Which side of the ships are the gangways?

lklgoodman

DIS Veteran
Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question. Right now I have a hold on 2 cruises both are midship on deck 2, one on the Wonder the other is on the Fantasy, both are port side. I just want to make sure we aren't woken up really early whenever we get to the ports because of any noise that could occur from the gangways being lowered. I did a horrible job of picking our cabin on our last cruise and would like to avoid the bowling ball being dropped above us sound all night long for our next cruise!! I've read reviews of the cabins but some of them are really old or there aren't any for the cabins I'm looking at. Thanks

Castaway Cay you disembark on the Port side. Port Canaveral is Starboard. Nassau I think can be either side. Not sure of the other ports.

On the Dream, Castaway Cay and Nassau were both port side gangways.

Have you seen other posts this morning related to port/starboard availability? The thought is that port cabins are shown first; starboard will show up when more port ones are booked. Maybe keep checking and change staterooms if desired?

Ooops, silly me!! Thanks I didn't realize that the ships had gangways on both sides of the ships. Guess they would have to though. I did see that they release the starboard side later.

On the Dream, Castaway Cay and Nassau were both port side gangways.

Have you seen other posts this morning related to port/starboard availability? The thought is that port cabins are shown first; starboard will show up when more port ones are booked. Maybe keep checking and change staterooms if desired?
Starboard is available- you just have to call in to book it early on. You don't have to wait.

Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question. Right now I have a hold on 2 cruises both are midship on deck 2, one on the Wonder the other is on the Fantasy, both are port side. I just want to make sure we aren't woken up really early whenever we get to the ports because of any noise that could occur from the gangways being lowered. I did a horrible job of picking our cabin on our last cruise and would like to avoid the bowling ball being dropped above us sound all night long for our next cruise!! I've read reviews of the cabins but some of them are really old or there aren't any for the cabins I'm looking at. Thanks
We've been on deck 2 and it can be noisy at times.

As others have mentioned, gangways are on both sides. The ships generally follow the same docking positions at ports. Port is pierside at Nassau and Castaway Cay. However, any maintenance or crew drills can dictate which direction the ship faces.

FYI...we were on the Wonder for the Alaska cruise a month ago. For the first time EVER used the gangway next to the service counter on deck 3 port side (behind the curtains). Went to have breakfast and the security screening equipment was all set up and being tested. Never knew it was there with all the sailing we have done on the Wonder.

On both of our cruises on the classics, we disembarked starboard side in Nassau, and port side at Castaway Cay. In Key West we were port side once and starboard once (once at the naval yard, once in town). So I think it depends on the port, the dock, etc.

It definitely changes from port to port on the Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise. And also (for us anyway) in Alaska. I've also seen the Dream back in at Nassau as well as pull in, so that one depends, too.

It definitely changes from port to port on the Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise. And also (for us anyway) in Alaska. I've also seen the Dream back in at Nassau as well as pull in, so that one depends, too.
In most cases DCL ships back into Castaway Cay. Unless they will be running lifeboat drills for crew assigned to that side of the ship, or something needs attention on the starboard side of the ship (easier to reach from dock).

In most cases DCL ships back into Castaway Cay. Unless they will be running lifeboat drills for crew assigned to that side of the ship, or something needs attention on the starboard side of the ship (easier to reach from dock).

Yeah, I feel that one is pretty reliable which is why I didn't mention it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter