Which resort would you choose?

lulukate

Mouseketeer
We are planning a 4 day stay at WDW this summer and trying to decide on a resort. I am choosing between SSR or Poly. Which would you choose and why? Any room suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dee:)

Having stayed at both I would say Poly hands down. I'm assuming you are comparing studios At both since Poly only has studios and the bungalows. The studios at Poly are larger with the split bath that allows multiple people to be getting ready at once. The convenience of Poly vs SSR is incredible as well. Since the dvc longhouses are close to TTC on the way to/from the Magic Kingdom you can take the express or resort monorail, the ferry, or the Poly resort boat. You can also catch the monorail to Epcot. Obviously it is bus to DHS and AK but unless hey have changed the route there is only 1 other stop (GF) and Poly gets picked up first so you generally will get a seat (unless it is rope drop and you arrive after a lot of other Poly guests to the stop). SSR has 5 bus stops so you have a long ride in one direction or the other especially if there wind up being multiple ECVs loading/unloading on the way. Many of the people we encountered this past week were new ECV users or use them so infrequently that it takes them longer to be loaded on/off the bus because they don't really know how to "parallel" park it.

If price or room type do not matter, I would choose Poly. We have stayed at SSR a few times and not yet stayed at Poly but we did recently tour Poly. Poly has large studios and a great location with walking to the TTC. But Poly studios are way more points than SSR studios and probably close to an SSR 1BR. But SSR theme is nothing spectacular... looks like a condo neighborhood you might live in normally. And while it is nice to walk over to DS, it's nicer to walk over to the TTC for any bus or monorail.

Last edited:
The cost difference between Poly and SSR will be very significant. If I were paying cash for the reservation, I don't think I could see paying the Poly price versus SSR. It's not like you are comparing Deluxe and Budget resorts...both Poly and SSR are DVC resorts with similar amenities.

We own at both. We love them both. Poly is our favorite. From views to dinning to location of resort to proximity to TTC, it's what I would choose every single time. We just got back from a split stay at both and that's all we talked about.

Poly, hands down. Why? Dole whips, Tambu Lounge, Trader Sams, Oasis pool bar. Plus easy access to MK and Citrus Swirls. Did I mentions that they have a place right at the Poly that you can walk up to almost anytime and get a Dole whip.

Man, I want a Dole whip right now.

We are planning a 4 day stay at WDW this summer and trying to decide on a resort. I am choosing between SSR or Poly. Which would you choose and why? Any room suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dee:)
We don't have enough info to make good recommendations for your situation. Group size, budget and park plans would determine the best for me. If it's a studio either way and we planned to do mostly MK, then I'd say Poly. If the group is more than 3-4, I'd likely go with SSR and a 1 BR. The other component is car vs no car, I'd want a car for SSR for certain but prefer one for Poly as well for many situations. Besides parks, dining choices are also a consideration as getting from one resort to another can be an issue and that is easier from Poly without a car.

My 2 cents: I would choose SSR because IMO the additional points required to stay at the Poly not worth it. I don't see any added value other than being on the Monorail loop.

Never stayed at poly but have visited the resort. To me SSR is lacking anything really exciting -- it is a nice resort, but if i only had 4 days i would choose poly. It might cost more points, but i think the uniqueness of poly is worth it -- being able to see wishes right from the beach is something you can't get at SSR. Better restaurant choices, plus being on the monorail will be more convenient for such a short trip. If you are a DVC owner then it would be just a quick ride over to BLT to see wishes from the top of the world.

Poly is the most convenient of all for transportation, I feel. But "reasonable" option for a washer and dryer means that I wouldnt stay there more than 3 or 4 days max. I quite like SSR. We thought it was tranquil and now with Disney Springs redo, its kind of a good location. So if it were me, id make the choice based on how many in your party. If its 4 or less and since its only 4 days, I'd say poly FOR SURE. 5 or more, SSR NO QUESTION.

Thanks so much everyone - after all the replies and looking at the resorts on line we decided to book two studios at Poly! The deciding factor for my husband was the mention of Dole Whip on the propery - LOL!! SO excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter