Which resort to add on?

USCAnna

Mouseketeer
I was initially going to buy direct from Disney, but I lucked up and found a perfect resale I wanted. The offer was accepted and we have passed ROFR. Now I am just waiting to close. YAY!!!

For the money I saved, I can add on 25 points direct. I heard a rumor (?) that the add-on 25 pt option may be on the way out, so I’d like to just go ahead and get it. My home resort on the resale will be BWV. This location was a non-negotiable for DH.

The three resorts I am considering for direct purchase are AKV, GFV, or PVR.

Here are my pros and cons for each based on research and my experience as a regular Disney guest (but not word of mouth from a DVC expert, just me reading online):

The AKV would be great for location, especially if just doing a split stay at BWV and AKV. I can also get the most out of my points as far as usage, and it is the cheapest. The cons: I think it is fairly easy to book at AKV, even at the 7 month mark. I might be a waste to choose this resort if I can get into it at any time.

PVR: We Love Poly, and it is easy to utilize transportation here. It is the middle cost of the three.

GFV: I’ve heard it is extremely difficult to get rooms at the 7 month mark. My daughter is in love with this resort. It is the most expensive intially (not a ton when you are only buying 25 points) and I wouldn’t be able to get as much for 25 points as far as yearly stay add on. But I could also use at AKV if we didn’t want to stay at GFV.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or advice on what you would choose any why. . TIA!

25 direct points won't get you very far. VGF is not available direct. Try to keep the same UY to make your life easier.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks so much! That is great advice to keep the same use year. I wasn’t sure what was and wasn’t available. I was told BWV was not, but when I spoke to my DVC rep, they said it was. 25 points doesn’t go far, but I’m just hoping to use it for a night or two closer to a different park with my other points from resale.

I'm following because we are about to do the exact same thing.... we were looking at copper creek, poly , and maybe boardwalk....

I would check to see if your use year at your purchased resort is one that a lot of people have. For example, the February UY at BLT is something like 37% of all contracts. I believe you can find that information on DVCnews or other such sites. Once you know the position you are working with, either get yourself on a waitlist for your resale resort if your odds of getting an add-on are greater, or, if it is a more rare UY, then consider adding on elsewhere. There would then not be as many contracts for DVD to pull via ROFR, making it harder for them to fulfill a waitlist request.

Your life will be easier having all of your points at one resort in one UY. If you did have to add on at a different resort, I would choose Poly myself, but could also see the appeal of AKV due to its value and concierge rooms that can only be gotten at 11 months.

Of the 3, AKV is the least expensive in points (especially with the value rooms, for which you'll need 11 mo advantage), so I'd buy there to get the most mileage out of the 25 points. At Poly or VGF, 25-50 points won't get you too far.

Have in mind that the value and concierge rooms at AKV goes fast even before the 11 month window opens. One shouldn’t buy akv for the concierge rooms alone you have a big risk ending up disappointed.

AKV if your only buying 25. If you Bank and borrow in a value there it should be more doable.

Thought I might post this here instead of starting a new thread - I spoke with MS yesterday for my welcome call (we purchased SSR resale). I, too, want to add on in the future to get 7 month at another resort for a small trip (like two nights in a studio) and to get the full benefits of membership. So, the CM from MS advised me to buy an add on at SSR because the points would be "worthless" if I only did 25 elsewhere. I looked it up and BWV (my ideal add-on, but I know it is rare) could get a studio for 2 nights with that standard view. I also know - from these boards - that I could bankc and borrow to up the total each year... just wondering, is there more logic to the CM's advice? Is there something I am missing?

Just like you we recently purchased SSR resale. I didn't get a phone call? we are going to do the 25 add on, but frankly I thought it would be "better" to do it at another resort. I don't quite follow the CM's advice.... curious what others think....

Thought I might post this here instead of starting a new thread - I spoke with MS yesterday for my welcome call (we purchased SSR resale). I, too, want to add on in the future to get 7 month at another resort for a small trip (like two nights in a studio) and to get the full benefits of membership. So, the CM from MS advised me to buy an add on at SSR because the points would be "worthless" if I only did 25 elsewhere. I looked it up and BWV (my ideal add-on, but I know it is rare) could get a studio for 2 nights with that standard view. I also know - from these boards - that I could bankc and borrow to up the total each year... just wondering, is there more logic to the CM's advice? Is there something I am missing?

I guess there is logic if you are trying to book something during an extremely busy time were you pretty much have to book at 11 months then you would want them all in one resort since 25 at another isn't going to get you much. If you just want it for a day here or there, or bank and go every other year or bank and borrow and go every 3 years there you can easily do a Sun-fri at BWV studios during off peak times like in sept.

We have been waiting for 25 OKW April use year to become available and Im tempted to just buy AKV. I can use 25 points for a night before a cruise once a year or just bank them. We generally go to Disney in Sept so we are usually looking at off-peak times.

Id like to hold out till Jan and not have to put it on a credit card but I have this fear that very shortly DVC is going to change the minimum buy to 50.

Thought I might post this here instead of starting a new thread - I spoke with MS yesterday for my welcome call (we purchased SSR resale). I, too, want to add on in the future to get 7 month at another resort for a small trip (like two nights in a studio) and to get the full benefits of membership. So, the CM from MS advised me to buy an add on at SSR because the points would be "worthless" if I only did 25 elsewhere. I looked it up and BWV (my ideal add-on, but I know it is rare) could get a studio for 2 nights with that standard view. I also know - from these boards - that I could bank and borrow to up the total each year... just wondering, is there more logic to the CM's advice? Is there something I am missing?

I would not count on a standard studio at 7 months, but why would you be trying to book at 7 months anyway? I'm confused. Do you mean you want to add a couple days to a trip (split stay)?

I think the problem people make with the "25 add-on for benefits" at a different resort, is that they just add on exactly 25 without enough thought as to how they'll use them. I would want to have a real purpose in mind for those points.

I know not everyone travels the exact same time and way every single time, but at least have a plan. 60 points at BWV will get me 4-6 nights in a standard studio during my "typical" travel times. To be precise, I ran a bunch of dates thru the points calculator and all my potential trips called for 58, 60 or 61 points per studio. So, 50 (25+25) would be inconvenient for me. I would buy 30. I wouldn't want to borrow every time. I'd reserve borrowing for cushion...... the "uh oh the standard studio is gone and now I need 77 points instead".

Since you have SSR, if you are looking to split stay, you could potentially get BWV at 11 months and use your SSR points for SSR or elsewhere at 7 months....

Personally, I think a BWV resale and an SSR (or somewhere with a later end date) direct would be the ideal. That's the way I wanted to go, but never found the BWV resale I was looking for. The downside to BWV as your direct purchase is that you will run out of direct benefits before your SSR contract ends.

I would keep your 25 add-on at BWV or maybe AKV. The reason is the 25 points by themselves do not give you a whole lot of days to stay. Remember, if you use them at 11 months, then you can only book with those points--so VGF and PVR would be next to worthless. The point requirements for studios at VGF and Poly are around 20+ points per night, so even if you banked and borrowed, you're only looking at a maximum of 3 nights every third year. Not much fun in that.

I made this mistake myself last year. I bought 280 points resale at VGF and then added on 25 points at BCV -- but those 25 points aren't enough to do a whole lot. The only thing I can really do is go for 5 nights during F&W every 3rd year. I lucked out in that 5 nights is exactly 75 points -- but it wasn't even on my radar when I did the minimum add-on. So don't make the same mistake I did.

25 points by themselves can work at AKV and BWV if you're able to score the standard/value rooms.

Also -- getting a direct at VGF is going to take a long time. Poly you could do immediately once your resale closes. BWV should not be that difficult to get either. They seem to regularly have points there.

Between AKV and BWV I'd lean towards AKV. AKV expires 2057 BWV expires 2042. BWV has slightly lower Mait fees but with only 25 points thats negligible.

I was initially going to buy direct from Disney, but I lucked up and found a perfect resale I wanted. The offer was accepted and we have passed ROFR. Now I am just waiting to close. YAY!!!

For the money I saved, I can add on 25 points direct. I heard a rumor (?) that the add-on 25 pt option may be on the way out, so I’d like to just go ahead and get it. My home resort on the resale will be BWV. This location was a non-negotiable for DH.

The three resorts I am considering for direct purchase are AKV, GFV, or PVR.

Here are my pros and cons for each based on research and my experience as a regular Disney guest (but not word of mouth from a DVC expert, just me reading online):

The AKV would be great for location, especially if just doing a split stay at BWV and AKV. I can also get the most out of my points as far as usage, and it is the cheapest. The cons: I think it is fairly easy to book at AKV, even at the 7 month mark. I might be a waste to choose this resort if I can get into it at any time.

PVR: We Love Poly, and it is easy to utilize transportation here. It is the middle cost of the three.

GFV: I’ve heard it is extremely difficult to get rooms at the 7 month mark. My daughter is in love with this resort. It is the most expensive intially (not a ton when you are only buying 25 points) and I wouldn’t be able to get as much for 25 points as far as yearly stay add on. But I could also use at AKV if we didn’t want to stay at GFV.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or advice on what you would choose any why. . TIA!
I'm not sure how many BWV points you have, how you plan to use them or how close you cut it if there is a reallocation or need for a larger or different view but it makes a big difference as to the answer IMO. Here's how I'd analyze it. You need some cushion in some way or another. If you calculated your needs based on standard view at BWV, lower season and/or smaller units (esp studios) I believe one needs a good 10-20% cushion and possibly more. Say one bought exactly the points for a studio for 5 nights avoiding weekends in standard view for adventure season, that's 50 points per year and I'd likely go no lower than 75 points total in that situation to give you an example. If this principles says you need BWV, wait until you can get your UY and do the add on there.

If you don't need the extra points at BWV, I'd still likely add on there unless you have a specific plan for the points at the other location like an AKV value studio.

I would not count on a standard studio at 7 months, but why would you be trying to book at 7 months anyway? I'm confused. Do you mean you want to add a couple days to a trip (split stay)?

I think the problem people make with the "25 add-on for benefits" at a different resort, is that they just add on exactly 25 without enough thought as to how they'll use them. I would want to have a real purpose in mind for those points.

I know not everyone travels the exact same time and way every single time, but at least have a plan. 60 points at BWV will get me 4-6 nights in a standard studio during my "typical" travel times. To be precise, I ran a bunch of dates thru the points calculator and all my potential trips called for 58, 60 or 61 points per studio. So, 50 (25+25) would be inconvenient for me. I would buy 30. I wouldn't want to borrow every time. I'd reserve borrowing for cushion...... the "uh oh the standard studio is gone and now I need 77 points instead".

Since you have SSR, if you are looking to split stay, you could potentially get BWV at 11 months and use your SSR points for SSR or elsewhere at 7 months....

Personally, I think a BWV resale and an SSR (or somewhere with a later end date) direct would be the ideal. That's the way I wanted to go, but never found the BWV resale I was looking for. The downside to BWV as your direct purchase is that you will run out of direct benefits before your SSR contract ends.

I do have a plan. TBH we bought the SSR contract to primarily go as a family for 1 week every other year. I would like to have a small contract to do a weekend girl's trip with my mom and a friend or two - preferably during a festival like F&W. That was the idea behind 25 at BWV - two nights, September, without putting a dent in the points for my famliy trip and to be able to book at 11 months, since I have read September at BWV is hard to get.

I am thinking that 30 might be better (have a cushion, as you put it) - but that means saving a little longer and I am worried (because I have read too many posts on here :rolleyes1) that DVD will up the direct purchase threshold. But, I would rather pay cash than put it on credit - so I will save and see if they up it. ;)

Thanks for all the advice. My thought is that we will use those points for an add on split stay. We bought 100 points at BWV, but plan on going every 18 months or so. We also live a reasonable distance from Hilton Head, so we could points there if needed.

I do have a plan. TBH we bought the SSR contract to primarily go as a family for 1 week every other year. I would like to have a small contract to do a weekend girl's trip with my mom and a friend or two - preferably during a festival like F&W. That was the idea behind 25 at BWV - two nights, September, without putting a dent in the points for my famliy trip and to be able to book at 11 months, since I have read September at BWV is hard to get.

I am thinking that 30 might be better (have a cushion, as you put it) - but that means saving a little longer and I am worried (because I have read too many posts on here :rolleyes1) that DVD will up the direct purchase threshold. But, I would rather pay cash than put it on credit - so I will save and see if they up it. ;)

If you really only want 2 nights, I think you'll be fine with 25 points in September booking at 11 months. Especially if you're flexible with your dates (can go Thurs - Sat or Sat - Mon) and ok with skipping a year here or there if for some reason you can't get a standard studio 2 years in a row. But otherwise, you could probably get a standard one year and a P/G view the next and still be fine. I don't know if this helps or not, but if you already have a Disney Visa or you can / are willing to get one, you can put your direct purchase on there, earn rewards, and get 6 months @ 0%. My guide let me put the 10% deposit on one billing cycle and the balance on the next, so it stretched it out a little further, too. Basically, I won't have to have it fully paid off until nearly 8 months after my purchase. Maybe that could help you buy a little sooner. Good luck!

ETA: I typed all of the above assuming a studio every year. Obviously, if you're talking a 1bed it'd be every other year and you'd def. need 30 if trying to stay Fri-Sun.

Last edited:
I would do AKV and use those 25pts for the value rooms. Apparently the hardest rooms to get are AKV value/concierge, then blt std (who knew?). You can get 3-5 nights in a value studio every other year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter