Which DVC Resort has the best 1-bedroom

HallDisney2019

Earning My Ears
We are looking to join DVC. Still undecided on if we should go resale vs. direct (if you want to share your opinion here, please do so)

However, for this thread, we wanted to get other members opinion on which resort has the best 1-bedroom room type.

We have a family of 4, likely 5 in the coming years and believe a 1-bedroom will get us by for the next few years. Then, as the kids get older, we can always add a deluxe studio at the same resort for our trips.

Ready, set, go!

Thanks

We are looking to join DVC. Still undecided on if we should go resale vs. direct (if you want to share your opinion here, please do so)

However, for this thread, we wanted to get other members opinion on which resort has the best 1-bedroom room type.

We have a family of 4, likely 5 in the coming years and believe a 1-bedroom will get us by for the next few years. Then, as the kids get older, we can always add a deluxe studio at the same resort for our trips.

Ready, set, go!

Thanks
What things do you value in a 1 BR?

For me: AKL 1 BR Savannah View, Kidani. Has jetted bathtub for relaxation after long day at park, sofa bed and single sleeper in the living room (so separate sleeping spaces for 2 children, or can accommodate 3 children), has two bathrooms, and you have a view of animals from your room.

If you can nab it, the AKL 1 Bedroom Concerige might take #1 because of the free food -- a huge win when you have 2-3 children, especially when they are teenagers!

As a family of 5, we liked OKW for the extra sleeper chair and bigger space and very large bathroom. We also liked AKV for the sleeper chair and 2nd full bathroom. OKW has more sq footage and also "feels" much larger because of many windows in living area, layout and large patio with dining for 4. We never found a need for a 2BR in 10 years.

We're biased to BLT as it's our home resort. Love the CR/BLT location, MK, Monorail. sleeps 5 and has 2 bathrooms! AKL Kidani also have 2 bathrooms, but the decor is too dark for our tastes.

OKW has the best one bedroom because of all the space and the twin sized sleeper chair (not bunk sized like those funky murphy beds in the studios). As you need more space, booking a two bedroom villa will usually save you points over booking a one bedroom plus a studio. Also, if you book them separately, there is no guarantee they will be close to each other. Then the studio will need an adult (18 or older) staying in the room.

OKW has the best one bedroom because of all the space and the twin sized sleeper chair (not bunk sized like those funky murphy beds in the studios). As you need more space, booking a two bedroom villa will usually save you points over booking a one bedroom plus a studio. Also, if you book them separately, there is no guarantee they will be close to each other. Then the studio will need an adult (18 or older) staying in the room.
The Kidani and BLT 1-bedrooms also have the sleeper chair, as well as a 2nd full bath, so no one has to go through the master bedroom to get to the bathroom (I know that’s not an issue with all of OKW, just some buildings), and the people in the master don’t have to share the bathroom.

Bay Lake Tower or Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani have the optimal 1 bedroom layout with 2 bathrooms, 1 King bed in the master, 1 queen sofa bed, and 1 pull-out chair. We prefer Bay Lake Tower for brightness, proximity to Magic Kingdom, and closeness to shops and food. Old Key West 1 bedrooms sleep 5, but don't have the extra bathroom, and is easier to get without owning there. Old Key West also doesn't have elevators in most of their buildings. Animal Kingdom Lodge offers a much more unique environment, but isn't too hard to get when you own elsewhere. Bay Lake Tower is also possible to get if you own elsewhere, but not likely the cheaper rooms.

The main advantage (to us) with going direct is getting the Annual Pass discounts. While we didn't originally think we would use the Annual Pass, we have often decided to go at the beginning of the annual pass year and at the end of the annual pass year, making 2 trips which are almost like going once every year. Having the Annual Pass, however, makes it more tempting to go more often. Just like owning DVC makes it more tempting to go more often.

We're also a family of 4 (soon to be 5) and have been mostly booking 1BRs for now. It depends on what you value in a 1BR. If you want two full bathrooms, then BLT or AKV-Kidani are your options at WDW. With younger kids, I don't feel like this matters as much since they can't bathe without your help anyway. If you prefer Murphy beds and dislike traditional sofa beds (this is us), SSR and RIV are great since they have the smaller Murphy bed under the TV plus the larger Murphy bed instead of a traditional sofa bed. We also like the 1BR at VGF since there's the Murphy bed for one kid and we request a crib for the 1 year old.

We have a family of 4, likely 5 in the coming years
So one of things I thought about is with 2 kids a 1br is doable but with 3 kids you really are going to likely want a 2br.

With that being said what is coming "years"? Are you talking about another 2-3 years (possibly never)?

THis chart will show you what has room for 5. That being said an infant will not count until they turn 3 years old. What that means is you are going to have at least 4 years (unless you are pregnant now) and possibly 5/6/7 years before you have to decide.

SSR, BCV, BWV and BRV are all very, very similar. As they refurbish the SSR rooms, they are upgrading them to sleep 5; the others sleep 4.

AKV-Kidani, BLT, and OKW stand out as the best literal rooms for the reasons others have laid out - 2 bathrooms at AKV and BLT and huge rooms with great layouts and massive patios/balconies at OKW, plus all 3 sleep 5. The amazingness of the OKW balcony cannot be overstated - I remember it from my childhood.

I enjoy the best one bedroom debate. Another vote here for BLT with space, layout and location. Love the size of Riviera and the refurbishment at SSR adding the 5th person is awesome. I haven’t stayed at OKW.

The other thing going for OKW one (or two bedroom) is the porch. It is much bigger than the little narrow balconies that most of the resorts have. It has a full sized table with four chairs and a ceiling fan.

Depends on the party? RIV for an extra adult in a murphy & space. AKL-Kidani, BLT for reasons mentioned - extra bath with teens/young folks. OKW 1 for non-park relaxation stays - or 2br when we need to jam in a bunch of adult-sized folks.

Depends on the party? RIV for an extra adult in a murphy & space. AKL-Kidani, BLT for reasons mentioned - extra bath with teens/young folks. OKW 1 for non-park relaxation stays - or 2br when we need to jam in a bunch of adult-sized folks.
Oh yeah that reminds me, shout out to renovated rooms at Saratoga Springs for the real 2nd (murphy style) bed. When my kids are teenagers/young adults I expect we will stay at SSR with some frequency for that reason if they don't roll those out to other resorts in the interim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter