Which single stroller to buy?

catsinawindow

Mouseketeer
I see there's a lot of stroller threads on this board, but none exactly what I want to ask on this first page, so I'm going to make my own!

We have a 2-year-old who will be about 2.5 when we go to Disney in July. Other kids will be 8 and 11, so no strollers for them. The stroller we've been using for the toddler was a hand me down and is on its last leg. I'm thinking about getting a new stroller and would want it to be a good choice for bringing to Disney. If we're looking for a single stroller with good sun shade, lay-flat ability, good storage both below and for cups (even if this is purchased separately), and less than $200, what would you recommend? TIA!

I see there's a lot of stroller threads on this board, but none exactly what I want to ask on this first page, so I'm going to make my own!

We have a 2-year-old who will be about 2.5 when we go to Disney in July. Other kids will be 8 and 11, so no strollers for them. The stroller we've been using for the toddler was a hand me down and is on its last leg. I'm thinking about getting a new stroller and would want it to be a good choice for bringing to Disney. If we're looking for a single stroller with good sun shade, lay-flat ability, good storage both below and for cups (even if this is purchased separately), and less than $200, what would you recommend? TIA!

We had a City Mini that worked perfectly for our trips. During warmer trips pulling the sun shade and clipping a stroller fan to cool things inside was perfect. Also plenty of storage for drinks and storage below for bags. The flat storage is there, but it still takes up some space and you do need to take things out of the storage area to collapse it. I managed to traverse the WDW busses with ours just fine.

We had a City Mini that worked perfectly for our trips. During warmer trips pulling the sun shade and clipping a stroller fan to cool things inside was perfect. Also plenty of storage for drinks and storage below for bags. The flat storage is there, but it still takes up some space and you do need to take things out of the storage area to collapse it. I managed to traverse the WDW busses with ours just fine.
Thanks! I'll check out a City Mini!

We have a city mini gt that we bought off FB marketplace just for travel. You can usually find a decent deal secondhand. It is super easy to maneuver around Disney. My hubs finally understood as he was zipping around people at MK why even before we were pregnant that I would say we were getting a city mini gt for our Disney stroller. My 2 year old has been fine sleeping in it while fully reclined and the sunshade is really big. We also have the newer gt2 for our everyday stroller at home so would recommend either edition.

Check out Zoe Strollers… we bought the double as our Disney/travel stroller (my boys are 23 months apart). It is soooo light, has tons of features, an amazing sun shade, and folds like a breeze. Super easy getting on/off Disney buses. We’ve flown with it dozens of times and it still looks brand new (we gate check it in an inexpensive stroller bag I got on amazon). I think the single is right at $200.

Maclaren Strollers are great. We used it until the youngest was 7. They are light and fold up small.

I don't have a specific suggestion other than to get one with the big front wheel vs a traditional stroller. I found them much easier to push and navigate thru crowds.
We used our big double front wheel model to get people out of the way with the December crowds... popcorn::

We loved our Maclaren Techno XT for all of our Disney trips with young kids (starting when our oldest was 6 months) but it’s definitely out of the $200 budget unless you can find one used. If you can, go for it as it has bigger wheels and larger sunshade than most umbrella strollers (and also lays flat but that’s not as important with a 2 year old).

Whatever you buy look for used ones. I've found great deals online that were in good condition. We had a Maclaren twin techno for our last trip. Next trip only our youngest will need a stroller. I have a single Maclaren but there isn't much storage and it tips very easily if you hang too much off the back. I'm planning on buying a City mini before we go. I've seen lots them $50-100 used.

Didn't follow directions, so this rec is $389 MSRP right now (I've seen it as low as $250, not sure if legit deal), but the Citi Mini GT2 has served us well for our DLR trips. We bought the accompanying travel bag ($100), and the system packs flat for flights with wheel removal.

What I like most about it is I can take toddler out of the stroller, hold them with one arm, and pull the collapse strap with the other in one motion while walking to where I need to go. I will admit, though, by the end of the day when the undercarriage is filled with Disney stuff, this is impossible.

I've rented the non-GT version, and it was nice, but I didn't like the wheels as much as the GT2.

We loved our Britax B-Agile. They run $170 new, and have most of the features you mentioned. Not lay flat IIRC, but good recline angle, and we never had a problem with our DD sleeping in it! If you’re flying with it, it’s sometimes nice to have something that isn’t top of the line, so you don’t worry when they scuff it up a little on the plane.

Really similar design to the City Mini - almost identical?

The one handed folding mechanism is terrific when you’re making your way through airports!

sleeping is not an issue! :-)

We have a city mini gt that we bought off FB marketplace just for travel. You can usually find a decent deal secondhand. It is super easy to maneuver around Disney. My hubs finally understood as he was zipping around people at MK why even before we were pregnant that I would say we were getting a city mini gt for our Disney stroller. My 2 year old has been fine sleeping in it while fully reclined and the sunshade is really big. We also have the newer gt2 for our everyday stroller at home so would recommend either edition.
Yes, secondhand for baby gear is definitely the best! Looking around, there does appear to be a good supply of the City mini GT available for a good price around here. Thanks for the recs!

Check out Zoe Strollers… we bought the double as our Disney/travel stroller (my boys are 23 months apart). It is soooo light, has tons of features, an amazing sun shade, and folds like a breeze. Super easy getting on/off Disney buses. We’ve flown with it dozens of times and it still looks brand new (we gate check it in an inexpensive stroller bag I got on amazon). I think the single is right at $200.
Never heard of Zoe strollers, will have to look into! Thanks for the rec!

Didn't follow directions, so this rec is $389 MSRP right now (I've seen it as low as $250, not sure if legit deal), but the Citi Mini GT2 has served us well for our DLR trips. We bought the accompanying travel bag ($100), and the system packs flat for flights with wheel removal.

What I like most about it is I can take toddler out of the stroller, hold them with one arm, and pull the collapse strap with the other in one motion while walking to where I need to go. I will admit, though, by the end of the day when the undercarriage is filled with Disney stuff, this is impossible.

I've rented the non-GT version, and it was nice, but I didn't like the wheels as much as the GT2.
Glad to hear you like it! Looking on marketplace sites, the GT appears to be much more available, but I'll keep my eyes out for a GT2!

We loved our Britax B-Agile. They run $170 new, and have most of the features you mentioned. Not lay flat IIRC, but good recline angle, and we never had a problem with our DD sleeping in it! If you’re flying with it, it’s sometimes nice to have something that isn’t top of the line, so you don’t worry when they scuff it up a little on the plane.

Really similar design to the City Mini - almost identical?

The one handed folding mechanism is terrific when you’re making your way through airports!

sleeping is not an issue! :-)
View attachment 644835
A Britax B-Agile is what we have now that is breaking (admittedly I got it for free from a friend, so no idea how long a life it had before then). It certainly works pretty well and has lots of storage, but I find the lay-down feature hard to use with a kid sitting inside and the fold-up a bit clunky. I wonder if the City Mini GT is smoother in those two regards. Otherwise, I agree it's a really good stroller!

A Britax B-Agile is what we have now that is breaking (admittedly I got it for free from a friend, so no idea how long a life it had before then). It certainly works pretty well and has lots of storage, but I find the lay-down feature hard to use with a kid sitting inside and the fold-up a bit clunky. I wonder if the City Mini GT is smoother in those two regards. Otherwise, I agree it's a really good stroller!
When you want to recline (even with the child sitting in the stroller already) is super easy to do. There is a latch in the back that you just squeeze and you control how much release there is for the recline. The fold up is truly one hand. You just pull up and it folds in half. We love our GT/GT2. The GT2 is lighter to handle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter