Which Parks for first time WDW trip?

March is going to be drastically different imo.

Also, WDW plans are meant to be re-arranged 100x before you go. :)
Drastically different as in further lockdowns making locals not want to go? Or drastically different as in closer to normal? Things are looking bad again here in NY so its bringing out my pessimistic side that the current environment will be here to stay (or worse) for a while.

And you're absolutely right that plans are meant to be re-arranged - that's half the fun of a trip :)

I know Saturday is a 'busy' day but I would not put the resort day so early in the trip. You will be walking 5-10 miles every day and people just get tired.

We've been to Disney many times and my best advice is not to overdo it the first couple of days. We've had various injuries over the years when we have overdone it and it impacts the rest of the trip. Also, excitement will be high those first days and the kids will want to get to the parks. I don't think you will truly appreciate a relaxing resort day so early. If you schedule it after a few park days it will seem like a luxury and the kids will appreciate the pool and downtime.

I would schedule the departure day park to be the most easily accessible so you don't waste time with travel.

18 MK (Just to walk around and not do too much since you traveled this day; it's close by. Ride what's available.)
19 Epcot
20 MK
21 DHS (not a weekend day)
22 Resort day
23 AK (early park after your resort day)
24 Epcot (if you're not sure, book MK because it would be easier to switch to Epcot than the other way around)
25 MK or whatever you want

I would also add a day for the minimal cost involved unless you really don't want to go to a park the first night. I would also be changing things around over the weeks after thinking what my family plans on doing logistically (early pool days, special dinners, etc.)

I need to know what various injuries you got. :)

Just a general statement that if you're not in "park shape", I'd start walking a few miles a day to get ready. Also don't wear brand new shoes to the park unless you know for sure they won't give you blisters.

Also, from experience, if you're doing full days at the parks, three days in a row is a lot. Full days meaning rope dropping and leaving at park close. That is exhausting.

Take this for what it's worth, just my experience and lessons learned. When you've got kids and you're doing full days, make sure you take some nights off. My last trip in 2019 I did every night in the parks (8 nights) and it was too much. You need a mental break so you can sit back, relax, and reflect on the experience of the day/day before. It's like when you binge a TV show. The experience is great during the binge but as soon as you're done, you almost forget what happened in Episode 4.

In my 8 Night/9 Day trip, we had planned for 2 resort days with dinner at the parks. Ultimately we just went into the parks early evening/late afternoon and went back to the hotel after park close and it felt like a normal park day. We never had time to just sit and hang out.

Then again, I have three little kids so that might have something to do with it. My trip in March was cancelled, but I had planned to do parks every day but my "off days" or "pool days" I was doing breakfast at a park and coming back at lunch time for a relaxing afternoon/evening of enjoying the resort.

Drastically different as in further lockdowns making locals not want to go? Or drastically different as in closer to normal? Things are looking bad again here in NY so its bringing out my pessimistic side that the current environment will be here to stay (or worse) for a while.

And you're absolutely right that plans are meant to be re-arranged - that's half the fun of a trip :)

I love planning so yes, half the fun for sure!

Drastically different as in I think things will get better, especially with the vaccine news. Even if there aren't enough vaccines, people may start being more careful just so they can wait long enough for a vaccine without getting sick. People may start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm in NJ so I understand where you're coming from.

If I were planning my first trip to WDW, I would definitely say that Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are the ones to go to first, and the ones to spend the most time at. Epcot is wonderful as well. Hollywood Studios is the smallest with the least amount of things to do, but it is still a very fun experience! Animal Kingdom is my favorite, because there is SO much to see and do. It's also a wonderful repeat experience (before COVID, we'd go to Animal Kingdom almost every morning during our vacation before park-hopping to another park, just because we love watching all of the animals).

If I were planning my first trip to WDW, I would definitely say that Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are the ones to go to first, and the ones to spend the most time at. Epcot is wonderful as well. Hollywood Studios is the smallest with the least amount of things to do, but it is still a very fun experience! Animal Kingdom is my favorite, because there is SO much to see and do. It's also a wonderful repeat experience (before COVID, we'd go to Animal Kingdom almost every morning during our vacation before park-hopping to another park, just because we love watching all of the animals).

@rteetz isn't alone

Since you will be already deeply invested in a 7 day trip there, I would add another park day for a small upgrade in ticket price with the idea that it will MOSTLY be a resort day but one where you can hit one park for like two rides and then head back to the resort. OR, spend all day at the resort and head to the part at night for the nightlife and a few rides.

I need to know what various injuries you got. :)

Various family members over the years got knee, hip, or ankle strains that made walking harder. We average 10-20k steps a day and it takes a toll if you do too much the first couple of days.

Don't forget blisters and chafing! You have to make yourself slow down at Disney.

Re: Injuries....this was at Disneyland , but a man pushing a stroller ran into me pretty hard and tore my meniscus in January. Couldn't walk at all the next day. I will likely need surgery to repair it but have been giving it time this year to see if it will heal on its own. *edited to add that it was an accident, I was going one direction and he was going another and we collided. He was walking/running very fast so a lot of force hit me. It was quite painful. Sort of like Nancy Kerrigan moment in terms of my reaction but I wasn't able to use my ski pass the rest of the season which was cut short anyway due to COVID so I guess it wasn't a huge deal, but I can't work out the way I used to. Can't jump and land on my knees. Can't do walking lunges. etc. I'm not anti-stroller, by the way. We take one when we travel. Just anti-run-into-people with them.

Last edited:
Wow, really appreciate all of the advice! Yes, Im sure that we will be changing things around multiple times:) I think we're going to leave Saturday as a resort day. As it's the weekend and I would prefer to take a relaxing day then vs "wasting" a potentially less crowded weekday. Unfortunately, that's just the ways the days fell out for our availability.

Our flight gets in at 9:45pm on the 18th, so I doubt that we'll be able to make it to the parks. I did get a later flight leaving at 6:50pm on our last day so hoping to use that day to go back to HS.

Right now I have it as:

Friday March 19: MK
March 20: Resort day
March 21: AK
March 22: HS
March 23: Epcot
March 24: MK
March 25: HS

Although now that I look at this, I might switch the 23rd and 22nd as its my youngest's birthday and HS might be more exciting for him..

Hi all,
We were supposed to go on our first family trip to WDW in June but have now rescheduled for March 2021. I’m thinking four of the days will be for each park and then we would probably like to go back to MK and HS a second time.
Many thanks!
We'll for a first time trip I'd say that's a good plan! Like others have said definitely book some ADR's. Dining is a always a nice respite while in the parks...or at the resorts.

Wow, really appreciate all of the advice! Yes, Im sure that we will be changing things around multiple times:) I think we're going to leave Saturday as a resort day. As it's the weekend and I would prefer to take a relaxing day then vs "wasting" a potentially less crowded weekday. Unfortunately, that's just the ways the days fell out for our availability.

Our flight gets in at 9:45pm on the 18th, so I doubt that we'll be able to make it to the parks. I did get a later flight leaving at 6:50pm on our last day so hoping to use that day to go back to HS.

Right now I have it as:

Although now that I look at this, I might switch the 23rd and 22nd as its my youngest's birthday and HS might be more exciting for him..
Switching the 22nd and 23rd might be for the better anyhow. We did DHS on a Monday and on a Thursday about two weeks ago, and found Thursday to be noticeably less crowded/busy. Could have been a fluke thing, but it had me wondering if there were a lot of people leaving DHS for Monday in order to avoid it on the weekends, or perhaps new guests who had arrived over the weekend making DHS their first park.

Right now I have it as:

I wouldn't plan your vacation around crowd calendars. Especially going to AK which is typically a less crowded park in normal times. You won't be wasting any days.

5 full days of parks is going to leave you drained.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter