which for adults: unofficial guide or passporter?

rachael95

DIS Veteran
If you were only going to buy one book for an adults-only vacation. Which would you buy:

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World

or

The Passporter

or some other book. I have an old Birnbaums for WDW w/out Kids from 2000, but not sure if it was that much help. We never got to go in 2000 and our trip in Sept. of this year will be our first.
TIA!

I would have to go with Passporter. (Not to say that Unofficial is bad) Passporter is more user friendly and looks for the good. I have had both and sometimes I think Unofficial is overly critical. The authors of Passporter really know their stuff and really enjoy what they do!:)

I like both but if it's your first time at WDW, I'd also suggest Passporter. It's very user-friendly. It has pockets for tickets, a place to write down all your PS numbers, travel info, and a place to work out your budget. It also has rating's for rides and attractions, restaurants and the clubs on Pleasure Island and The Boardwalk. It's a great way to get and keep organized.

Cheers :wave:

I find the unofficial guide to be wordy - which isn't good for first timers. I also agree its unnecessarily negative. Just because the author doesn't like something doesn't mean it won't be your favorite thing in the park! Passporter overcomes this by giving two authors individual ratings, plus user ratings. First timers can really use the nice maps and concise descriptions in Passporter or Birnbaums.

Your 2000 Birnbaums is a little dated, but probably not much. The nice thing about the Birnbaums are the color maps and pictures. I'd get a Passporter and suppliment it with the Birnbaums.

Dear Rachael95,

I must agree that the passporter is the best thing since sliced bread. However, I do like the UnOffical Guide - I think It's so funny and also it grounds you.

The Passporter allows you to write you thought and feelings and has pockets to put all info pertaining to particular days. Also as for you impressions and financial info so that you will remember for the next WDW trip!

My first passporter (2000) was purchased from Barnes & Nobles.
My second passporter (2002) was purchased from the site. This time my passporter (2003) was purchased from www.overstock.com. I purchased it for approx. $9.00. This is an alternative to the $22 - $28 dollar in-store price.

Enjoy! Have a good time. I'm sooooooo excited for you!
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: Can you tell?

I may end up getting the Unofficial guide too. That's what people at work have suggested, though I might see if I could just borrow one of their's. ;)

Gotta agree with the majority here, PassPorter is the BEST guide.

When I was planning my first trip, I bought several guides and, after going thru them all, I ended up using only the PassPorter. Since then, I've purchased one every year because I also use it as a place to save my souvenirs, receipts, notes, etc.

Go for borrowing the Unofficial, rachel95, and save yourself some $$$.

I agree- definitely Passporter. I purchased both and I like the Passporter much better. It's much easier to read. I also have the most current edition of Birnbaums without kids and I found that to be helpful also.

I get to be the odd duck. I love the off the beat humor of the UG. The biggest thing I like is the restaurant reviews. Just IMO but I have a tendency to agree with them. Well about 90% of the time.

I looked at the passaporter today and it seemed like a pre-arranged scrapbook one could use for planning and executing their commando program. That must be a good idea for visiting when the crowds are high or the budget is low. But $22?

I bought the "UG" and it's pretty funny in some places but a little outdated. For example, the Surprise Mornings program was terminated for resort guests, and replaced by the Character Caravan for a year, but there is now, beginning 10/1/2002, the Extra Magic Hour. So what's the big deal?

I'll probably pick up the Birnbaum's official guide to see the pictures and read the "less realistic" attitude. A trip to Disney is fake and unreal, (imaginary fantasy, if you prefer, as I do), not real-life reality, in my opinion. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I love both books, but your original question was: if I could pick just ONE...

I would recommend Unofficial Guide because it is packed with far more information. As with AJA55, I also love the dry humor that the author writes in. Also, I love their touring guides because I have no children and have the freedom to go where I please.

But if I were you...get both! The Passporter is awesome because of being able to keep all personal information in one place.

See...I TOLD you I would muddy the waters! ;)

I probably will end up getting both eventually. But I'm hoping I can find someone at work willing to lend me the Unofficial guide. My copy of the Birnbaums is actually one someone else from work gave me when they got a newer version.

Just wondering... what's the difference between the regular and deluxe editions? Is it worth the money to get the deluxe?

Originally posted by BellyDaisy
Just wondering... what's the difference between the regular and deluxe editions? Is it worth the money to get the deluxe?

The regular PassPorter is a spiral-bound book. The deluxe edition is in a ring-binder format. Both editions include the same material (including covers and passpockets).

The deluxe edition is definitely worth the money for me because I like to travel light to the parks. So I can take a passpocket and some pages with me to the park rather than the whole book.

Another advantage is that you can buy additional passpockets (for longer or additional trips) and just the insert for future versions. I've done this for 2002 and 2003.

How bout this...GO TO THE LIBRARY!!!! You can look at all of the books to decide which is best for you. My libraries don't have passporter but they have ALL of the others. I read all the others then bought my passporter off half.com for $12.

So if you HAVE to buy one go to the library first read them all and then pick one! If the newest edition isn't there ask a librarian to reserve it for you.

Sorry, I'm a librarian, I had to put it out there! :p :p :p

Sarah

Just thought I'd chime in with my two cents. Although the Passporter is popular I prefer the unofficial guide. I found it has more useful info, I like the way it's laid out and I love the touring plans. Everybody has their preferences though do I'd definitely try the library or Chapter's where you can browse through and see what you thing. I also like Birnbaum's Official guide in addition to the UG. Whatever one you choose will be fine!:D

I am a PassPorter devotee, so it gets my vote, I love that it allows you to keep everything in one place.

The unofficial guide is my preferred book even though I own a passporter as well. The unoffical guide is honest, thorough and practical chock full of useful information and hints

Plus the touring plans are the best guides to avoiding line ups and bottlenecks

Thanks
jaysue

I would have to vote for PassPorter all the way!!! I bought the deluxe version last year and got the refills for this year. It is one of the best guides out there!! It's honest, but not as overly critical as I find the Unofficial to be.

PassPorter is worth every penny!!!
:jester: :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter