Which resort is a never or never again for you?

Grand Floridian - Sugarloaf Outer Building - it was club level for the entire building and not enough food.
You were cheated if you never stayed in the Royal Palm Club (main building), which is entirely CL.

We both still miss how lavish its continental breakfast was.

People I've compared experiences with often said Sugar Loaf hadn't the wide variety of the RPC at any of the four "free food" times during the day.

VGC for us staying as DVC members. I expected to love it but while I liked it it didn’t have the magic of WDW for me. We had a not great stay. We were staying 9 nights but they refused to flow the DVC contract and give us our full clean on day 4 saying they didn’t follow DVC rules. They charged us for parking and we have to argue for months before they admitted they were wrong. And they closed the main guest laundry and directed all guests to the tiny one which is meant to be just for DVC meaning DVC members couldn’t use it

I'm just back from a split stay at Beach Club and POR. We've stayed at POR before and liked it. I expected to really like BC but it was just meh. The location is great but that's really all it has to offer for me. I didn't like the pool - sand = yuck, the food choices are poor and the coffee was undrinkable. Then we moved to POR and my sister said it was like coming home. She also loves the Poly. I think she likes a resort with a lot of greenery. The buses at POR work for us. At the Poly or BC, I resent having to share a bus with another resort. If I'm paying for a deluxe resort, then there should have a bus just for that resort. Also we had a problem with noisy neighbors, but it was at BC not POR.

I will never stay club level again, the entitlement from some of the guests were disgusting and it was basically a free for all when it came to the alcohol when it was put out, some guests grabbing as much as they can and hauling it back to their room. Happened at both GF and Boardwalk, no CM on sight either. Once a tray of food or beer/wine was gone that was it, never saw them replenish it after waiting a half hour before my dinner res. Just went down to the lounge before our dinners instead as it was much more laid back.

I'm also done with the Poly, way too expensive for a dice roll that can land you in a room a mile away from the main house. Trader Sam's and Tambu Lounge seemed to be always packed around dinner time. The main pool is nice but the bathrooms are atrocious, I've seem better conditions at rest stops off I-95.

Never Again:
(1) Swan. For me, it was like being in any hotel in any city anywhere in the US. I want to be at Disney when I'm at Disney. Fortunately, I was able to switch to AKL so spent only 2 nights of a 9-night trip at the Swan.

(2) ASMusic. I had hardly any sleep there because of the paper-thin walls--not helped by having a connecting door. it was as though the couple and their baby in the next room were in my room, since I could hear all their conversations and, uh, activities. Not to mention the constantly crying baby. After walking 10+ miles a day I need to sleep at night. So, never again. Which leads me to:

Never:
(1) Any All Stars. See ASMusic above.
(2) Dolphin. See Swan above.
(3) CBR. It just doesn't appeal to me in the least.

There are other resorts where I'll probably never stay but it's not impossible that I would, so I won't rule them out.

Thanks for starting this thread! It has been very informative. My family's experience is limited: We've stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Jambo House (AKL), Kidani Village (AKL), and Boulder Ridge (DVC connected with Wilderness Lodge), my daughter has stayed at Beach Club solo, and my nephew worked at bell services at Jambo and the Grand Floridian, while in the Disney college program.

I realize that this thread is supposed to be about places you would not return, but actually, we would return to any of these (except of course we have not actually stayed at the Grand Floridian, and I am disinclined to stay there).

We bought into DVC at Kidani (AKL) after staying in hotel rooms a few times. I agree that Jambo is more attractive than Kidani (naturally, it's the main hotel at AKL), the lobby is fantastic at Jambo, and impressive but not so fantastic at Kidani. However, Kidani has one major advantage of Jambo, which is that the two-bedroom suites have three full bathrooms, and we usually have two young women in the party. So we need the three bathrooms. It is true that the halls at Kidani are very long. On one trip in particular, we were close to the very end of the hall, and it felt like a 3-mile trek to get out there; but it was manageable. Other walks down the halls have not been quite as long. We drive to WDW, so on some occasions, we can park near an elevator, toward the ends of the halls away from the lobby. When we take the buses to the parks, there is a long walk back, though. Another feature we like at Kidani is the covered parking at ground level. The pool at Jambo is one of my favorite pools, but the pool at Kidani is pleasant. We have generally had wonderful views of the animals in both locations. If you like to get up early and come back late, this would not be an advantage for you, but for us it is. I also really like the music in both AKL resorts in late December and early January. The Christmas tree at Jambo is stunning; the one at Kidani is nice, but not as stunning. We have always found the cast members at both Kidani and Jambo to be very helpful (even before my nephew worked there, so that he knew some of them).

Our first resort was Wilderness Lodge. I still love it (and would stay there again if they had three bathrooms in a two-room suite--so it's a de facto never again for the most part, but not due to disliking it). My spouse and I are both in STEM fields. I would say that we felt most at home with the crowd staying at Wilderness Lodge, generally speaking. They gave the general impression of tech people who enjoy the national parks. If you like that vibe, that's probably a good indicator of whether you would like Wilderness Lodge. I don't like the pool there quite as much as the pool at Jambo, but it has been very pleasant any time that we have been there. We enjoy the boat ride to Magic Kingdom. We have stayed at Boulder Ridge (DVC) one time. In the bathroom, they have a faucet that is designed to look like a pump in one of the old-time national park settings. The water comes out from a flat spout that does not have a top. I took a picture of the faucet, because I found this detail absolutely charming. If it sounds appealing to you, I think you would like Wilderness Lodge. If you can't imagine caring at all about this, or if you think I sound nuts, a different resort is probably better for you. One really attractive feature of Wilderness Lodge in the past was that M. T. Wallet worked as a waitress at Whispering Canyon. She was an absolutely brilliant comedienne! If there were an M. T. Wallet fan club, I would join it! (Please let me know.) She used to wear a beanie cap with a multi-colored rotor, until Disney forced her to stop. This is another kind of detail that you can use to tell whether you would like Wilderness Lodge or not--even though it sounds different from my other indicators along that line. There is a "hot spring" in the lobby, and a geyser that goes off on the hour outside. Of all of the Disney resort gift shops I have been in, I think I like the one at Wilderness Lodge the best, because of the type of merchandise it carries. We were considering buying into Copper Creek.

The Contemporary does not appeal to me. I think I would get vertigo in the hallways that border the central "canyon." We have never stayed there, so it can't be a "never again" for us. Some good friends of our family like it, though, and they stay there whenever they go to WDW.

The Riviera seems nice, and it is newer, so there is some attraction to that, but not enough to warrant shifting. The restaurant, Topolino's, had some major scheduling problems when they first opened, but I think that has been resolved now. We like the gondola.

For our first trip, I tried to reserve a room at the Polynesian, but they were full except for a concierge suite, which was beyond our budget. We got a room in Wilderness Lodge. Given my spouse's tastes, I believe that we would not have returned as often as we have to WDW if we had managed to get a room at the Polynesian. Among other considerations, we are teetotal, so Trader Sam's is not much of an attraction to us.

It is very interesting to me that Disney offers environments within WDW that differ and appeal to different tastes. Walt was a wise marketeer, as his successors have been. (The spelling error is deliberate).

Oh, I'll add that we have stayed off property at a Hampton near WDW (usually one night, the first night we are arriving), and at the Hilton--I think it was in Bonnet Creek?--for a night or two when we could not get a WDW room where we wanted one. The Hilton was Disney affiliated and had some limited Mouse decor in the lobby. It was totally fine for the purpose, and I would stay there again, though not by preference when in Orlando.

VGC for us staying as DVC members. I expected to love it but while I liked it it didn’t have the magic of WDW for me. We had a not great stay. We were staying 9 nights but they refused to flow the DVC contract and give us our full clean on day 4 saying they didn’t follow DVC rules. They charged us for parking and we have to argue for months before they admitted they were wrong. And they closed the main guest laundry and directed all guests to the tiny one which is meant to be just for DVC meaning DVC members couldn’t use it

Wow, I've never had them charge me for self parking while staying at VGC on points. Surprising.

My spouse and I are both in STEM fields. I would say that we felt most at home with the crowd staying at Wilderness Lodge, generally speaking. They gave the general impression of tech people who enjoy the national parks. If you like that vibe, that's probably a good indicator of whether you would like Wilderness Lodge.
This is surprisingly accurate. Wilderness Lodge does a great job capturing the feel of Yellowstone but with modern amenities.

Wow, I've never had them charge me for self parking while staying at VGC on points. Surprising.
They had a huge attitude towards DVC kept saying we don't really follow DVC rules we do our own thing.

We sold our points there after this trip. Not just because of the issues also because our nest is getting emptier and I realised we were going to struggle to use them all. It was an easy choice to sell VGC.

POR---it's just too spread out for our liking. We've agreed that we probably won't stay at any other moderates because of that.

Coronado Springs Resort.
We sprung for preferred and were still a bit of walk to the food court and very far from the pool. Thankfully our bus stop was the first one picked up but that resort is too big and it's a never again for me.

I've gone to Disney a lot, especially when my kids were young. We mostly stayed at POP (definately cheaper years back, and suited out limited budget) We really enjoyed it, and stayed at Music once. When $$ got better, we did splits, POP for the parks, and WL to relax. It's been years, and 2023 will be our first trip back since( 2014/15??) We canceled in 2021 (so, so sad) . I would never say never to POP or WL! I love WL, and look forward to that again. We booked Poly, but changed it to WL CL for my hubby. I love this thread, it is so interesting!! Adding one quick thought.....the drinks at the Petal Bar at POP were so, so good....talk about bang for your buck...LOL

Contemporary. The view of the lake was AMAZING. I really loved the room(this was before the Incredibles retheme) but the problem is there are so many better themed hotels with nice rooms at WDW and the theming at contemporary is horrible.

My very first trip in 1998, w were staying at the Caribbean Beach. We took at red-eye from Portland, thinking that would be smart (it wasn't) and when we drug ourselves to our room, I was mortified at what I found. carpet pulled away from the walls, general filth, and grossness. Yes, that was long ago and refurbs have happened. BUT in May, a friend's friend was staying there and they left early because there were BED BUGS, yep. This was a recovery trip from a previous trip, staying at Caribbean Beach. It is and always will be a hard pass for me now. And Pop and All Stars aren't worth the savings either. I know millions of people stay in these rooms, but it shouldn't look like millions of people stayed in the rooms!

They had a huge attitude towards DVC kept saying we don't really follow DVC rules we do our own thing.

We sold our points there after this trip. Not just because of the issues also because our nest is getting emptier and I realised we were going to struggle to use them all. It was an easy choice to sell VGC.

Another wow. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences at VGC. In fact, the first time we stayed in a Grand Villa, a couple of the staff gushed about how cool that was.

POR and CBR are “never again” for us. POR cast members were not up to the usual Disney standards and several were downright cranky, the food court was crowded and only open tables next to overflowing trash cans, and it is the only time in decades that we had something taken from our room.

We’ve stayed at CBR a couple of times and know that people love it, but the dark and dingy rooms have done us in. We also were not fans of the food court, and banana cabana was a tough place to get served. The bus rides were very long, and the place is very large.

CBR is one we won't be back to until the rooms are refurbished. With my allergies I just can't stay there.

I will admit I have no interest in SSR. Reminds me of an apartment complex.
May I ask what irritated your allergies so much at CBR? I ask b/c I have many myself and we wanted to stay there sometime. Just trying to figure out if it's going to be a yes or no go. If you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly you may DM me.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter