• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Park To Start First?

AngelaVa

Mouseketeer
We are going to Universal Studios next year!! Family of 3 Adults, 1 boy 9 yrs. old, staying at Aventura Hotel Kids Suite, 2 Park to Park 3 Days We are booked for Sept 5th-9th next year.

Questions is …. Which Park to star with Universal Studios or Island of Adventure…We will not be riding the “Big” Roller Coasters!!

Last edited:
I know this sounds crazy, but if you have the park hopper (or whatever they call it) it really doesn't matter. You will find Universal VERY unlike WDW in that both parks are right next to each other. If you do have the park hopper, it's like one big park.

I am all for starting at UOR first thing in the morning and heading straight to Diagon Alley. Since you wont be doing the ride I presume, it will be easy to look at everything and then take the Hogwarts express to Hogsmeade. After that going through both parks back and forth will be fairly easy by walking or taking the hogwarts express. But as the above poster said, its like one big park when you look at it and can be easily done in a day (which I have done because I also don't go on all the rides)

I like Broadway Hermione5's suggestion for day 1. If you are Harry Potter fans, hit Diagon Alley and Hogsmede on most of day 1. For day 2 I would start with UOR again, but go directly to Minions (near the front of the park) and then hit all the UOR attractions, outside of Diagon Alley, that you would be doing, including shows. After that take the train over to IoA and head out into IoA for any attractions you would enjoy. If you are going to do the wet rides here, leave your things in the Jurassic Park River Adventure lockers while you do the Bilge Rat Barges. Keep in mind you will get very wet and perhaps bring a change of clothes? On days we do the wet rides, we wear swimsuits under our clothes and/or rash guards and running shorts. Easy to change into dry things afterwards.

I think that really only applies to die hard Harry Potter fans. Then starting in London and taking the train to Hogsmead (like in the books) is something special.

Otherwise start wherever you have your first must do ride or if you are traveling at a very busy time and have early entry definitely start in that park.

Editing to add big coaster comparisons:

If you ride BTMR at Disney then you can ride Gringotts, think the speed and turns of BTMR about 1/4 of the track, everything else is a simulator story.

The Mummy is a lot like the intensity of Everest but some in the dark along with the story.

Hagrids is fast, has a backwards part, no going upside down, again if you can ride Everest you can def ride it, but it is a step up from BTMR in intensity.

Hulk, Velocicoaster, Rip Ride Rocket are Big Coasters.

Last edited:
I think that really only applies to die hard Harry Potter fans. Then starting in London and taking the train to Hogsmead (like in the books) is something special.

Otherwise start wherever you have your first must do ride or if you are traveling at a very busy time and have early entry definitely start in that park.

Editing to add big coaster comparisons:

If you ride BTMR at Disney then you can ride Gringotts, think the speed and turns of BTMR about 1/4 of the track, everything else is a simulator story.

The Mummy is a lot like the intensity of Everest but some in the dark along with the story.

Hagrids is fast, has a backwards part, no going upside down, again if you can ride Everest you can def ride it, but it is a step up from BTMR in intensity.

Hulk, Velocicoaster, Rip Ride Rocket are Big Coasters.
AJA Thank you so so much for the comparison of the rides this helps tremendously! I do not do Everest so it looks like the Mummy and Haggards is off the ride list. We do ride BTMR at Disney and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train . We do not ride Everest! Again thank you for the comparisons of the rides there's any other ones that you can help with I sure wouldn't be helpful and appreciate it.

You can't go wrong with either park and these are the best kinds of problems in life to have in my opinion =). I'm excited for your trip and hope you have an amazing time with whatever you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter