes to G+ allowing you to modify your return times is a game changer, especially on crowded days. You will get much more use of it than when you were stuck with whatever return time you got. I was there recently on a bananas day and was able to refresh an afternoon LL to one with an immediate return time. Like I said: game changer.

Can you go a different month? September and November will be much nicer.

Can you go a different month? September and November will be much nicer.
I wish we could, but that would require pulling our kids out of school. Their break is Oct 9-27. I am wondering now if we should bring it up to the kids about the predicted crowds and try to push to go during the first week of February.

I wish we could, but that would require pulling our kids out of school. Their break is Oct 9-27. I am wondering now if we should bring it up to the kids about the predicted crowds and try to push to go during the first week of February.
You mentioned anxiety around the idea of crowds. Disneyland is crowded pretty much all the time now, but it’s especially intense in October. Halloween time is still really fun though, so if you can get on board with the idea of EXTREME crowds, have a plan, rope drop for the first two hours of lesser crowds, get Genie+, plan around Oogie Boogie nights (maybe attend an Oogie Boogie night), it can still be a good time. But just get your expectations in order because even for a very regular visitor to Disneyland like myself, October is a whole other level.

We talked to the kids last night and out oldest said NOPE to big crowds and wanted to go when it is less crowded. Apparently the Halloween decor was not that important to him as I thought it was haha! The youngest was indifferent to the decision. So I think we will postpone to early February when (hopefully) it will be more managable.

Thank you all for your input! I am glad we found out now how crazy it could potentially be rather than when we are there.

We talked to the kids last night and out oldest said NOPE to big crowds and wanted to go when it is less crowded. Apparently the Halloween decor was not that important to him as I thought it was haha! The youngest was indifferent to the decision. So I think we will postpone to early February when (hopefully) it will be more managable.

Thank you all for your input! I am glad we found out now how crazy it could potentially be rather than when we are there.
I really recommend summer! Not nearly as crowded as October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter