Which Restaurant to visit?

SteveInOmaha

Mouseketeer
In December, we're going to visit different resorts to look at Christmas decorations. We have the Quick Service dining plan and want to pick one place for dinner. Please rank these:
  • Capt. Cooks
  • Contempo Cafe
  • Gasparilla Island
  • Roaring Forks
Thanks!

Captain Cook's is one of the best QS on property IMO.
No idea about the others but we do enjoy the food from Geyser Point @ WL which I think is right up there with CC.

Captain Cooks has some DELICIOUS food, and you can get a Dole Whip from outside afterwards if you want... It's not like it was years ago when they had 24 hour Dole Whip inside Captain Cooks, but it's still a place where fat kid dreams come true!!!

1. Gasparilla Island - Love this. Very tasty salads and flatbreads. And so much more chill than a lot of other QS options. It's like it's civilized or something. And the bathrooms are clean.
  2. Contempo Cafe - Freakin' crazy, flying bat-winged monkeys. Screaming babies. Everyone is sweating and fist-fights break out over tables. The soda fountain area is a disaster. But the breakfast options are solid and the sandwiches are interesting, so it's pretty good. Just be ready for chaos.
  3. Capt. Cooks - Eh, I like it better than the food courts at a value... but the loss of self-serve Dole whips is a huge. Not an insane asylum like Contempo either.
  4. Roaring Forks - Dunno. Never been. I'll tell you after my next trip in November. I'm hopeful.

They’re honestly all good but if you’re just picking one I’d go with Captain Cooks for the selection and atmosphere, and the dole whips.

I just remembered something about Gasparilla @ GF that isn't related to your question but might be of help. The seats outside are a great place to see the fireworks at MK.

The food is pretty equal at all of them, IMHO. I would look at the menus and see what appeals to you most. If I had to pick one, I would do Gasparilla's just to sit outside and enjoy the view.

Recently stayed at the Polynesian pre cruise and we ate at Captain Cook's a couple of times. We liked it a lot.

We normally dine TS, but with numerous trips supplemented with QS I would rank them as:

Most ranked by personal preference on food, theme, seating and views
  • Gasparilla Island - gingerbread house
  • Capt Cooks - its an icon from the 1970's...its fun
  • Roaring Forks - lobby decorations
  • Contemp Cafe - easy walk to MK but others offer more for us

We normally dine TS, but with numerous trips supplemented with QS I would rank them as:

Most ranked by personal preference on food, theme, seating and views
  • Gasparilla Island - gingerbread house
  • Capt Cooks - its an icon from the 1970's...its fun
  • Roaring Forks - lobby decorations
  • Contemp Cafe - easy walk to MK but others offer more for us
Thanks! We were going to stop at the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house regardless of where we ended up eating. Prob. will eat at Capt. Cook's, then just stroll around the Grand Floridian. We've never been in any of the monorail hotels.

We love the food choices at Contempo (and for the record have never once found it to be chaotic). The trip there for the peanut butter pie alone is worth it.

My favorite is Capt. Cook's. Nachos, Thai meatballs, and Asian noodles are all superior to most other QS at the resorts.
Contempo Cafe is fine if staying at CR, but not a place I'd seek out for dinner.
I haven't eaten at the other two, but if the weather is nice I'd switch Roaring Forks to Geyser Point's QS. A drawback is that QS seating isn't in the bar area and you have to find an open table around the pool.

We used to enjoy Capt. Cooks... so much so that we made a special side trip during our vaca last week to grab a quick bite there. It was the only truly disappointing food experience of our entire WDW vacation. :(

Menu has changed, and all the wonderful sandwiches & sides we used to enjoy so much were gone. The menus currently online do not match the menu that we encountered at the Poly -- Idk if they were simply switching things up and trying some new menu options, or if the changes are long term. No pulled pork or Asian slaw anywhere in sight (we used to love those pork sandwiches and nachos!)... so we tried the Thai Coconut Meatballs and a new Seafood Flatbread. The sparse bits of seafood on the flatbread were not fresh, looked and smelled like they'd been sitting under a heat lamp for a while, and tasted awful. The meat balls were so-so, kinda flavorless and served over plain white rice (which was dry) without much if any sauce. So be aware -- this was always one of our fav QS on property, but CC is not what it once was.

We have stopped eating at any Counter Service places with 2 exceptions Santuli Canteen and Captain Cooks. I just love the food at Cook;s.

Thanks! We were going to stop at the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house regardless of where we ended up eating. Prob. will eat at Capt. Cook's, then just stroll around the Grand Floridian. We've never been in any of the monorail hotels.

We are planning to go to see the gingerbread house at GF then monorail over to Contemporary because they have a wonderful Christmas display too. Then dinner at Comtempo Cafe because they have awesome cupcakes!!!!

1. Contempo Cafe
2. Roaring Fork
3. Captain Cook's

Cannot comment on Gasparilla Island, as I have not eaten there.

You might also like the Geyser Point QS at WL.

Foodwise.....

• Gasparilla Island
  • Roaring Fork
  • Contempo Cafe
  • Capt. Cooks
Decoration-wise...

• Roaring Fork
  • Gasparilla Island
  • Capt. Cooks
  • Contempo Cafe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter