• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which is worse: crowds level 10 — or — heat and humidity at peak temps?

Which is worse: crowds level 10 — or — heat and humidity at peak temps?

• Avoid Heat, go to WDW when crowds are high

• Avoid Crowds, go to WDW when temps are high

Results are only viewable after voting.
Simply, the choice isn't ONLY between heat or crowds, but also cost and risk. Summer costs less, quite a bit less. It isn't just WDW prices, it is everything. Christmas airfare is easily double that of late summer.

Both of the times you list also come with a bit added risk as well- relative to some other seasons. Christmas can = winter storms, and lots of travel headaches. Airports and highways are jam packed, and staff is not always happy to be working that week.

Summer can = hurricanes, especially September. I just looked up storms and over 50% of FL big storms over the last 100 years were in September (17). Followed by October (4), then August (3) then July (1) were the other months they have happened.

Give me the pool, sunblock, bottled water, and umbrella drink any day, not to mention actually being able to just walk in the parks, and get on the attractions. No thanks on the sea of bodies and pure mayhem that has become December in WDW.

It’s hot everywhere during the summer. You can’t beat the heat but there are ways to manage it. Even the most meticulously planned itinerary gets trashed when when you can’t walk through the mosh pit from one attraction to the next, but this is purely subjective.

I can't vote for either as I personally don't like either. We went in December this past year and it was freezing and crowds were not bad at all. I would take freezing over the heat anytime. Unfortunately this year we are going in October which will be really hot for me but I want to go during Halloween so have no choice but trying to go when its a little more manageable then summer time. I went in June one time and I used 2 or 3 shirts a day. I say go in early December and enjoy Christmas time at Disney. Such a magical time to be there.

Yup heat over crowds any day of the week and twice on Sunday! Plenty of places with AC you duck into. I CANNOT DEAL WITH CROWDS!!!!

I personally get sick in the heat. Yes I stay hydrated. I just don't handle the heat well at all. That makes the decision for me.

Honestly it depends on you handle different temps. No one will be able to tell you.

It can get freezing, but I'd rather be cold than hot. Some people are the complete opposite.

We were just there last month. Our family felt miserable in the heat and humidity. We decided if we ever go back we would rather deal with the crowds at Christmas than those temps. We are from Utah and don’t have much humidity. If you are from a humid location it might not phase you as much.

lol -- I didn't vote. Lots of people would be fine with either of these choices. Now me, as much as I love Disney, I'd personally skip it and stay home and/or pick a different vacation destination for summer like the mountains out west for cooler temperatures.

All that said I have been that week between Christmas and New Year's five different times. Do note thought that I just came along to be with some extended family at Christmas, but the older I get the less I can handle those crowds, and the Christmas crowds have always been too much for DH. He won't set foot in a Disney park then, but will go to SeaWorld for a day.

Also, summer for me was a one and done. DH has a seminar at the Contemporary (love that hotel if someone else is paying), but it was summer and instead of coming along I chose to stay home with DS while DH did the seminar. Even a freebie stay there couldn't get me to to do summer. I'd rather pay oop, do a shorter trip, do a more modest trip, and go at a nicer time weather wise.

Many many people go these times, though, and have a good time, so I am yet one person with one person's opinion. And I hate to be a negative Nellie, but first reactions for me are Yuck. Neither.

Last edited:
It all depends on how well you handle heat and humidity. Some people can, and some people can't. I don't personally handle heat or humidity well at all. I even lived in Florida for about a year in the 1990s, and the summer was miserable. Other posters have said, I tend to feel awful and woozy and sick to my stomach when I get overheated. I was even diagnosed with heat exhaustion once. I can use all of the coping strategies to deal with heat, and still have trouble with it. Luckily I live in the Pacific Northwest now, where our summers are very nice. In fact, today on July 2nd, we had a high of 72° and no humidity.

So for me, I would rather deal with bigger crowds and not have to worry about heat and humidity. That said, I wouldn't go at Christmas time, either. Early December, yes. But not Christmas week.

I’ve been in August and over NYE. I’m skipping August this year in favor of NYE.

i'll take crowds over heat any time. the most miserable we've ever been was during spring break so it was busy AND crowded. the humidity was unbearable. it sucked the life out of us and i was battling heat related illness most of the trip. crowds suck. you're bored in long lines, things take forever to do, and people are noisy... the humidity and hot made me feel like i had the flu for most of the day. i will not forget sitting at BOG for dinner and being totally unable to even look at my meal, a meal i had anticipated for 6 months, because i was so nauseous.

I vote Disneyland. Awesome weather. If dead set on Orlando then late Nov to early Dec is good weather and the crush of Xmas humanity has not arrived. Otherwise mid May would be good.

This summer will be stupid busy so you may as well select based on weather, there is no avoiding high crowds for at least 5 years.

We’re trying to decide whether to go this month for a fun week in WDW... or wait and go December 27 - Jan 4. What would you do?
If you go in summer, don't stay in the parks all day. Take breaks midday, and do your park touring in the morning and evenings. Combining resort pool swims and water park visits with the theme parks is a great way to experience WDW.

Summer heat is not the only weather problem you can encounter at WDW. In winter it occasionally gets really cold at the parks. During our last two winter park trips, we had the bad luck to encounter daytime temps that were freezing with the wind-chill factored in. That really makes outdoor touring unpleasant.

This is going to be totally up to you and your preferences. I just got back from five days and it was hot and humid, but we got up early every morning rode everything we wanted and spent the afternoon, (when it was not raining at the pool.) Then we went back at night. In the summer there are longer hours and it is obviously so much cheaper. Christmas is absolutely prime time for airfare, and hotels. On the other hand I have been for New Year's Eve the past two years and it is a lot of fun too. The decorations are fabulous and the cooler weather, heck it was pretty cold the past two years appeals to lots of folks. You won't get to do nearly as much around Christmas, but you can soak in the atmosphere. So it really depends on your budget, and family. Good luck choosing, you will have a great trip either way.

Heat is tolerable. Crowds are awful. I can rope drop, ride what I want, and then relax by the pool with a drink for hours. Once it's a bit cooler I head back into the parks. I don't ride the monorail, I get on the boats whenever possible (even when going to the Poly!). But I'm from Georgia so I can handle the heat.

We love summer trips, especially the end of August. Yeah, it's hot hot hot, but we rope drop, nap/swim and then stay out late. It works for our family, we love not having huge crowds. I would absolutely love to go at Christmas time, but I really don't like being in huge crowds, for me it wouldn't be enjoyable.

We love summer trips, especially the end of August. Yeah, it's hot hot hot, but we rope drop, nap/swim and then stay out late. It works for our family, we love not having huge crowds. I would absolutely love to go at Christmas time, but I really don't like being in huge crowds, for me it wouldn't be enjoyable.

I know with school it is really hard but if you can ever do it try first week or two of December. Not overly crowded and the weather is usually decent. Christmas time at Disney is something extremely special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter