Which two restaurants?

El&Asmom

DIS Veteran
If you had to pick one restaurant in DL and one in DCA for a once in a lifetime DL trip, which two would you chose? Likely both for lunch or dinner though we would be open to a third pick for breakfast. We are WDW regulars trying out DL for the first time next summer and likely won't be back anytime soon. Our kids will be 15, 12, 9 and 5. They're not into princesses or characters but are happy to see them. We prefer really good food to characters. Leaning toward Cafe Orleans in DL, but have no idea in DCA. Thanks!

For DL, that's a tough choice. I really like the food and atmosphere at Cafe Orleans, but the Blue Bayou is the iconic restaurant in the park. Blue Bayou gets mixed reviews here on the Disboards, but I've always enjoyed my meal there. If you do go to Blue Bayou, it's worth requesting a waterside table and waiting for one (they usually take requests when you check-in, but the wait can be lengthy).

Over in DCA, there really aren't as many TS location choices (Carthay Circle, WCT, and Ariel's are the only TS locations that come to mind - there are three lounges, but those might not work so well with your family because they don't take reservations and the walk-up waits can be pretty long). For my family, we'd probably opt for WCT (maybe do the WoC dining package). Carthay has been a bit hit or miss for my family, so we've kind of moved away from going there. Otherwise, you might consider one of the CS locations in DCA (Flo's is pretty good).

Assuming Club 33 is off the table I would say Blue Bayou in Disneyland. It's so iconic, and the ambiance is second to none in the park. I mostly end up eating at Café Orleans, which is also a great spot and it's much easier to get a reservation.

In DCA lunch at Cove Bar is always fun, or even dinner there. Lobster nachos yum! And it has a great view of the Pier, so you get to watch Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel while you eat :)

DCA - Carthay Circle.

DL - the only place I've thought, "this is really good" in the past year has been Blue Bayou (and I've probably eaten a dozen meals in the park this past year). FWIW, I haven't had a meal at Cafe Orleans in several years.

DL--Cafe Orleans
DCA--Still figuring out our "can't be missed" spot. There are plenty of really good things, though!

Have always had good food at Wine Country Trattoria. Love the ambiance and music outside at sunset/evening.

Love the ambiance at Blue Bayou as well but the food is meh. Still worth going if tou've never been IMO.

I'd pick Carthay circle in DCA and Blue Bayou in DL (for ambiance). TS meals aren't as plentiful at Disneyland but QS seems better than at WDW.
Just read the menus and go with what sounds good. For some reason my kids really dislike most of the menu at Cafe Orleans (even the monte cristo); they are typically adventurous eaters, but just don't like this place.

Agree, Blue Bayou for DL if you are interested in doing something unique that you can't do in WDW (nor anywhere else, I believe). Plus if you like Fantasmic! in WDW you should experience it once in DL and you can do the BB dining package and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Have never been overly excited about the food but the atmosphere is worth in IMHO. We only did Carthay Circle once both because of the expense and because of how much time it took out of our day (we are usually only there 3 days at the most) but we thought the food and the service was wonderful. But for atmosphere, our "go to" in CA is Flo's - go there at dusk to watch the lights come on like in the movie and sit on the side watching RSR. Half our group grabs something at the Cozy Cones which are so fun and come over. For fine dining, people love the Napa Rose in the Grand Californian - not quite in CA but almost. We sent DS and DDIL there on honeymoon but have never been there ourselves.

For DCA, I would venture a little into the GCH and visit the Napa Rose. If not that, then the Cove Bar. The scenery cannot be beat. Get there early.

For Disneyland Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe, or Plaza Inn; depends on which meal.

We love Cove Bar in DCA. For my family, it's the one restaurant we *have* to do every trip. In Disneyland, we prefer Cafe Orleans to the other TS restaurants. But, for a once in a lifetime trip, I would maybe opt to eat at Blue Bayou, not for the food, but for the experience of eating inside POTC. There's just something about it that feels special, especially for kids. If you do end up doing a third TS meal for breakfast, I would 100% pick Carnation Cafe. Nothing beats sitting outside on Main Street, eating a mickey waffle, and people watching.

Honestly, for me, DLR is about food experiences rather than a couple singular TS restaurants. I have a list of favorite snack and food items that I like to have on trips, and that is my focus rather than picking singular restaurants, which I am more likely to do for a WDW visit. I think you have to approach DLR differently. Since it's a big locals park, a lot of great food items aren't limited to TS meals, which locals are less likely to indulge in. Some of my favorites are Mickey macarons (the raspberry is THE best) and Matterhorn macaroons from Jolly Holiday, a chimichanga, a corn dog from the Little Red Wagon, a apple slushy (available in multiple places), churros, Mickey head sourdough bread, and that's just a start.

If I was picking TS, I would choose Carnation Cafe in DL (took family who are WDW regulars there recently on their first visit, and it was very well-received) and Storytellers at DCA because it is in the Grand Californian (also well received by same family) and even though that's outside the park, it's super close and counts for us.

My hands down picks for once in a lifetime trips are Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle. Blue Bayou food can admittedly be hit or miss but our last few meals have been good. The atmosphere is one of a kind and the kids will be thrilled to be able to dine inside of the Pirates of the Caribbean. It's just so cool (and this is coming from an adult who grew up getting to dine there once in awhile on our trips when I was young, even today I find it really neat!). Carthay Circle is found in DCA and the food is amazing. Absolutely delicious, we were completely blown away. The menu changes seasonally, so what you see today might not be what's there in a few months. Carthay Circle is beautiful and full of Disney's Hollywood history. They put so much research into it!

DL--Cafe Orleans
DCA--Still figuring out our "can't be missed" spot. There are plenty of really good things, though!
Took us years to figure that out for DCA, we love so many dining options in DL but DCA was just always a bust for us. We had avoided Carthay after early reviews of mediocre meals with high prices but we ventured over their last Nov for the first time seeing good reviews here on the DIS and now we have a can't miss TS in DCA.

If you are willing to go to the GCH, then my vote would be Napa Rose but if not then I would go to Carthay Circle in DCA. Blue Bayou has always been iffy for food quality but as others have pointed out, the ambience is not to be missed. If it were me, I would book BB for the first lunch of the day and ask for a waterside table, go to Napa Rose (Or Carthay Circle) for lunch and if you have another lunch or dinner available, then I would go to Plaza Inn for the fried chicken!

At DCA we love WCT for lunch on the outside patio. Great atmosphere for a relaxing lunch after a busy Park morning.

In DL we like Cafe Orleans on the outside patio. Again, it's all about the relaxing atmosphere and great people watching. Carnation Cafe would be 2nd choice for breakfast or lunch on the patio. For CS we really like Rancho Del Zocalo, on the patio, of course!

Really, tho, I suggest looking at menus and seeing what looks good to your family. It's also very easy to eat in Downtown Disney on a park day. If budget is a concern Pizza Press across the street is good too.

We just got back from our first family trip to DL. Our favorites were Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle. We also really liked Jolly Holiday which is a QS. It was great place to sit and enjoy the parks and the cinnamon rolls are so good there.

Blue Bayou at DL (get reservation for beginning of lunch or dinner seating and ask for waterside - little to no wait since you are first seating), Carthay Circle for DCA. We went to most TS places the year we had an AP and we still went to those two places more than anywhere else.

DCA: Carthay Circle, hands down best in the resort.

DL: Blue Bayou is iconic, but really really the food is bad and the service is terrible, so I would get a Fantasmic! package for the first show (personally, I would do the premium package so you can stay at your table during the show, but that is a personal preference) at River Belle since it is a once in a lifetime trip, you will get a good place to watch Fantasmic! from as well as a good place to watch the fireworks from and the food and service are both a lot better than Blue Bayou. If Fantasmic! isn't your thing, go with Carnation Cafe on Main Street.

Hotels: PCH Grill has a very underrated buffet that has good food, you can also order fresh pizza at no extra cost and the service is great, additionally they are never very crowded, you can almost always walk up without a reservation and get straight in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter