Which is best second week in May or last week in September?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
Which would be better weather and crowd wise? We are planning for 2025. I know the second week of May starts with mother day. We will arrive on Mother’s Day and not go to the parks. I know September is hurricane season, but do temps cool down any the last week?

May would probably be better weather wise. In September you are likely to get the typical daily afternoon thunderstorms, and perhaps a hurricane. There will be little difference in temperature.

Crowd wise, September is slightly better than May.

I think early September is better for crowds than May. But I don't think late September is. By then, people are willing to take kids out of school and crowds are building for Halloween.

Definitely May when kids are closing out the school year and parents are less likely to take them out.

I have gone during September, and I live in Texas, and even then I was not prepared for what hit me at the parks. May, hands down would be my vote.

I have gone during September, and I live in Texas, and even then I was not prepared for what hit me at the parks. May, hands down would be my vote.
We have gone Labor Day week a long time ago and I remember the heat and humidity would take your breath away. I was hoping maybe it would get less hot and humid towards the last week, but it’s not likely according to the posts😬

Similarly, we live in New Orleans and visited once the week of Labor Day and said never again. We typically visit the week after Memorial Day and is still not bad for us, but we are going 2nd week of May this year and are looking forward to what the weather is like.

We've been in May, September and October. Always had fun, so if one time works better, go for it. That said, if we can't go our favorite cooler months of Jan/Feb, we lean towards late April/early May (going similar time as you) - less humid, somewhat of a break from schools being out and not quite extreme temps yet.

We are visiting in both May and September this year. May is my first choice. There is a better chance of somewhat less humid weather. September is still uncomfortably hot IMO, but a friend is celebrating a milestone birthday this year, so September it is. :-) I always try to choose our visits around non-summer periods (after many years of having no choice but the summer months), but things don’t always work out that way. It’s all good, but temperate weather is a treat when it happens.

I have gone during September, and I live in Texas, and even then I was not prepared for what hit me at the parks.
Oh-Oh!! Now I'm worried-I was sitting here thinking "I live in coastal Texas [in the Rio Grande Valley] where we have heat and high humidity, so I'm sure I can handle it." Now I'm having second thoughts.

Just check the schedule with May first. I think they do a lot of the Cheerleading competitions then and they are busy during those times.

Oh-Oh!! Now I'm worried-I was sitting here thinking "I live in coastal Texas [in the Rio Grande Valley] where we have heat and high humidity, so I'm sure I can handle it." Now I'm having second thoughts.
It's one thing to live in a hot, humid place and another to spend all day walking around outside on the concrete amid giant crowds for 15 hours totaling 20,000 steps or more.

It sure is better when it isn't so hot!

The problem I have with Sept is the humidity is unrelenting. Pretty much the whole time it’s in oppressive territory.

At least May has time to catch a break. It’s hot and often a bit humid, but not relentlessly oppressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter