• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which of 4 parks to "skip".........

ColetteN

<font color=teal>If you find my link to the cool s
the background: My DH & I are taking our 4 yr DD & 6 yr nephew to WDW on 8/2-8/7. We'll have 4 full days to devote to visiting the parks. We will arrive by 1pm on the first day, so we potentially have that afternoon/evening also. My DH and I plan to return (numerous times) with our DD & our DS (whos' only 1 & staying with grandparents for this visit). Our BIL & SIL have pretty much told us this is probably the only childhood trip our nephew will make to WDW.

the question: If you would choose to not visit one of the 4 major parks, which one would you bypass? We want to give our nephew the most "magical" age appropriate visit, but not run him & my DD ragged. ;) I was considering not visiting one of the parks :eek: (AK is the one that comes first to mind) at all to make sure I can build in rest time and spend time in the park(s) the children enjoy most. Has anyone's children (close in age) not liked a particular park?

Any input/advice is welcome here.

Sorry this is so long....
Colette (I'm going nuts here waiting for our trip:Pinkbounc)

My children are younger, but last Nov. we went with my sister's family. Her sons were 6 and 4. We both agreed that if the kids had to miss one park it would have been Epcot. We love Epcot, but we just thought that the kids enjoyed the other parks more. AK was one of the favorite parts of our whole trip. The safari and the Lion King show were awesome! My DD's enjoyed Epcot, but would not have minded if we passed. The one thing I would recommend is that check the times the parks close. When we were there, Epcot was open later than the other parks. We took the kids to walk through the countries and see Illuminations on and evening when everything else was closed.

I know that everyone loves Epcot's World Showcase, and the food is awesome, but I would probably skip that if you have to choose one (or actually part of one :rolleyes: ). For kids there just isn't that much to do in the World Showcase. They have the kidcot stations now, but I don't think that alone is enough. Our eldest thought it was mucho mega boring. The highlight was getting to buy something that glowed right before Illuminations. Yup... That was it. Glowy thing purchase. I asked a few minutes ago, and this is how big an impression World Showcase made on her.... she remembered every other park (except for AK which she hasn't been to but wants to) and she looked at me like HUH and said she didn't remember WS.

On the other hand, she really really liked Future World when we were there when she was 5. Her second favorite ride in ALL of WDW was the Spaceship Earth ride. She thought it was really cool. Not sure why. She is talking about it now 5 years later and can't wait to go again (hope she isn't disappointed). There is also the Imagination pavillion that we could have spent FOREVER in, and the ride there. Not to mention the dancing fountains and the get wet area. The Food Rocks and Cranium Command are also fun. She really liked those when she was 5.

Does your nephew like animals and zoos? Our kids love the animals, so AK is a must for us this trip. If he really likes animals, then I would say do AK. Sometimes it is the simpler things that make a kids face light up with joy.

I would really try to do all parks, but I wouldn't necessarily spend an entire day at them. Are they tall? Can your kids go on all of the rides? There may be some height restrictions that could impact your choices at some of the parks. So that adds to not having to spend the entire day there. You also haven't mentioned water parks. Our kids LOVE these things (one is 10, the other just turned 3). The little one would spend her life there if we let her.

If it was me I would do this:

Epcot FW the day you arrive (try to make the Ice Cream Social if possible - I haven't been but heard nothing but great things about it. That is our first stop on our first day).

DAY 1: Morning at MGM, break, evening at MK (or vice versa)

Day 2: Morning at AK followed by a break and then an afternoon / early evening at a water park (They close around 7:30, so it makes for an early evening halfway through the trip.)

Day 3: Morning at MK, break, Evening at MGM (or vice versa depending on 1)

Leaving Day 4 Morning to do whatever is the "favorite" then break then day 4 evening back to MK. (I like to end the last evening at MK).

Just My Opinions though. You know the kids much better!!!

I vote AK. In fact, we skipped it on our last trip. (We only go for a couple of days at a time...that trip was 3 days.)

Most of the animals are the same ones you would see in a zoo at home. The rides are fun, but the other parks' rides are much better. The shows are good, too, but certainly more missable than the other parks.

That said, you should be able to fit a morning at AK in on a four day trip. Just hit the highlights (the Lion King show, Kali River Rapids if your DD is tall enough, the safari ride, the Tarzan show if you can handle LOUD music.)

Disnee Dad Says.............................Don't skip any park. You can do AK and EPCOT in one day, if you skip most of World Showcase, I think 6 yo will like futureworld.

I agree with disneefamily. AK doesn't take that long to tour. If you need to, you can do AK and EPCOT in one day. Skip the World Showcase at EPCOT but do not miss IllumiNations.

I would also vote for going to Epcot that first day - it stays open late, and the fireworks are brilliant. You could see as much of Epcot as you want to if you get there around 1pm - or even later.

In fact, we often arrive at Epcot after lunch, as we like to stay for the fireworks.

I would agree that Epcot is not the most fun park in a traditional way, but my dd really enjoyed parts of it. She's 4 1/2

She loved playing in the fountain - be sure to take a change of clothes so the kids can get soaked - she had a brilliant time.

Journey into your imagination is excellent - the new version of the ride is really fun.

Mexico - there is a little ride in here that is a bit like It's a Small World - for some reason my dd just loved this, and we went on about 3 times.

Spaceship Earth is also a must do - we go on this 3 or 4 times every trip.

I would suggest start with Magic Kingdom, because this is where everyone is desperate to get too on the first day, and then 1/2 day for Epcot, and 1/2 for AK. (AK in the am, and Epcot until late) and you've still got 3 days for more MK, MGM and the pool and water parks.

bev

Bev

IMHO.... if I were to skip a park it would be AK. We have been twice and it is our least fav. park for a variety of reasons. But having said that, I would not bash AK. It is a unique park with a lot to offer and I think worth atleast a half day visit.

On our first trip our kids were 6 and 3 and got very little out of Epcot. On our recent trip they were 9 and 6 and enjoyed hitting Epcot in small doses. We all agreed that next trip (2004) we will spend more time in WS and skip our half day at AK.

When my DS was 6 his favorite ride was Journey into Imagination. He LOVED Figment. He wanted to visit him everyday of the trip. Back then Dreamfinder came out a couple of times a day with a large figment puppet on his arm. We have not seen the new version of the ride. At 14, he was disappointed the new ride wasn't open.

We also saw more characters as we walked around the world Showcase than in the other parks. I wouldn't skip any park I would just do the attractions that they would like.

I agree with many of the above posters, you don't need to skip ANY park if you'll have 4 full days.

Animal Kingdom and Epcot can easily be combined in one day if necessary. Just hit the highlights and you'll be all set. :)

You might also find that you don't require a whole day at MGM. We discovered that when our kids were younger there wasn't as much to keep their interest there.

Since you'll be going in August, you'll definitely want to plan some downtime in the afternoons when it will be terribly hot and crowded. If you plan to swim/rest midday you can plan on 2 half days at 2 parks each day. For example in 4 days you could do 3 half days at the Magic Kingdom, 2 half days at MGM Studios, 2 half days at Epcot and 1 half day at the Animal Kingdom. See, you have plenty of time to fit everything in. :)

Have fun!

If we had to skip a park, it would be AK. But having said that, we have gone there every trip (2 visits since it opened) for at least 1/2 a day but if we had to skip AK would get our vote. My boys are teens and they are not that interested in AK except for a few rides, Kali River Rapids and Dinosaur. My husband and I LOVED the show, Festival of the Lion King, a must see IMHO at AK ! It really depends on your families likes and dislikes. Have a great time, we will be at WDW a few weeks after you!

RobinLyn;)

My last trip was with a 2 1/2 yr old DD and 9 yr old nephew. The 9yr olds least favorite part was World Showcase, the 2yr old's least favorite I think was MGM, she just is not into sitting through the shows. We did AK in about half a day or so, just hitting the rides as neither one really wanted to see the shows. We did MGM in about 1/2 to 3/4 day, because we watched the parade there. MK was the favorite for both of them.

I would do all four parks.
I would also follow the advice of the Unofficial Guide and do the parks in this order- Epcot, AK, MGM, MK. Most educational to most "fun".

Here are my suggestions:
Friday-
Arrive and do a character dinner at Chef Mickey or 1900 Park Fare (since these are in resorts, you don't need admission). These would also be good for a breakfast on your departure day, if you can't do it this day.

Saturday- Epcot-
Do Future World, have lunch, take a swim/rest break and come back for dinner and the TOD parade and Illuminations.

Sunday- AK- just stay until you are ready to go for the day- it gets hot! Relax at your resort this evening!

Monday- MGM, break, come back for fantasmic (maybe book the dinner package)

Tuesday-
MK, break, come back for Spectro and FW. We had an early dinner once at LTT and then watched Spectro from Frontierland . We had a great time!

Wed-
Do a resort character breakfast and leave for home.

It sounds like a lot, but I'm talking about taking a LOOOOOONG break each day to swim/nap or rest (they will probably sleep after being so hot and going in the pool). It usually storms every afternnon between 2-4, so being in the parks at that time isn't a good idea.

Make a list of your "must do's" and make a tour plan for each park.

Make some PS's for a relaxing dinners when you return to the parks. We found Le Cellier in Canada to be very child friendly with typical kid food. The Brown Derby in MGM was also a wonderful experience with my 4yo.

Get to the parks 40 minutes early. Bring their breakfast and juice and let them eat while waiting.

Bring water and squeeze breeze. Rent a double stroller for them at each park (when you return in the evening show your receipt. You don't have to pay again). Bring a bright colored bandana to tie on the stroller.

let them get wet in every fountain/ride! I did this and it felt like having built in A/C all day! My back and hair were wet all day!

I think this will be a good overview of WDW. They won't do everything the first trip, but they will have a great time at what they can do.
I had to pick myself up off the floor when I first read your post! Only childhood trip to WDW!!! I'm still stunned!

Another vote for Epcot. The park is huge and little kids start to drag about halfway around the lagoon, and many of the attractions are dull for that age group. BUT, if your kids are into meeting characters, Epcot is one of the best places for that - a large variety of characters and usually not a long wait to see them.

Several people have suggested skipping AK, but my kids of similar age adore AK. It may even be their favorite park, or at least second to MK.

MGM is a little thin on rides for kids, and you should judge whether they will like sit-down shows or not. (Some kids just don't get into watching instead of doing.)

Actually, if I were planning 3 days in the parks with my little ones, I would do MK,AK, and MK again. I have found it takes us more than a day to do everything in MK with the kids. Ours can easily blow an hour on Tom Sawyer island, waiting for and watching parades is time-consuming, and they often want to ride their favorite things more than once. One way little kids differ drastically from adults is that they don't necessarily crave variety.

One final thing - if you are staying offsite you might also consider SeaWorld for one day instead. Little kids usually love this park. If you are onsite without a car it's probably not worth the hassle though.

I wouldn't skip a park either. I would use the first 3 1/2 days to hit the four parks leaving the 4th full day (5th day of your pass) open to decide upon after you get there. Then you'll know where you need more time. This is in no particular order, but I'd do AK then hop to Epcot and devote a day each to MK and MGM. The first day (the half day) I'd probably go right to the MK because it's every child's vision of WDW. My kids expect to go there first and have no problem going to the other parks after they get that initial MK fix. That leaves the last day for wherever your nephew wants more time. The park I'd skim is Epcot, and I'd carefully select what I was going to see. With a 4 yr. old in mind I'd pick 2 or 3 things in FW and the boat rides at Mexico and Norway in WS. Since WS gets more congested the closer it is to Illuminations, I'd do the rides in WS then go to FW. I don't think I'd even walk all the way around the lagoon. You can cover some serious ground in FW in the evening, so you may be able to see everything that's important to you with no problem.

Are you confused yet with all the differing opinions?

I would say don't skip anything. Epcot and AK can be split up in one day and you will have plenty of time to see everything. BUT, if I had to skip one it would be Epcot. My DD is 7 and she only likes one ride there. It is very big, there is lots of walking and although I really love it, it is just not "kid" themed IMO.

:) Thanks so much for the wonderful responses! :) Please keep them coming.

I know, I was a bit surprised too when my BIL said it would most likely be my nephew's only childhood trip to WDW. Some people just don't get it, huh???!!!;)

Well, my initial plan included at least a day in each park (except MGM was only 1/2 day in evening & naturally MK had almost 2 full days) plus a visit to Downtown Disney - for some reason my DH wants to eat at the Rainforest Cafe. I included afternoon breaks - figuring the kids would love the hotel pool the most :rolleyes: !!! I started to get concerned thinking that the kids wouldn't get enough out of each park if we don't spend enough time there.

Here was my tenative plan

Fri MK afternoon for parade/rides, dinner at 1900 PF & back to MK for fireworks/rides.
Sat EPCOT am, break at pool, MGM eveining (possibly fantasmic
Sun MK am (my Cindy's breakfast!!!:Pinkbounc ), pool/nap break, Downtown Disney (eat at RFC) pm
Mon (my anniversary!!!) AK am, pool break, dinner at O'hana & possibly campfire/singalong/movie at Ft. Wilderness
Tue MK am, pool break, EPCOT pm
Wed Chef Mickey's breakfast, leave for 1pm flight. (I really dread this day, since vacation will be over!)

So, I guess I know I can fit it all in. :p I was just hoping for a better experience for my nephew if we bypassed a park that he wouldn't enjoy, but I agree with every poster - I kind of hate to even consider missing a park.

Please keep your ideas coming - it really helps refine my plan!!!

Thanks so much!
Colette:Pinkbounc

You can eat at the Rainforest Cafe right at AK if that is the only reason you are going to DD. It is right at the entrance.

ColetteN,
I think your plan sounds great as it is :D ! You will get to see each park's nightime show and spend a lot of time at MK which will probably be the kids' favorite. Fantasmic is really great so try to see it. We went to 1900 Park Fare for our first night dinner too and thought it was excellent. I hope you have a wonderful time :) !

We are going with our 6 yr old grandson in 25 days ! We have decided to skip Animal Kingdom mainly because of the HEAT !! This park is known to be 10 degrees hotter than the other parks.So instead of going there , we have PS for BKF w/ princesses at Norway. Afterwards, we will do most everything in Future World then skip World Showcase and go back to the Wilderness Lodge to rest and swim. Have a GREAT time. And I hope this isn't your nephews only trip to see MICKEY !!:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter