• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which resort would you NOT stay at again...

I don't know that there is a resort I wouldn't stay at again. That said, Riverside has been my least favorite.

I have never stayed at a value resort, so I can't comment on them. However, I did spend three nights at Art of Animation in a Lion King Suite. Never, ever again.

I have never stayed at a value resort, so I can't comment on them. However, I did spend three nights at Art of Animation in a Lion King Suite. Never, ever again.

They are usually priced way above what we would pay to stay at the value level, but curious as to why you didn’t like it? Bang for the buck? That’s my fear on those. Which is why we’ve never stayed there.

They are usually priced way above what we would pay to stay at the value level, but curious as to why you didn’t like it? Bang for the buck? That’s my fear on those. Which is why we’ve never stayed there.

It was a lot of things including the noise level and the "in your face" theming. On our first afternoon, we went to the pool. No towels. We asked and found out they were in the lobby. The girls then looked for the slide. No slide. Then hot tub. Nope. We went to the food court later for dinner and found few options. Most of the food was gone and not replenished. Once we found something to eat and paid for it, we had to hunt down a clean table. Nada. Every table had the remains of another families dinner and there was no one cleaning tables. We took the food outside and found a bench. The girls slept on the pull out bed and heard a lot of hall noise during the night. The adults shared the bedroom and heard a lot of resort noise during the night with people walking on the sidewalk just below our window. The next morning we waited for SIX busses to come and fill up before we got on a bus to Magic Kingdom. Granted, they came one right after the other, but I swear there were 1000 people in the MK bus line.

But most of all, I could not relax ever given the theming of the resort. I thought it was just me until my 14 year old voiced the same thing. She admitted she didn't like the hotel because it was just too much. We realized that our family needs a nice tranquil hotel to balance the chaos and business of the theme parks. Our favorite hotels are Beach Club, Board Walk and Bay Lake Tower. I was fortunate to buy into DVC before the prices became insane and I recognize that has colored our opinions of resorts.

It was a lot of things including the noise level and the "in your face" theming. On our first afternoon, we went to the pool. No towels. We asked and found out they were in the lobby. The girls then looked for the slide. No slide. Then hot tub. Nope. We went to the food court later for dinner and found few options. Most of the food was gone and not replenished. Once we found something to eat and paid for it, we had to hunt down a clean table. Nada. Every table had the remains of another families dinner and there was no one cleaning tables. We took the food outside and found a bench. The girls slept on the pull out bed and heard a lot of hall noise during the night. The adults shared the bedroom and heard a lot of resort noise during the night with people walking on the sidewalk just below our window. The next morning we waited for SIX busses to come and fill up before we got on a bus to Magic Kingdom. Granted, they came one right after the other, but I swear there were 1000 people in the MK bus line.

But most of all, I could not relax ever given the theming of the resort. I thought it was just me until my 14 year old voiced the same thing. She admitted she didn't like the hotel because it was just too much. We realized that our family needs a nice tranquil hotel to balance the chaos and business of the theme parks. Our favorite hotels are Beach Club, Board Walk and Bay Lake Tower. I was fortunate to buy into DVC before the prices became insane and I recognize that has colored our opinions of resorts.

Your description of your experience confirms why we've always opted to spend that level of money elsewhere. They are usually aroudn $300/night. To pay that much and still have the "value" experience as you describe is just not what we are after. For $300/night the overall experience should be much better. Which is why we usually opt to either spend a little more for Boardwalk/BC/YC, or go to the Swolphin or further off site.

Thanks for sharing!

At WDW, we'll only stay at YC or BC, and at Disney California, we'll only stay at the Grand Californian, if we stay on site.

Literally everything else is a combination of, less convenient, less nice, more expensive. Off site usually gets us what we need (without parking fees!): space (at least 1br), price (cheaper than a value), and close enough. It's not a big deal for us to drive 10-15 minutes back to a hotel instead of dealing with Disney transportation.

As a kid traveling with my folks, I remember staying at Contemporary, Poly, YC, POFQ (was just Port Orleans then), Riverside (back when it was Dixie Landings!) and CBR I have fond memories of all of them except CBR - even back in 1989 I found it too large, too crowded, underwhelming rooms and food court, etc. I have no idea if it's improved or not in the last 30 years since I haven't been back since!

In 1993 my family bought into DVC and since then we've stayed exclusively at DVC resorts, of which I've stayed at OKW (our home resort), SSR, BLT, AKV, BCV, BWV, and WL.
I'd stay at any of those again, although my last experience at SSR with their "new" pull-out sofas was so dreadful that I'd seriously reconsider staying there again unless I was traveling with no more than 1 other person so that neither of us would be subjected to the torture device that is that sofabed mattress. Horrible.

Last edited:
Love this thread!

For us, we would probably not stay at any of the moderates (except for the wilderness cabins - we want to try it at least once sometime).

For us the cost of a moderate is not worth the resort over a value. We tend to either go cheap (value) or expensive (deluxe, sometimes club level) and not much in between. We’d rather pay more for the deluxe hotels or save the money and stay value, instead of staying moderate and being unhappy with the price and the hotel. Moderates are so big and spread out.

Riverside. Worst bus experience ever. Consistently a nightmare every day, both going to parks and coming back to resort. Eventually started taking FQ bus due to multiple FQ buses coming to an empty FQ stop... with no busses coming to the mile long line for POR... Never again!

CBR Never Again. I didn’t like anything about it. And this was way before the current construction debacle

Coronado Springs. Oh god it was miserable as a resort experience. I travelled myself with one other adult, it was dead quiet at points but without warning there was a HUGE convention party outside of our room building. I found that to be rather irritating (Yes I know it is a convention hotel, but it was uncomfortable). The sheer size of the resort was off putting too...not a fantastic experience.

I didn't really like the YC either. But, we LOVE the Beach Club! It's a completely different resort! The only thing that is "the same" is the pool.

I must ask how is exactly a completely different resort? They are tied together by a hallway. Just curious as we stay there soon and when visiting always walk between the two. We love DCL so it has a theme we like with the dark woods. We have stayed at BC and loved it too but the lobby seems a bit crowded at times with people waiting for Cape May.

As for never again I would rather stay off site than stay at All Stars. Not a value snob (we stay all levels) just find it really bad. The color scheme, lobby, store etc. is depressing to me and the food court is like a high school cafeteria after a food fight. The beds are not great and super small with thin sheets for duvets.

Overall if you go in with the attitude it is just a place to sleep (like most who prefer values say) I am not sure why you would choose a value and not Embassy Suites where the beds are awesome and you get a free breakfast. Sure you have to drive but is that really a bad thing? imho no... If I lived at the parks that is what I would do. We however like the resort aspect, enjoy the theming, pools, and restaurants. We spend loads of time at our resort about 50/50. Then again I am a huge POR lover so what do i know. lol:rotfl:

I must ask how is exactly a completely different resort? They are tied together by a hallway. Just curious as we stay there soon and when visiting always walk between the two. We love DCL so it has a theme we like with the dark woods. We have stayed at BC and loved it too but the lobby seems a bit crowded at times with people waiting for Cape May.
l:rotfl:

They have two totally different themes, and for some reason, the BC has more friendly and engaging staff members. I prefer the BC lobby and Solarium over the YC lobby. The YC has the better bar/lounge, but that's it. When we stay at BC it feels like vacation. At YC, feels like we are at a work hotel (all the conventioners in the lobby add to that vibe). I also strongly prefer the decor in the BC rooms. I hate the new YC rooms.

They have two totally different themes, and for some reason, the BC has more friendly and engaging staff members. I prefer the BC lobby and Solarium over the YC lobby. The YC has the better bar/lounge, but that's it. When we stay at BC it feels like vacation. At YC, feels like we are at a work hotel (all the conventioners in the lobby add to that vibe). I also strongly prefer the decor in the BC rooms. I hate the new YC rooms.

Oh no! That is what my husband said. He noticed the Solarium aspect too and I told him I am sure we would be at the BC eating too so could hang out in there. I am struggling between YC and AKL right now for a last minute change. We leave next month. AKL seems so far away and the rooms are small but the animals seem to be a draw for the family. Let alone its hundreds less..Aghh decisions!

Hands down, Caribbean Beach Resort. I wouldn't mind trying WL one more time after our infestation of ghost ants last time, but the thought of them gives me the willies still, a decade later.
Won't stay at a value resort myself though DH and oldest DS are at AoA right now. Momma likes her nice digs. :) So if I'm there, I'm going to enjoy where my rump rests. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter