Which nighttime show to miss?

nb75685

Earning My Ears
H'OKAY SO.

We've got three days in the parks, park hoppers, and we're all adults. Which park should we sacrifice at night? We've been told we absolutely must see the nighttime shows at Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, which leaves either Epcot or Animal Kingdom on the chopping block. I'm leaning toward seeing the show in Epcot and just missing nighttime at Animal Kingdom, but the pictures etc do look so pretty. Thoughts?

PS: If it matters, we'll be there during the Christmas season. TIA!

There will be a new show at Epcot then, so it's hard to say. If it was still Illuminations (and the Holiday Illuminations at that) I would not miss it.

Well, it's hard to say. AK's show, Rivers of Light just changed to a new version, and I haven't heard if it's any good. A lot of people didn't like the old one, but I did. Also, Epcot's nighttime show, Illuminations: Reflections of Earth is ending this summer and will be replaced by Epcot Forever at that time. These are unknown quantities. Also, HS has two shows, Fantasmic! and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular and it is usually difficult to see both in the same night, so you will have to pick one to prioritize.

I recommend Happily Ever After at MK for sure, and also Fantasmic!. The others you may want to wait until we see more about them, though I would lean toward Epcot getting the better of the two.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Tough call considering Illuminations at Epcot ends in September and there will be a placeholder show until the new show debuts in 2020. I would lean towards Epcot considering the show you will watch is on a limited run whereas it is highly likely on your next visit RoL will still be at AK mostly as is considering it is a new show in Disney terms.

I'm personally not a big fan of Illuminations at Epcot, but since it is ending, it might be a good idea to check it out while you still have the opportunity. Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom is decent, though I've only seen the older show, I don't know what it's like since they've reworked it. I would probably choose Rivers of Light to miss if I had to choose one between Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

EDIT: I didn't realize the trip was for December, so there will indeed be a new one at Epcot. However, I still would probably choose that over Rivers of Light, as the Epcot show will be temporary.

I would pick the park, not the show. Although I am not a fan of Rivers of Light, I think Animal Kingdom at night is quite nice. In December it will be dark quite early so I might take in Animal Kingdom until 7:00/7:30 then head over to DHS for the nighttime shows. At DHS I personally find Jingle Bell Jingle Bam much better than Fantasmic and I really like what they do with the snow and projections on ToT.

The other two nights would be MK and Epcot for us. Get a dining reservation to coincide with Epcot's fireworks.

For me I would not want to miss the lighting of the Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom. ROL was just ok, but the tree lighting was fabulous!!!

EPCOT will have a new show, so nobody knows what that will look like.
AK just updated RoL. Video appears better, but still not equal with the other shows. However, the lighting of the Tree of Light is really good.
AK may get my nod only because I really enjoy walking around Pandora at night. And EE is really fun to ride at night.

It truly depends on what you like. I have not seen the new Rivers of light but AK at night for adults is pretty cool by itself. Grab a snack/ beverage and watch a short show followed by Tree of Life Awakenings...sounds very nice.

New “Epcot Forever” temporary show...I have no clue. The venue (WorldShowcase) and the existing sound and effects lead me to believe it will also be very nice for a group of adults.

How much are the members of your group “Disneyfied”? If they are fans of characters and the original Disney TV programming and original animated films, they may really enjoy Fantasmic at DHS. Remember it is a larger time commitment and you may spend some time waiting in an amphitheater with restless fans and eager vendors. You can get a beverage from your seat last time I saw it.

Disney animated movie fans from all eras will enjoy the Castle Show and Fireworks in the Magic Kingdom. There is no “optimal” place to see both. sitting is unlikely if not impossible. Best to do a Dessert Party if you can swing it. This is the one we will be missing in October in favor of a Halloween Party. We will try to see it from one of the nearby locations that pipes in the music such as Poly Beach.

I liked Rivers of Light but I knew what my expectations were going into it. Its a peaceful, touch on most of your senses type of artistry. Its not a bang bang flash show like the others. IMO it goes with the feel of the park, its not suppose to wow you. I appreciate the contrast but its not for everyone. Like others have said, AK is amazing at night (if not the most amazing of all 4 parks at night). I wouldn't want to skip that.

Illuminations is ok, but skippable for me, and Fantasmic! is a one-off for me, but I do like the Star Wars nighttime show (though I wish it had more fireworks).

Fantasmic is ok. I really enjoyed the fireworks at HS though. We actually went twice. Watched once from the front and a second time from muppet courtyard. (Can’t see laser show from there but it was empty).
AK RoL. Nope. I left just as it started.
I love illuminations and Epcot. Must do.

The must see in my opinion are MK Happily Ever After and HS Galactic Spectacular. Seen Fantasmic 3 different times and was not that thrilled with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter