Which Pass ???

mark@saratoga

Mouseketeer
Hi All :wave:

We are using our vacation points for the first time this year and are not sure which pass to buy.

There is no point buying an AP as we are only planning on visiting WDW every other year, so which pass should I purchase?

Should I go for the most expensive that never expire? or a cheaper pass that will last for the number of days that we are there?

Apparently if you go for two weeks the annual pass is better value with your $100 DVC discount off the price. Also the annual pass has loads of discounts. For example you can play mini golf with a 50% discount.

I am not sure where the breakeven point comes if you go for less than two weeks though. This was mentioned on the DVC boards a while back and I think it was 8 days.

Good luck

Susan

Hi,

As you mentioned you did want to buy an annual pass. Keith Prowse has got an offer on, 14 days for the price of 7. check out the website.

princess: princess: princess:

Hi Mark,

I don't have a definitive answer for you as we were wondering this ourselves. What we were considering doing was buying one annual pass for the discounts and the other family members getting a fixed number of days. We want the flexibility of dipping in and out of the parks so are likely to go for the fixed number of days from first use option - unless we determine the APs with DVC discount are cheaper.

I'd still consider an annual pass tbh, they pay for themselves at 8 days of use, and that's without the DVC discount. They're also great if you've been offiste for the day and want to pop into Epcot to see ROE, eat etc.

You could then also get a DDE card and save 20% on your restaurant bills, I personally don't think the AP discounts on their own were worth much at all if you have DVC discount.

The DDE is the Disney Dining Experience(sp?) card. It cost $50 for a twelve month period - the card is activated straight away, so it's only lasts for twelve months from when you order it (I think it actually expires 12 months from the month end of when you book it, so you almost get 13 months if you time it right). The card gives you a 20% discount on most sit-down resturants - you get a list of all the resturants when you get the card. We got one in January that will cover the trip we had in February (7 days) and the one in September/October (14 days). With two of us we 'saved' about $30 in February and so will more than cover the cost of the card in Sept/Oct. We only usually eat in a sit-down resturant every couple of days on average and there are only two of us - so if there are more than two of you or you eat in a sit-down resturant more often that we do, it will save you quite a bit of money.

You should also factor in the strong pound vs the dollar at the moment which I found made the annual pass cheaper the the 7 day Hopper. I'd calculate the sterling cost of an AP using about 1.75 dollars to the pound and then compare prices against tickets purchased in the UK. Worked for me ::MickeyMo

Thanks for all your help, I have now purchased 1 AP and will be looking to get the DDE card for the discount in the restaurants.

I will probably buy two 14 day passes for my DD and DW.

Mark :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter