Which overseas Disney park for someone who has never been out of the USA?

lvdis

love disney
Hello! I'm from the Midwest and a complete newbie to travel out of the country. I'm starting to look at the possibility of traveling to Paris or Tokyo. My adult daughter really wants to travel out the the country and I only want to go if we can go where there is a Disney park (of course!). So, I need your help!

1. Which would you recommend; Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong? Am I missing any choices?
  2. Based on your top choice, what is the best time to travel?
  3. Suggestions on other non-Disney things to do in the area.

Since it will be an expensive trip I would like to figure out not only the best Disney park to visit, but which place has other interesting things to do in the area and which would location would be the easiest for someone with no travel experience outside the USA.

We've been to WDW numerous times and DLR/DCA 2 times.

Thanks!

Hi I am from the UK and none of the oversea parks really capture the essence of Disney. The Paris park is probably the best many Disney characters are from Europe so there is a better tie in. Also there is quite a lot of English spoken within the parks and also in Paris so it's easier to be more independent, but no excuse not to learn a few helpfull phrases in French.
There is public transport train that can whisk you direct from the parks into central Paris.
Outside the parks the food and wines are really good.Apart from Paris and the parks there is some beautiful scenery close by with wonderfully chateauxs,think Epcot the movie in France. Have fun.

I would recommend Tokyo I loved it people lovely well mannered. I dont recommend Disney Paris I was there in 2009 and had a nice time but people so rude. Tokyo has Disney Sea I didn't go as was built after my trip but hear its amazing .My kids didn't like all the pushing and no lines for character greets got pushed so much at Disney Paris. Disney Paris is pretty but people put us off they even shouted at cast members. Tokyo has a lot of charactors you don't normally see. We are planning a trip next year I love Tokyo lived there several years ago amazing city.

I would recommend Tokyo I loved it people lovely well mannered. I dont recommend Disney Paris I was there in 2009 and had a nice time but people so rude. Tokyo has Disney Sea I didn't go as was built after my trip but hear its amazing .My kids didn't like all the pushing and no lines for character greets got pushed so much at Disney Paris. Disney Paris is pretty but people put us off they even shouted at cast members. Tokyo has a lot of charactors you don't normally see. We are planning a trip next year I love Tokyo lived there several years ago amazing city.

:thumbsup2

Honestly, if travel is something that intimidates you, I would suggest doing a cruise. You could combine it with a trip to DL or WDW either before or after your cruise.

If you are feeling more comfortable with the idea of traveling, I think any of the overseas locations have plenty of other interesting sights nearby. Maybe read a little on TA to see which interests you the most?

I think that paris would be the destination with the least culture shock for you. If you are willing to be brave though then tokyo is pretty cool, and there is nothing like Disneysea anywhere else in the world. There are English signs everywhere and the people are friendly. Both places would have lots of sightseeing opportunities besides disneyland. I think it would come down to how adventurous you are.

:thumbsup2

Like so many things with recommendations, I think it depends. :)

I haven't been to the Hong Kong park, but from what I read and hear it's nice but small. Based on that if I were to pick a non-US Disney park to visit, it wouldn't be my first choice.

I've been to both Paris (1997) and Tokyo (last month!) parks. For me it'd come down to which is a bigger appeal: the Disney part, or the non-Disney part.

Paris is a truly magical city. The history, the architecture, the museums, OMG the food! I could happily visit every year. Walt Disney Studios Park wasn't around when I visited, but their Disneyland was a very good one. There were European touches all around, but it felt like a "Disneyland."

Tokyo is beautiful too. It's easy to get around, good museums, good food. Completely different alphabet of course, making it not as approachable as Paris. Lots of signs are in English though, so it's not necessarily difficult. But not as easy.

Its Disneyland also feels like a "Disneyland." Some different rides, but still "Disneyland." DisneySea however…is an awesome place. Beyond awesome. The rides, the theming, heck even the background music playing…it's my favorite of all the parks.

So if the "stuff to do besides Disney" were the overriding factor, then I'd lean towards Paris. But if "experiencing an out-of-the-US Disney park" is why you're traveling, then I'd pick Tokyo in a heartbeat.

FWIW, I only know a few phrases in French and a few in Japanese. I got around fine in both places. Good luck planning, and please write back with any questions you have. All of us here are happy to help!

I would suggest Tokyo Disney. Tokyo Disneyland is similar to Magic Kingdom. But many of their rides are more special, and much more fun. Tokyo Disney Sea is one truly special Disney park that you won't find anywhere else on this planet. We love Disney Sea for its uniqueness.

Tokyo on its own has lots to see: from the most modern to historic/ cultural stuff. Food is yummy.

I've never been to any other Disney parks but I can't wait to hear what you choose. We'd love to do something similar in the future!

The only resort I haven't been to is Paris.

Besides the original Disneyland, nothing else captures the magic as well as Tokyo....it really is above and beyond everything else in quality, upkeep, service, ride technology, etc.

I've been to all five and I'd say Tokyo Disneyland is by far the nicest. It's truly an amazing park, second only to the original, and DisneySea is absolutely the best second gate.

In terms of the cities - Hong Kong is by far the easiest to navigate and most affordable, plus English is spoken by the majority of the population. Great nights markets, great food, cheap taxis, easy to use subway and just a fun city to visit. But it's compact and can be done in just a few days.

Tokyo can be overwhelming if you've never been outside the States, and English is not widely spoken. It's an awesome city, but expensive, especially hotels and taxis.

Paris I simply am not a fan of - there are just so many better places to visit in Europe (e.g. Everywhere else on the continent). People are rude and while everybody speaks English, they'll make pretend they don't. Also expensive

So I might be a bit biased, I suggest Tokyo Disney. I lived in Japan for 4 years and loved it. The people are super kind and go out of their way to help. A lot of places will have people that at least speak passable English (or try :lmao:). There is so much to see in Tokyo beyond Disney as well. I never managed to make it there (lived on a different island) but Ive been told you could go for months and still not scratch the surface of what Tokyo has to offer.

All of the parks are wonderful of course, and special in their own way...

Hong Kong - wonderful city - very much like NYC but so affordable - extremely cheap public transportation. Disney is small, very small there - but no lines and no crowds (pretty much the whole year). Weather can be oppressively hot though (when we were there it was in the 90s and muggy). Great souvenirs and food average. Biggest pet peeve I had are the Disney visitors - they do not know how to queue - Disney workers kept telling people how to stand in lines, but it is not part of Chinese culture, so it is just unnatural for them to queue up for food or a ride. It got really frustrating at times.

Tokyo - my favorite city. By far the friendliest city in the mix here and probably in the world. Everyone is so helpful. Subway system there so easy to navigate - it looks intimidating, but is color and number coded and very easy to use, just ask for help from anyone if you have questions. You can take the subway/monorail right to Disney which is awesome. At Disney - the workers there are amazing - probably 3 workers for every one in the US parks. So friendly. English is secondary here, but all signs are in English as well as Japanese, and workers can always help you. Food fantastic and affordable if you dont splurge. Tokyo Disney Sea is the best park in the world hands down. So detailed and innovative.

Paris - beautiful city, and friendly (in its own way :). Can take the train or a bus right to Disney - about 20-30 minute ride. Convenient. The Disneyland park is probably the most beautiful, but the Studios park is terrible. Best castle in all of the Disneys in the world. Least amount of workers in any Disney park - probably 1/2 to 1/3 the number of workers in the US parks. Not the hyper friendliness of Tokyo. Food in the park - terrible, terrible, terrible. Did I mention terrible. The city of Paris though has the best food in the world - not sure why they didnt bring that into the parks?

All of them are wonderful - we just came back from Tokyo last week, so am probably a bit biased. Have not done Tokyo Disney twice, Paris Disney twice and Hong Kong once (2nd time will be in September this year).

Can we do Disney in one day ?would love to do Ocean Park have you been there.? Any tips please .

If the park isn't crowded, I think you could get a good flavor for ONE park in a single day. You wouldn't be able to experience everything, but you could still have a good time.

Tokyo Disney Sea is the one park out of the US that every Disney fans should see, if time and money permit. It is outrageous.

Hong Kong still has a lot of empty space waiting to be filled.

The differences in Paris are mostly a disadvantage.

You can see almost everything in TDS in one day, if you strategize and can skip Toy Story Mania, which is insanely popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter