Which ship?

Reasons why people avoid the Disney Wish maybe the duration of the cruise is too short or maybe the ship could be too big to get around.
Size is not the problem. Wish is barely larger than Fantasy/Dream and has the same number of staterooms. The main critics concerning Wish are related to the ship’s layout, including the dining rooms, the theming of the public spaces and the cost.

For a first time cruiser, outside of the cost, the other ‘problems’ should not prevent them from sailing on her. She is not a bad ship and most guests sailing on her will have a great time. The critics are mainly those of repeat DCL cruisers, that compare her to the other ships.

Size is not the problem. Wish is barely larger than Fantasy/Dream and has the same number of staterooms. The main critics concerning Wish are related to the ship’s layout, including the dining rooms, the theming of the public spaces and the cost.

For a first time cruiser, outside of the cost, the other ‘problems’ should not prevent them from sailing on her. She is not a bad ship and most guests sailing on her will have a great time. The critics are mainly those of repeat DCL cruisers, that compare her to the other ships.
On the Disney Wish in the hyperspace lounge have you heard of a cocktail called kaiburr crystal cocktail?

As a first time cruiser, we went with the Dream in 2014, mainly because we didn't want our first cruise to be 7 nights and hate it. And it sailed out of PC, so that was easy to bundle into a parks trip.

Honestly we're doing the wish next because we don't want to gamble on a 7 night cruise with our kids right out the gate, and Orlando is easier for us to fly into than FLL, or we would have done the Dream in a heartbeat.

As a first time cruiser, we went with the Dream in 2014, mainly because we didn't want our first cruise to be 7 nights and hate it. And it sailed out of PC, so that was easy to bundle into a parks trip.

Honestly we're doing the wish next because we don't want to gamble on a 7 night cruise with our kids right out the gate, and Orlando is easier for us to fly into than FLL, or we would have done the Dream in a heartbeat.
This.

A lot of people always so go longer, but for a first time cruiser, you don't know how you will do on a ship. Three nights gives you a taste, is cheaper and only takes 2 PTO days as it is an extending weekend. If you do end up hating the experience, which some do, you are not out as much. Especially compared to being miserable if you feel trapped.

This.

A lot of people always so go longer, but for a first time cruiser, you don't know how you will do on a ship. Three nights gives you a taste, is cheaper and only takes 2 PTO days as it is an extending weekend. If you do end up hating the experience, which some do, you are not out as much. Especially compared to being miserable if you feel trapped.

We did 4 nights because while Orlando is easy-ish to get to, I need time to decompress from airplanes. Next year we have a couple nights at WDW, 4 nights on the wish and then one night at WL because there were no return flights home late enough for us to do same day. And I wasn't spending an entire day at the airport hotel.

Why what is wrong with the Wish?
Be careful about listening to everyone beat down on the Wish. We almost didn’t book it because I was so afraid we would hate it based on these boards. And we loved it. Somethings we liked better and somethings we didn’t like compared to other ships, but DH and I prefer it to the Dream. We met a woman standing in line who was on her 4 th Wish cruise (and yes she had sailed the other DCL ships) because she liked it better.

Moral of the story is everyone is different. What someone hates others may love. Just try different ones to see what YOU lIke better. For a first time cruise, a 4 night might be a great starter. Yes it’s shorter, but if you realize cruising is not for you then you aren’t stuck for a week.

Last edited:
Which ship? It depends on what YOUR family wants / needs to do with your vacation.

Do you want the basic Disney island (Castaway Cay) + Nassau itinerary (3 or 4 nights) - with possibly 2 stops at the island or

one at the island + one at the new beach development (starting next summer), 3-6/7 nights?

Those cruises are basically beach vacations (as are most Caribbean/Bahamian cruises on any cruise line).

Or looking for a cruise with port stops? Which one / what type of experiences are you looking for?

A Disney cruise has a core:

(1) Rotational Dining that allows all guests to experience the same menus and all three Main Dining Rooms with a little show during the meal

(2) Three high-quality, family friendly production shows in the evening, open to everyone, with times coordinated with set dinner times.

(3) Everyone should be able to see characters. Most will be able to greet them after standing in line (so similar to the park experience).

(4) Free movies over the pool from daytime until midnight (more PG13+ after dinner), kid friendly during the day. Current run movies in the movie theater (two small theaters in the Wish v a big theater on the other 4 ships).

Kids’ Clubs have very generous open hours. I have seen a variety of reports as to which is best. Kids will need to be totally self-sufficient in toileting - all the way through washing hands. And there’s a possibility younger kids will be in the same area as late elementary age (so a 3 yo mixed in with 10 yos, if I have read reports correctly). Nursery available for a fee (up to this point, all mentioned Items are included.)

Little kids must be toilet trained (no swim diaper) when using water features.

If you want two possible options for up charge, adult-only dining, skip the Magic and Wonder. They both offer the original, Italian restaurant, Palo. There is no guarantee of securing a reservation.

If you watch / see / hear about cruising - you will find Disney does not offer the big water features on their private island, a lot of activities around the pool deck, lots of food options, included or upcharge, nor near-continuous or late-night buffets.

Our first DCL cruise was in June on the Wish. We would not do the Wish again. We were in Concierge and while that was nice, we just didn't like the dining options outside of the lounge. 1923 is an awesome concept but the tables are so crammed together it feels like you're sitting on top of people. A number of people we talked to who had been on many ships said they liked the Wish the least.

The only time I've ever heard of someone actually ordering the Kaiburr Crystal is the disgraced (soon to be?) former owner of this company! 🤣
What are you talking about disgraced and former owner?
Edit : Nevermind just found it. Shocking.

Last edited:
What don’t you like about the Wish rooms compared to the other ships? They look so nice in videos!
I think @insureman is trying to say that on the Disney Wish the inside staterooms you don't get one of those porthole screens when characters come up every 30 mins and it's got like a camera of the view from outside like they have on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

I think @insureman is trying to say that on the Disney Wish the inside staterooms you don't get one of those porthole screens when characters come up every 30 mins and it's got like a camera of the view from outside like they have on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.
Actually my main complaints in the staterooms are lack of storage, the placement of the TV in front of the bed and the pullout beverage cooler. Never saw an inside stateroom.

The Wish's rooms are smaller than the other ships. On a personal preference basis, I prefer the wood trim of the Dream/Fantasy over the painted trim on the Wish. And I don't like the murals behind the bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter