Which Resort for the Holidays?

Motherfletcher

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=peach
I've been to all three but have never been any during Thanksgiving or Christmas Holidays. Do the resorts do anything special during Thanksgiving? Which one has the best Christmas atmosphere? Loews rates are not bad for these 2 holidays right now. Either FLO or APH. $109 RPR, $129 HRH, $149 PBH. Happy Holidays!

Both Portofino and RPR are beautifully decorated during the holidays...either would be great!

Webray,

Can you elaborate on the decorations? Trees, wreaths, lights, what???

Thanks!

Found this description from last year, Spidey!!

Universal Hotel Decorations

Royal Pacific Resort
A beautiful 25-foot Christmas tree in the hotel lobby, accented with delicate dragonflies and other handcrafted Balinese decorations. A fire twirler will heat up the lighting ceremony of the 50-foot outdoor Christmas tree, which will be decorated with multi-colored lights and colorful ornaments.
In the Wantilan area roast marshmallows over an open fire while listening to a storyteller narrate classic holiday tales.

A Christmas feast of traditional holiday cuisine and tropical fare will be served in Islands Dining Room. The festivities will also include live holiday music with a South Pacific twist, photos with Island Santa, cookie decorating sessions and more.

Hard Rock Hotel
As travelers approach the award-winning California mission style hotel, a magnificent live 50-foot Christmas tree, decorated in vibrant shades of purple and gold and musical note ornaments. Guests will be doing the "Jingle Bell Rock" as carolers serenade them with hip tunes around the 25-foot Christmas tree located in the lobby. Holiday treats will also be served.

Portofino Bay Hotel
The romantic harbor will be imbued with European elegance, as a glorious 50-foot live Christmas tree, decorated with delicate white lights and poinsettias, will illuminate the Harbor Piazza. You can meander along the picturesque harbor and stop to enjoy a holiday aperitif at outdoor tables or listen to readings of "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas" around the Christmas tree.

Thanks Jess!!! I love that. Now the problem is I want to stay at all three for the holidays. I can see an early christmas gift to myself coming along!!!! LOL.....:p

I really loved Portofino all decorated...so beautiful and the whole Grinh reading on the Piazza was magical. This year we'll check out the holidays at Hard Rock but must make it over for the reading! Cant wait to see RPR decorated too!

So Spidey, one night at each? LOL

Not a bad idea!!!!! :D :p

So the Grinch actually reads the story?

Santa reads the story! As it comes to an end the Grinch shows up and invited the kids onto the stage for a visit (great photo op) and a candy cane. All during the reading they offer hot cocoa, milk, juice and BIG baked cookies! When we did this it was amazing to see all the kids on this huge red carpet, not a peep so engrossed. I loved it, it was done very well.

Does the Grinch do PBH nightly? Starting when? When do the Holiday fireworks start? What hotel has the best fireworks view? HRH or RPR? Any special buffets?

I'm not sure when they start in the month but the Grinch does the readings nightly. We could watch them set up starting around 4 or so in the evenings. I thought i saw the grinch doing the reading last year but i could be wrong. We watched everynight from our balcony overlooking we could hear most everything after the reading he'd do photos with the kids and they served hot chocolate, and milk and coffee too i believe with a big assortment of those wonderful cookies in lots of flavors. We'd go down and kid the kids some cookies and watch for a while it was so nice and so christmasy. Is that a word?lOL We loved it they did wine tasting's in the lobby and the tree was so beautiful with music playing. You would love any of them i'm sure but PBH was magicial i would request a bay view in a heart beat during christmas time. We had a villa suite with two walk out balcony's over the 4th floor looking down.

Oh, this all sounds fabulous!!! Jessica will you take pictures of all the Christmas decorations?? Iwould love to be there during this time with the kids - if only we could get some free airfare!! What a great christmas present it would be for the kids! Spidey, will you make a trip down with your AP's?

Tigerlilly-

I am really starting to think about it. And when you say a trip down, do you mean a trip down the road???? LOL.....

We only live about 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes away. But when I go, I HAVE to stay on site so that is why I can't do it so often.:(

We really want to try Grinchmas and see the Macy's parade so we are contemplating a quick stay at RPR. I am looking into entertainment rates.

I love the holidays!:D

Yes, for us it is going "down" - for you it is a hop, skip and a jump!!!

I am jealous!

JessicaR--Thanks for your great info on the holiday decorations at each property. We have been there before in late December, but can't say any particular decorations stand out in my mind.

Any thoughts on appropriateness of Santa/Grinch reading at PBH for an 11 year old? What time does the reading start? I'm thinking about combining a trip over to Mama Dellas with this reading, though I know I will be hardpressed to drag my family out of the parks prior to closing which at this time seems to be 8PM.

Okay, and since I have been unable to get a countdown timer to work for me, as of October 19, 2003, our countdown is 63 days until our Holiday trip to UO! Woo hoo!

Imgonnabe40-

If this grown man is planning on attending the reading (with my son of course....:D ), than I would think your 11 year old would be just fine if they were up for it!!!! :D :p

This may be a silly question but I'll ask it anyway. Is Universal extremely crowded during the Thanksgiving holiday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter