• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which ride is tamer?

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad OR Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? Does one have less drops or at least less steep drops than the other? Is one slightly slower than the other?

I haven't been on a rollercoaster in years. I would like to talk myself into riding one of these two.

I think you want 7 dwarfs if you only want to try one. It's a smoother ride. I don't think either one has big drops. My son will not ride coasters at all - he has never done thunder or space mountain. He will ride 7 dwarfs. I'm not totally sure how we even get him to ride that, but he does it.

IMO, 7DMT... its obviously newer and a much smoother ride which gives the impression of being a lot tamer... I think its tamer any way and has fewer drops but to be honest, i don't remember counting...

My only comment to add is that the 7D lap bar tends to be a bit uncomfortable to those that are Pooh sized. That may not apply to you but just wanted to give you a heads up in case.

If you sit towards the front on either one, it will make it seem tamer since the coasters don't get going until the back clears the top of the hills.

I'm not a coaster fan but will go on both of these. I prefer BTMRR because it's longer, with three lift hills instead of two. If you really want to see you can watch videos of both if you search/ google it. They are all over youtube.

I think they are really similar. BTMR is definitely louder and rocks you back and forth which can make it feel more intense, but no big drops. 7DMT is smoother but I feel that the drops might be slightly bigger (but they are not very big. I hate big drops and love this ride). One tip is that 7DMT feels a lot faster in the back (I have done it twice in a row to compare) so ride towards the front if you are looking for the best combo of smooth and on the slow side. I also recommend it due to the mine scene in the middle with the animatronics. If you are only going to do one, I think that aspect puts it over the top.

By far 7DMT is less intense than BTMR. The ride is actually pretty smooth and my 3yr old son rode on it 3 or 4 times when we went last year. I keep hearing about drops, and I honesty dont' remember any "real" drops on 7DMT. There are a few dips or "kinda" drops but none in the senes of a real roller coaster. The part after the mid-way stop where you are in the tunnel, you are going up a hill, but there isn't a REAL drop after that, it's a slight dip.

Watch the youtube videos. This will give you some idea.

You will enjoy it. Don't sweet it. On our next trip in Oct, if our 2yr daughter is tall enough (she is about 36'' now) We will take her on the ride, along with SDD.

7DMT is definitely a much smoother ride which I equate to being more tame.

My mom who hates "thrill rides" went on BTMRR when I was little and she said it was terrible.
We got her to go on 7DMT a couple years ago (she was 69 at the time) and she handled that much better.
She swears she won't go on again but I bet if we all went again not just her and my dad she'd do it.

They are both pretty tame. Like PPs have said, 7DMT is definitely smoother. I love to ride in the back of BTMRR because the ride is much wilder, so make sure you don't do that, as it sounds like you wouldn't appreciate that at all! Also, I think they both seem a bit wilder (and to me, more fun) in the dark, so if you have to psych yourself up to ride, maybe the dark's not for you.

If you ride in the front believe it or not, you feel less. We rode in back last time, and it was so much more intense feeling for me. I am not a fan of roller coasters but will ride 7dwarf and rest track.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is quite tame. It also has a spectacular queue and ride theming, and a wonderful scene with the dwarfs in the mine. Don't think of it as a roller coaster — think of it as a dark ride on a coaster track.
This is a great description. OP, my DH doesn’t like coasters at all but he will ride 7DMT and he’ll ride BTMRR once, but won’t hop back in line with us. If you like 7DMT, give Big Thunder a try too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter