Which DVC resort to rent? Most updated? Teens?

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
Hello hope you can help. I hve rented points on and off thru the years prior to my check in at my "home" resort of Yacht Club! This summer I am letting my DD15 bring a friend with her and told the girls they could pick our 2 night DVC rental prior to checking into the YC for a week. I am having trouble through helping them with their selections b/c either pics are very outdated on the web or maybe they haven't updated the rooms in a while. Here is what I have ruled out/in.

1. OKW. Just stayed there last month, it was nice but DD asked for something else next summer. OUT

2. SS - did not look/feel Disney enough to them. OUT

3. BWV - I have stayed at BWI and loved it but BWV the pics I saw looked OLD. Has it been updated lately and maybe my pics are out of date?

4. - BC. I know is due for refurb and we are staying at YC so ruled this out.

5. WLV - again, pics look old! outdated or just no refurb?

6. AK - hve stayed here before. It is ok...DD prefers it but would be swayed elsewhere.....Can't really tell much difference between either house. WE have stayed at Jambo...Is one house better than the other?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be so helpful. I just can't seem to find one thread that shows the updates on DVC properties or just one thread to scroll thru all pics of DVCs.....

thanks much.

Since you didn't list it, you could try BLT just to be near MK for a couple of days.

Kidani Village is different than Jambo House. More quiet and relaxing. You feel like hanging ariund in the public areas to relax whereas at Jambo House it gets pretty noisy near and in the lobby area. Many families prefer the pool and water play area there. There is community hall for the kids at Kidiani. The 1 & 2BRs have an extra bathroom off of the living room. There is no quick service except at the pool and Saana is the only restaurant. It's a 10 minute walk or you can take the shuttle between the two resorts to dine at Jambo House, I like that the buses going to the parks start at Kidan soi you have a seat in the mornings.

I think VWL is due to have a soft goods upgrade soon, but not this year. Part of the themes at BWV, VWL and even OKW is to look rustic. The addition of the laminate floors at OKW was part if the original theming and it's taken people awhile to adjust to it. Some still hate it.

Keep in mind DVC is a timeshare and the members dues pay for any upgrades or remodels. DIsney, with the deep pockets, does not pay for the DVC resorts improvements, except in the few years they plan to change the bedding all Disney resorts to have duvet, and three sheet bedding. If the cost of renting points were raised a lot you might think the remodels were not worth it.

Since you will be at Yacht Club for a week then a change of location at BLT would be a good choice. The kids could resort hop to the monorail resorts. The modern decor of BLT would also probably appeal to them.

I would also suggest BLT. It's so convenient to MK. Poly, Grand Floridian, Ft. Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge are a boatride away for a change of pace and scene. Taking a boat out on Bay Lake is fun. There are so many food options. And if you're getting a 1 bedroom you have the sleeper chair and an extra bathroom. That's well worth it with two teenage girls.

Hello hope you can help. I hve rented points on and off thru the years prior to my check in at my "home" resort of Yacht Club! This summer I am letting my DD15 bring a friend with her and told the girls they could pick our 2 night DVC rental prior to checking into the YC for a week. I am having trouble through helping them with their selections b/c either pics are very outdated on the web or maybe they haven't updated the rooms in a while. Here is what I have ruled out/in.

1. OKW. Just stayed there last month, it was nice but DD asked for something else next summer. OUT

2. SS - did not look/feel Disney enough to them. OUT

3. BWV - I have stayed at BWI and loved it but BWV the pics I saw looked OLD. Has it been updated lately and maybe my pics are out of date?

4. - BC. I know is due for refurb and we are staying at YC so ruled this out.

5. WLV - again, pics look old! outdated or just no refurb?

6. AK - hve stayed here before. It is ok...DD prefers it but would be swayed elsewhere.....Can't really tell much difference between either house. WE have stayed at Jambo...Is one house better than the other?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be so helpful. I just can't seem to find one thread that shows the updates on DVC properties or just one thread to scroll thru all pics of DVCs.....

thanks much.
For this summer your options might be limited, esp if you're looking for a studio. Ignoring availability, I'd say either AKV, VWL or BLT to give a variety from YC and I wouldn't rule out SSR since it's less points, has some nice pools and has proximity to DTD. Also, if you're getting any DP options, this might affect the choices. Another alternative is to stay off site and do none Disney things like Universal. Still another option might be a trip down to Vero Beach for the Disney resort there and some beach time.

For this summer your options might be limited, esp if you're looking for a studio. Ignoring availability, I'd say either AKV, VWL or BLT to give a variety from YC and I wouldn't rule out SSR since it's less points, has some nice pools and has proximity to DTD. Also, if you're getting any DP options, this might affect the choices. Another alternative is to stay off site and do none Disney things like Universal. Still another option might be a trip down to Vero Beach for the Disney resort there and some beach time.

Oh no it wouldn't be until 2014 sorry about that. I just returned from my summer 2013 trip and already planning ahead...! I think it is AKV for sure....well at least in THEIR minds. I won't rule out SSR and BLT....We did universal the last couple of summers and I am holding out until 2015 on that when potter is open for sure on our visit. We were there opening weekend in 2010 and it was insane...I can't do opening again there!:thumbsup2 Great suggestions everyone and great reasoning. I appreciate it!!

The last three visits we have started or finished our trips with one night at BLT....great for fireworks, pool time and walking to the MK. I've been lucky to find availability each time. But the girls have voted to try VGF in June if we can snag a reservation at 7 months. That beach pool is very nice.

Don't forget that Grand Floridian Villas will be open by then. If you want some nice luxury, that might be an option. Otherwise I too will recommend BLT.

Our two older dd and my dh and I love AKV. Those are our favorite by far and we love Boma restaurant. But if you going to the parks a lot and just for the monorail and being more modern, I would definitely pick BLT. Very new and modern. Great lounge on roof to see fireworks. Lots of great views all around the resort. Very lively! Just my 2 cents!

Oh no it wouldn't be until 2014 sorry about that. I just returned from my summer 2013 trip and already planning ahead...! I think it is AKV for sure....well at least in THEIR minds. I won't rule out SSR and BLT....We did universal the last couple of summers and I am holding out until 2015 on that when potter is open for sure on our visit. We were there opening weekend in 2010 and it was insane...I can't do opening again there!:thumbsup2 Great suggestions everyone and great reasoning. I appreciate it!!
That's great, I was worried there for a minute. For next summer, I'd likely put GF at or near the top for the reasons I noted above. Enjoy the planning and trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter