which for adults: unofficial guide or passporter?

passporter - definitely - they try to kept up with all the new stuff at WDW and change the books accordingly - there is a lot in the Unofficial that is wrong - that has been wrong and he just does not seem to want to correct it.

also passporter site is free for your use - it will have if anything has changed since the last edition - so you don't have to search through a bunch of websites - (unless you are a Disney nut)

http://www.passporter.com/wdw/

Hi Pat,

Free online updates (including touring plans) to the Unofficial Guide have been available for quite some time. See my sig below for the URL. If there's anything we've missed, please let me know. I hope this also addresses your "he does not seem to want to correct it" concern, too.

As far as incorrect information goes, it's inevitable for any guidebook. I believe the 2003 Passporter, for example, still lists MuppetVision 3D as a FASTPASS attraction, when it's not had FASTPASS since 2001. To the best of my knowledge, the correction has yet to make it to the Passporter website, too. Further, the absence of Early Entry information in Birnbaum's Official guide has been well documented on this board and elsewhere.

This isn't to say that Birnbaum's or Passporter's is a bad guidebook, but that any printed media is going to have some incorrect information in it, given the pace of change in WDW.

Regarding the critical nature of the Unofficial Guide, all I can say is we call 'em like we see 'em. It would be unusual, for example, if every single dining establishment in Walt Disney World was - like the children in Garrison Keeler's Lake Wobegon - rated "above average." Given the number of restaurants and the difficulty of serving consistently excellent food to tens of thousands of people every day, some are going to be very good, a few will do poorly, and most should fall somewhere in the middle.

Where opinions vary widely, we print a representative sample of reader opinions next to our own, so others can make an informed decision. As we mention in the Guide, we strive to be objective and consumer-oriented when reviewing Walt Disney World. Folks that may be offended by this are probably better off with Disney press releases or the Official guide.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

Not sure if it's too late, but here's a vote for the Unofficial. I feel it has a lot more information - true, there's a lot of it to process, but it informs the reader and lets them decide.

As for the Passporter; I'll grant you that if you are not an organized person, it would be of value. But my DW is a Franklin Planner person, and she and I have no trouble keeping track of confirmation numbers, dates, amounts, receipts, etc. - so the record keeping part of the Passporter gives no value to us.

Note: DW and I are both techie types, so the 'lots of info' approach of the Unofficial really works for us.

I absolutely vote for the Unofficial Guide as well. I was one of the late-comers on the Unofficial Guide scene, having favored the colorful pictures and fun layout of the Birnbaum's Official Guide, but I must admit that the Unofficial Guide has definitely found a fan in me. It's JAMMED with information, it's an extremely interesting and quick read, and you won't miss all those pictures and colors when you appreciate the value of the information you're getting.

As for the Passporter, to me it really seems to bridge the middle-ground between the Official Guide and the Unofficial Guide. I have a copy, but I only looked at a few pages before I lost interest. I think I'll be returning it in exchange for this year's edition of the Unofficial Guide to Central Florida Attractions, or whatever it's called. That book is supposed to go over Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Sea World, and a number of other places not mentioned in the Disney Guide. Looks like a winner to me!

Either way, happy reading and enjoy! :)

Len - to tell your the problems I noticed I would have to buy a new one - I am not willing too

One of the things that was wrong in the 2002 and has been wrong and yes I have send letters so have other DVC members is stating that you can not own a timeshare in Fl for the FL resident pass. There were several other things - but considering how many times and how many people pointed that one out - that is one that stills makes me mad!!!

WDW states that you are not a resident of FL just because you own a timeshares - unless you have a driver's licence for Fl, can show your name on a utility bill for the state of Fla, or have a library pass for Fla.

there were several others - but as I say right now I am not buying another book.

I have both of the books and the passporter came in handy for everything it has all the info you could ever need or want. It also has coupons for the shuttle rides from airport to DW.

Hi,
I never heard of Passporter! I have been reading U.G. and I think it has a lot of info. Can you tell me more about Passporter.

The Library is a wonderful resource for Walt Disney World travel guides. I just took out The Unofficial Guide (2003), Birnbaum's (2003), WDW for Adults, and the Fodor's 2003 WDW and Orlando guide. I purchased the PassPorter for all of the features, but I'm enjoying reading all the others FREE OF CHARGE!

---Andra

Hi there:

Again a 1st timer to Disney in January 2004 - I have a Birnbaum's without kids from 1999, which I really liked but did find a bit difficult to find stuff quickly in it. So my questions is - if I buy a Passporter (which I probably will) should I buy the Unofficial Guide to supplement or WDW for Couples by the Perlmetters (or should I forget the Passporter and just buy these two). Unfortunately I haven't been able to look at any of these as my local library only seems to have Birnbaum's (which I have already own) or Fodor's. The bookstores also seem to have these and a few other more obscure titles.

As I said my Significant Other and myself will be going down in Jan.

Any help from this board would be much appreciated

:teeth: :teeth:

Thanks,

Caroline aka Charlie

<b>Welcome to the DIS and Adult/Solo Board, Caroline aka Charlie</b>. I haven't bought a guidebook in several years, so I'm afraid I'm not a good source for advice in this area. But I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions on this board.

Hi Caroline,

Let me know if you have any questions about the Unofficial Guide. If I don't know the answer, I know someone that will.

Sincerely,

Len

I just received the 04 Unofficial Guide and it is my primary choice for touring and information

The passporter is a solid #2 choice for us

Thanks
jaysue

My #1 choice is the PassPorter. I own the deluxe binder version that helps me keep all my stuff organized. I have owned it since early 2001 and it still looks new. I just buy the refills and love reading all the detailed info inside. I've also found the www.passporter.com website to be extremely helpful, and you can print off updates to insert into your PassPorter. I also do the MyPoints rewards program, so any gift certificates I earn go right into the PassPorter for safekeeping.

I've purchased the unofficial and official guides, and a few others. While they are full of information, I prefer the writing style in the PassPorter. My PassPorter is truly one of my favorite possessions. I've always told my husband - if there's ever an emergency where we have to flee the house, he needs to grab the pets and my PassPorter! ;-)

Maybe you've already ruled this one out but my husband and I recommend Walt Disney World for Couples by Rick and Gayle Perlmutter. It's a great resource and I carried it in my purse on our last trip to WDW.

Thank you all - I had thought about the unofficial and the for couples by the perlmetters (sp?) but then saw all the raves on this board and others for the passporter - but seeing as how I would have to order from the company direct (or another US source) and pay shipping , duty and Cdn -US exchange rate - a $20 book would end up being close to $50 - I wanted to know if it was really worth it. I think I will now get the Perlmetter's and the Unofficial Guide and together from Amozon.ca that will cost me about the same as the passporter alone (or a bit less).

Thanks again,

Caroline aka Charlie:Pinkbounc

Well, I decided too. I had no idea there would be so many opinions on this when I started, but I'm glad to have seen them all!

We decided to wait until the 2004 Unofficial guide was out (it is now) and we're going to get that. I figure I'm a pretty organized person and already have things organized the way I want, so the Passporter wouldn't help that much. Maybe I can get the passporter the next time we go. hmm, must think about that. :)

CMB25,

I just bought the spiral bound Passporter 2003 from Amazon.ca and it cost $21.31 Canadian plus tax. I bought one other non Disney book and because I spent over $39.00 shipping was free.

Just search under passporter on the amazon.ca website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter