Which Three Character Meals Would You Choose?

Shibafam2011

Earning My Ears
After a few early mornings and obsessive looking we managed to get these reservations for Character Meals during our upcoming trip. However, I think five character meals for one trip (seven days) is a little much. With that said, I would love input from others!

Of these character meals, which three would you choose for first time ever visiting Disney World? I will add that we have a three year old in the group who loves all of the characters at each of these character meals.
  • Chef Mickey's - Dinner
  • Tusker House - Lunch
  • Topolino's - Breakfast
  • Hollywood and Vine - Breakfast
  • Garden Grill - Lunch
Thank you! :)

I’m good w all , tbh. Different meals, different days and all unique.
I am very partial to GG. I’ve had Pluto jumping in the seat next to me to get a servers attention because we didn’t have drinks yet. A memory thatmade us laugh so much (we are a party of 2 adults 🤣)

H&V and CM would be the 2 at the bottom of the list for purely personal reasons, they are both very popular in general
have fun!

We do Tusker House every time the food is a bit more unique and the character interaction has always been great. Plus we really like their costumes.
We've not been to Topolino's breakfast, but it gets high marks from those that have.
Just ate at GG last month the food was very good and we enjoyed the rotating restaurant as it circled living with the land.
If Chef Mickey's goes back to their old buffet... No thanks! But it is getting glowing reviews for their new "family style" menu.
Ultimately, we are park people so we prefer eating at in park restaurants for the moat part rather than taking the time to run around to different resorts. So where you choose to spend your time matters as well.

After a few early mornings and obsessive looking we managed to get these reservations for Character Meals during our upcoming trip. However, I think five character meals for one trip (seven days) is a little much. With that said, I would love input from others!

Of these character meals, which three would you choose for first time ever visiting Disney World? I will add that we have a three year old in the group who loves all of the characters at each of these character meals.
  • Chef Mickey's - Dinner
  • Tusker House - Lunch
  • Topolino's - Breakfast
  • Garden Grill - Lunch
we did 5 character meals during a week-long trip one time, and while they were ALL great experiences, by the 4th one, I was like 'OMG here come those damn characters again, I just want to eat my food.' This was years ago, when kids were SO into their autograph books, etc, so we planned restaurants that would have different characters at each meal, maybe doubled up on the fab 5.
Anyway, we haven't been back to any since they changed the menus/no buffets, but we always loved the food at Tusker House, and the character interactions there. We'd go back there even when kids were older/not just for the characters. Back in the day, Chef Mickey had the worst food, but also some of the best interaction. Garden Grill was nice for variety/chip and dale.
Happy planning!

• Chef Mickey's - Dinner
  • Tusker House - Lunch
  • Topolino's - Breakfast
  • Garden Grill - Lunch
Chef Mickey's Dinner is about 1,000x better than it was and has good quality now, Topolino's breakfast when you combine quality of food to price is probably the best value and I'd go Garden Grill only because Tusker House is not known right now and a LOT of great food options at AK. Don't skip Topolinos, they let you order whatever you want, so it's not family style but essential is. Make sure to get the steak as part of it too plus they have the Guava juice and of course the views.

The food is not great at Chef Mickey's, but I consider it a Disney rite-of-passage, so I would keep it. Plus it has the most characters: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto.

Garden Grill and Tusker House have great interaction and the food is good.

I've never been to Topolino's or H&V. I tried to like the vlogger videos of Topolino's, watched probably 8 or 9 of them, and for some reason was just annoyed with it each time. I don't know why? Plenty of people seem to love it, though.

Topolinos, Garden Grill & Tusker House. Topolinos is a welcome change in the character meal world...I left feeling like my kids got to see characters AND I actually enjoyed my meal.

I have no desire to ever go to Chef Mickey's or H&V again, but that's just our family.

The food quality might be lost on a 3-year old (though the Mickey waffle dippers are awfully cute) but to me, the food and service at Topolino's puts it in a class by itself. It is a set price per person but you can order "extra" -- for example on our last trip we each ordered an entree and then got the waffles "for the table." The "extra" comes as a side not a full entree (i.e. no bacon, sausage or other sides). We also got refills on the pastry basket - which is full of yumminess. The character interaction is done really well and fun to see them in their European vacation outfits (Mickey is a painter, Minnie is a poet, Donald a sculptor, and Daisy a dancer). They come out individually and then all four at once in a parade of sorts. We took our time and probably had the characters cycle through 3 times. It almost felt like there was always a character somewhere in the room but without the chaotic feel that some other spots have. If you do opt to try here, ask to be seated in the main room.

Tough choice! Chef Mickey's is certainly iconic, but I know it can get loud. Haven't had Topolino's yet, but Hollywood & Vine and Tusker House are fun. I love the safari costumes especially at TH. Personally I'd go with TH and H&V...

With the 3 year old in mind, I would think H&V, CM, and GG. I might be a bit biased towards H&V since we had a fun interaction with a talking Mickey (I'm pretty sure?) last visit. Haven't had GG but heard it's very nice and I think the location is quite fun.

Honestly, it's not unreasonable to do five character meals during a seven day trip, particularly if you don't go often.
We schedule lots of character meals; we find it is worth the splurge for us. (We stay in values and wait two or three years between trips, but we live it up when we go.)

If you truly want to pair it down to three, I will say that everyone in our family loved Garden Grill. Tusker House comes in at a close second. We haven't been to Topolino's yet, but I very much hope to get a breakfast reservation on our next trip.

Chef Mickey's is like a glorified Golden Corral, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. My husband and daughter enjoy Golden Corral, so Chef Mickey felt very familiar but with Mickey and friends. The restaurant also has a happy, celebratory atmosphere. I would go back.

I've never been to Hollywood and Vine.

Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Breakfast- Crystal Palace
Lunch- Tusker House
Dinner- Tusker House

I'm not a big fan of buffets. Most in my opinion are about stack it high, build it wide, and don't worry about the quality. (Chef Mickey). Of the character buffets these two above are my favorites. Tusker House because the character interaction is very good, and the food, well, for a buffet it's pretty good. As for Crystal Palace... Not going to lie; It's all about the "BREAKFAST LASAGNA." :)

Breakfast- Crystal Palace
Lunch- Tusker House
Dinner- Tusker House

I'm not a big fan of buffets. Most in my opinion are about stack it high, build it wide, and don't worry about the quality. (Chef Mickey). Of the character buffets these two above are my favorites. Tusker House because the character interaction is very good, and the food, well, for a buffet it's pretty good. As for Crystal Palace... Not going to lie; It's all about the "BREAKFAST LASAGNA." :)

There are no more buffets. It is all sit down "family style, all you care to eat" meals.

I was hoping to get Crystal Palace with Pooh for my 4yo, but looks like there are no characters here at the moment & no breakfast. (I used to love the omelet station here. )

I love chef mickeys & garden grill.
we do breakfast at CM & the food is always good.
I love breakfast at GG too. It is so so good!
the characters there are awesome!

• Chef Mickey's - Dinner
  • Tusker House - Lunch
  • Topolino's - Breakfast
  • Garden Grill - Lunch
I would pick Garden Grill and Tusker House. GG is a unique experience with great characters. TH has great characters in their safari outfits which I loved.

It has been awhile since we have eaten any of these places, but when we ate at Chef Mickey's it was a huge disappointment.
The food wasn't that good and the character interaction was rushed.

Best food and character interaction we have had was at Garden Grill and Tusker House. Tusker House was for breakfast and was so yummy. The food at Garden Grill was yummy too. My kids loved that they could decorate their own cupcakes...not sure if that is the dessert now or not, but it was fun for them.

We haven't eaten at your other choices.

One you didn't mention was Crystal Palace. We had great character interaction there as well as yummy food. We booked the last breakfast time and were able to enjoy the breakfast foods and lunch foods as they brought them out. They told us to stay as long as we wanted and the characters came around twice to see us! :-)

Chef Mickey's Dinner is about 1,000x better than it was and has good quality now, Topolino's breakfast when you combine quality of food to price is probably the best value and I'd go Garden Grill only because Tusker House is not known right now and a LOT of great food options at AK. Don't skip Topolinos, they let you order whatever you want, so it's not family style but essential is. Make sure to get the steak as part of it too plus they have the Guava juice and of course the views.

is ordering extra stuff just fir breakfast or fir each meal?? Are they really not strict about it? We all like to eat and would want to try different things if we were allowed! We hardly ever let food go to waste!!!

• Chef Mickey's - Dinner
  • Tusker House - Lunch
  • Topolino's - Breakfast
  • Garden Grill - Lunch

I would rank them Topolino's first, Chef Mickey's, then Garden Grill.

As other people have already posted, Topolino's is by far my favorite and the best value for a character breakfast (out of the current options). The food is unique, the price is reasonable (for character dining), you get to visit the Rivieria, and the characters rotate through very frequently! We ate there for breakfast in December 2019, right when the resort opened, and was blown away by the quality and the views.

Chef Mickey's comes in as my second choice because of the location and the character outfits, but if possible, I would recommend the breakfast over the dinner. I haven't always been impressed with the quality of food at Chef Mickey's so I feel like they tend to mess up the breakfast options less - your classic scrambled eggs, mickey waffles, etc. and then you also have great lighting for your character shots. However, the dinner option isn't bad and you still get to meet all of the characters. I would recommend this spot because it has the fab five and has options for picky eaters.

This last choice was a little tougher because it all depends on who's in your party and what your preferences are. Garden Grill is great if you want to see a few characters you haven't seen yet (Chip & Dale) and in a cool dining environment. Food is average at best, but you're mainly there for the experience. Tusker House is on the pricey end, but does have the unique safari-themed outfits and serves food that is different from many of the other buffet options. However, if you have any picky eaters in the group, they may not enjoy the curry shrimp or the moroccan-spiced beef. With young toddlers in my travel party, you would think that I would rank Hollywood and Vine slightly higher, but unless you know the characters (Doc McStuffins, Jake, etc.), it may not be that exciting for your group. The menu has been significantly upgraded since my last visit there, but seems a little mismatched with the type of characters you're meeting (Disney Junior & truffled risotto/seared salmon??).

We're headed to Disney in July and have the following restaurants booked and happy to answer any questions:
Trattoria al Forno, Chefs de France, Mama Melrose Ristorante, Tusker House, Grand Floridian Cafe, Be Our Guest (Prix Fixe), Topolino’s Terrace, Chef Mickey’s, Wine Bar George, Via Napoli.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter