Which one is milder? Rocking Roller Coaster or Expedition Everest

freshstart19

Mouseketeer
DH loves roller coasters. DD16 is very apprehensive. She's getting better and has ventured on some with friends at Great Adventure. My older daughter is not coming on this trip with us so I want to nicely persuade DD16 to go on one with DH. I will as well even though I won't be thrilled. I was surprised how much I did not enjoy Space Mtn last time I was on it. I used to love it. UGH. I created a plan for our early HS morning and have an hour of free time after just doing 2 things which in my mind makes it not worth going during the EMH. So, I'm trying to find something to fill the time.

EE is much milder, but the track is a little less smooth and it has a backward portion. Rocking Rollercoaster is MUCH more intense (my eyes water when it takes off!) and has corkscrews and upsidedown loops, but it's extremely short.

RNR is more intense, for sure. It has a taller height requirement and yes, it loops, goes very fast, etc. My daughter has ridden EE, but we haven't even tried RNR yet.

I love Space, and EE makes me queasy. RNR was a one and done. :)

RNR gives me a headache. EE is strong on the reverse portion, I have to hold my neck with my hands. I find as I get older, my brain bounces around more!

On either, I think you’ll find the smoothest and least intense right if you ride in the middle of the ride vehicle. I love RNR, but can’t stand it in the back.

To me, intense is any big drop. I can handle fast rides and actually kind of like dark rides, probably because I can't see what's to come. The very first time I rode on RNR, I screamed (literally) from the start to the end. It terrified me. However, once I realized there is no big drop, I relaxed and now I love that ride! However, I haven't been able to go on EE yet. That huge hill upward terrifies me and drops always do me in. I've read the bigger drop curves at the end so people say it's not as bad as it looks. One of these days.... I'm not sure how I'd do on the reverse part, but as long as it doesn't drop I'd probably be ok. So long story short, to me EE is more intense because it has drops but I know most people feel differently.

RRC has the launch and upside down portions, but even with that I find it to be a tamer coaster than EE. I really feel EE in my head during the backwards and dark portion, and I am a coaster person.

I would have said 100% RNRC is more intense but after reading other replies, I can understand that it's all relative. My 4 year old rode EE and loved it. The initial take off and the upside down factors in RNRC can turn some people off. For others, a big drop is what turns some people off, which EE has but RNRC doesn't. I like one poster's description of EE being kind of like BTMRR but a bit more intense.

Mixed answers so far. I’ll give you an answer from a middle aged roller coaster lover who is starting to lose my ability to handle some of them:

EE is worse for me by far. I’ve gotten to the point that I can’t handle high positive G forces without getting dizzy. I don’t mind loops or corkscrews or launch coasters (if you want to look up crazy, I just rode Top Thrill Dragster and Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point and had no issues). But that backwards track section on EE really pushes on you, and it messed me up the last time I rode it. I think I’m all done with EE.

I can see why many people say RnR because by definition of launch and loops, I guess it’s more intense. But to me RnR is smoother and more forgiving to my equilibrium.

Insetad of a firm opinion, I'll give you some facts: hopefully without too many spoilers.

RnRC starts with a very short, very intense blast off burst, but that blast only lasts a few seconds. The ENTIRE ride only lasts 82 seconds! it is important to FOLLOW directions to KEEP YOUR HEAD firmly planted against the headrest during that blast. I the darkness also = you can only see small portions of the ride at any time. If you want to know a little more about the specific loop styles, they are called a sea serpent and a corkscrew. As loops go, they are milder than some other loop styles. The whole coaster is fairly compact. Blast off = 0 to 57mph in 2.8 seconds.

Oh, and as with any coasters- both RNRC and EE have a kind of firm breaking at the very end of the ride that can be a bit jarring. You are at the end of the ride, going relatively slowly, then all of a sudden you feel a hard jerking.

EE on the other hand, as multiple parts that are a bit intense. It has a big lift hill plus a few other short stops that intensify the psychological impact of the intense portions of the ride. You know when you go up the lift hill...clickety clackety.. that whatever goes up must come down. EE is almost three minutes long (170 seconds). The track is 4,424 feet long. Interestingly, the top speed of EE is 50mph - so very close to the top speed of RNRC, but I think EE's high speed sections last longer than RNRC's.

Whereas RNRC only has the one blast off. In that case too, you are warned. Actually, while you are in line you get to hear+see a number of other folks being launched.

All that said, BOTH RNRC and EE are much smoother than Space Mtn.

Last edited:
It’s not even a question. RNRC is extremely more intense with the opening speed and twist. It’s the closest thing you’ll get to actual thrill ride rollar coaster in Disney.

Everest is not intense. The closest you’ll get to intense is when it goes backwards, but your not twisting or flipping. Other than that it’s just fun. Going up the hill isn’t scary because as soon as you reach the top, you realize you aren’t dropping at that point.

I hate coasters but I go on Everest. I won’t go on RNRC again. The launch alone can give you whip lash if not use to it. I was dizzy after being on it.

Oh, one more small clarification: it is called Rock 'n' Roller Coaster:

as in rock and roll with the band Aerosmith, not rocking. The ride doesn't rock side to side like 7D does.

On either, I think you’ll find the smoothest and least intense right if you ride in the middle of the ride vehicle. I love RNR, but can’t stand it in the back.

This. RnR is MUCH better toward the front in my experience.

What I think is important to keep in mind is that because of the upside down element of RNR, it rides like a more traditional coaster, with the over the shoulder harness. That alone makes it possible for that sometimes uncomfy head bouncing (again, more pronounced in the back of the car). Everest only has the lap bar and more of the runaway train feel. In my experience, RNR is more thrilling. Everest is probably the better pick for someone apprehensive, just keep in mind that there is the backwards element, and the darkness element. Both are coasters where you can't always anticipate what is going to happen next because you can't see it and that can be daunting for some!

I would say that RnR is more intense, but I CANNOT ride EE......like others, makes me SICK....I'm getting old enough that more than once on RnR would do me in, and I normally need some water and some fresh air afterwards, but MAN....I REFUSE to go on EE ever again :) If you are going for somebody that is just timid about deciding to go on one, I would say go for EE......

R'n'RC is definitely more intense. The "big drop" in EE seems pretty tame to me, and I'm a rollercoaster chicken. I've heard that the backwards motion, force bothers some, but I've always done okay. My head bounces around like a pinball between two bumpers on R'n'RC, even while keeping my head back. I get off of it feeling slightly concussed.

They are very similar if you ask me, but the intensity comes in different ways . Rockin roller coaster has the big initial launch and a few loops but is really smooth. Expedition Everest has some high G forces around corners that will really pull on you. I will say this, my wife and father-in-law can both easily do rockin roller coaster but my father-in-law got tunnel vision on expedition Everest and Expedition Everest makes my wife feel sick

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter