Which Disneyland hotel is the best & why???

I was shocked by the efficiency of Vacation Planning. All I had to do was tell them what I wanted and they handled it. Every evening I had a surprise treat sent to our room and they put the cutest notes with them. My kids were so excited because they thought they were actually getting treats from Mickey Mouse and the Princesses. You will be relieved to know that this vacation should be stressfree compared to WDW. My husband even commented on how little work it took to have an exceptionally magic time.

Another recommendation would be to make sure to have a character breakfast at the Plaza with Minnie and Friends we did all the character breakfasts the last time we were there and I must say the Plaza Inn was the best. I would rate Lilo and Stitch behind that one. We were disappointed with Goofy's Kitchen, but it just depends on when you go I guess.

You are going to have soooo much fun. The park is so quaint and it is so much easier to get around with your kids. We came back from WDW with kids so exhausted they could barely move. Not so with Disneyland!

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!! :goodvibes

I appreciate all the info so much. :) I am just waffling about maybe just sticking to my comfort zone of WDW.... :guilty: AGAIN! I feel kind of pathetic spending my 40th bday there, though, as I have been so many times - love it, but still.....I think I am already having a midlife crisis. This is pathetic!! I am so indecisive. I was thinking about the Carribean, too, but then the hurricane season worry......ugh.

I think now after all you've told me, I would do GC if I wind up at DL. It doesn't sound like concierge would even really be necessary to get everything arranged. I feel panicky and rushed to get everything scheduled like that dumb 180day out booking window for WDW does to me. It does seem that DL is more laid back. (hope so, anyway)

THANKS so much for all the input. :goodvibes

Minniemoms - happy July 1 bday to you!!

Lives4Disney

DL is defintely more laid back about ADRs. The only thing you need to worry about getting is Fantasmic balcony or Riverside reserved seating. Here's one thread that discusses this, there are many others that may have better info. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1039975&highlight=fantasmic+balcony I love the show and highly recomend the seats if you can afford them, but getting tickets is kind of like reserving the Illuminations cruise at WDW! You can book these 1 month/30 days out. We did this in 2004 for my daughters birthday and it was so much fun! Everything else you can still get ADRs very close to the date, although I do recommend making your ADRS as soon as possible, up to 60 days out. Since I see you have girls you must have lunch or dinner at Ariel's Grotto in DCA with the Princesses! You will have a wonderful trip!

I've stayed there multiple times. The good things like easy access you've already heard but also the atmosphere is incredible. The lobby and fireplace area are magnificent. I've actually fallen asleep by the fire there in a comfy chair. I love Storytellers restaurant. The food is delicious and the pool area is great. It's large and overlooks CA park. I love love love it. I' have never stayed at DLH though but I have stayed at PP. It is cold and boring. The one good thing is that it does overlook paradise pier and you have a great view especially at night. You can see the electric parade from there too which is nice.

We are going to DL in October and I have researched the Disney hotels looking at the Dinsey Website as well as tripadvisor.com and other reviews. The DLH gets the least amout of love overall in my opinion. GCH is by far the best reviews however an occational question about value. PP seems to get good review is a good value. The pool on top of the hotel at PP with the slide sold my kids. We will be staying at PP or if we really want ot slurg we'll go to GCH. We are attending the Mickey's Halloween Party at DCA on Oct 20th so both the GCH and PP are ideal locations.

Good luck on your trip and Happy Birthday to all of you! :bounce:

We have stayed at both GC and DLH and like most other posters LOVE GC for all the same reasons. In fact it is THE only hotel we will stay in now (and we have stayed in a lot of different hotels around DL). The BEST part is the entrance from GC is right in front of GR so you and your kids can get SOAKED and just run up and change if you don't want to walk around wet or my girls favorite thing to do is ride GR time after time right before it closes then come up and go to bed!! Pricier than other hotels but remember location, location, location. To answer question about conceirge - we have had it two different times at DLH. Conceirge is only in ONE tower (I can't believe I can't remember the name of the tower). If you are in the tower that DOESN'T have conceirge - it frankly SUCKS!! :furious: You can't just "pop up" for a cookie or a soda, you have to go to a completely different tower to enjoy so you just as well save the $$ and buy from the vending machine!! Now I must confess its been about 8 years or more since we used the conceirge service. California Adventures was still being built and we would sit in the suite and watch all the construction going on - it was a few years ago and things MAY be different BUT frankly 8 years ago, it just wasn't worth the money (and I was a fool and did it again!! :confused3 ) The services included: all the drinks (soda/water) you wanted - so we would load up the stroller for the day :rolleyes1 and be on our way (I THINK they limit that now). There was continental breakfast in the morning but VERY limited items (besides GK is the ONLY place to have breakfast), cookies served periodically through the day and cheese and wine for a couple of hours at night plus turn-down service. At GC all rooms have turndown service which is what my kids loved the most - they thought for sure Mickey had done it himself!! Good Luck and have a GRAND time!!! :cheer2:

I have stayed at DH & GC, I have only done concierge at the grand which was when we were there about 7 months ago.The best was that they have a balcony off of the lounge & pipe the music in for the fireworks show. You don't have a perfect view but if you have tired kidlets it will work. If you get there in time, you can get a chair, a cup of tea or coffee and a treat, sit back & watch. I think between that & not having to pay almost $2 a bottle for water it was well worth the extra $$. We found ourselves getting breakfast & lunch munchies in there & only buying dinner for ourselves (my hubby & I). Our 5 yr old was different but he is cheap :teeth: . So my vote, which is where we are going mid-June is the Grand CA at concierge level.
Walk to the monorail, seperate entrance into CA & downtown Disney at your doorstep. Can't miss! Also if you have kids & need a night to yourselves, check out Pinochio's (I know the spelling is wrong! :bounce: ) Workshop. Evening care for your kids & my 5 yr old LOVED it! The people are great & the kids have a bunch of stuff to do. They even take them up to see the fireworks in the lounge!
ENJOY!!!!

You are going to have a great time....we also usually go to WDW, but try to sneak in a trip to Anaheim every year or so. They're both great resorts...here is why I love DL:

1) Weather - We're going in July when you are going, and the weather is soooo nice (I'm from Louisiana and a break from the humidity is much appreciated)

2) Walking - you can walk anywhere you want to go, so no waiting for buses, monorail, etc.

3) California Screamin' and Indiana Jones - you will love them!

As far as hotels, we've stayed at GCH and DLH and have tried concierge at both. My favorite room ever was a corner room with a theme park/downtown Disney view on the top floor of DLH - if I could get that room everytime I wouldn't stay anywhere else. That being said, we're staying at GCH this summer in standard rooms since we need 2 of them. GCH is closer to everything and very nice and new. None of the hotels compare to my personal WDW fave, the GF, but I love DL all the same. I'd really be hard pressed to pick a favorite resort...so I won't :)

Lives4Disney said:
THANKS all!! I am definitely leaning towards GCH and that AAA package with the enhanced fastpass option sounds awesome! I don't have AAA, but would be willing to join. Are the rooms still at rack rate with a AAA package??

The break that you get booking through AAA may depend upon when you book. I believe they hold a certain number of rooms for a AAA reduced rate, but those may go pretty fast. Last year, I booked a AAA package through AAA for GCH in August. I compared packages and found that there wasn't much difference between the AAA 4 night package rate and the Disneyland.com rate for a standard room, but that a park view AAA rate was just a little more than a standard room (a few hundred dollars savings over the Disneyland.com quote). Naturally, we took the park view and just loved it. I think we booked a good 4 months in advance. IMO, if you are going during a busy period and spend a lot of time riding the FP rides, the Enhanced FP alone is worth the AAA membership. You may be able to get AAA quotes without commiting to a membership, and only pay for a membership if you decide to go that way. At the time, I found it easier to get quotes going to a AAA office (as opposed to getting quotes online). Don't be too surprised if the agent doesn't know much about the enhanced FP. Ours did, but then we live in California...

Well . . . if the AAA ratings are anything to go by . . .

DGC ****
DLH ***
PPH ***

As for the other questions, just coming back from a weekend staying at the Disney's Grand Californian or DGC with my brother-in-law . . .

As far as I know, there are only two stops for the monorail. One within the park at Tomorrowland and one outside the park at Downtown Disney or DD, but the stop at DD is just a short distance from the DGC and the Disneyland Hotel or DLH.

I don't know whether the Paradise Pier Hotel or PPH is within walking distance of the DGC, because we never walked it, but we walked over to the DLH, from the DGC, for dinner at Hook's Point and breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. And depending upon how fast you walk, it is no more then fifteen to twenty minutes between hotels. And it is an especially nice walk between the two hotels, through DD, early in the morning or late at night.

We always stay at the concierge level. This time at DGC. And as there is usually something to eat and/or drink as long as the concierge lounge is open, we never worried about eating dessert in the park, but came back to the lounge for dessert. And on our last day, we never even bothered about eating lunch in the park. As it was tea time in the lounge, we filled ourselves up with tea sandwiches.

Yes, it will be crowded on the 4th of July, as it is on most holidays, but, supposedly, they have a heck of fireworks show on that night. Which makes another reason to stay at the concierge level at the DGC, as they dim the lights in the lounge, pipe in the sounds, and you can kick back and have something to eat and drink while watching the fireworks from the lounge. Indeed, I have had a better view of the fireworks from the lounge, then I have had from inside the park.

But, whenever you go. Wherever you stay. Have a magical time.

THANKS again for all the great info. I am just not real happy with the cost of my little getaway!! ;)

I priced out just 5 nights concierge w/park hoppers (6 day) at the GC hotel and it is over $4800!!! Just 5 nights!! I could stay at the GF in the main building concierge for a week for that amt of money. That price just seems hideous for a little bday getaway. :rolleyes: We just got back from the most wonderful GF RPC stay for 9 nights and it didn't cost a whole lot more than the GC for 5 nights.

That price is rack rate and I do not pay rack rate at WDW, I pay AP rate. Is there any way to get a better deal at the GC?? If I joined AAA, I did go on their website and saw "standard room" category available, but it was same price as on the DL website. They didn't show concierge offered on AAA. :confused3

Even without concierge, the rate is about $3200 for those same 5 nights. That just seems overpriced to me. My husband really enjoys concierge....I could stay at the YC/BC for about a week in concierge for that. :guilty: I am torn. That awful July Florida weather is a deterent, CA sounds nicer, but I am leary about spending that much money on the unknown!! :blush:

Lives4Disney :sunny:

MAGICPOTATO said:
We have stayed at both GC and DLH and like most other posters LOVE GC for all the same reasons. In fact it is THE only hotel we will stay in now (and we have stayed in a lot of different hotels around DL). The BEST part is the entrance from GC is right in front of GR so you and your kids can get SOAKED and just run up and change if you don't want to walk around wet or my girls favorite thing to do is ride GR time after time right before it closes then come up and go to bed!! ...

Magic Potato- We love this about GC too!!! It's so fun to ride GR as much as you want and get completely SOAKED!! Then run over to your room and change!!!!

Lives4Disney said:
Hi, I am a WDW veteran of close to 40 trips, but never been to DL and we are thinking of going over the July 4th holiday (July 1 - July 9). I turn 40, and my husband and daughter both have their bdays on July 1. :sunny: We wanted to do something special (well, I do anyway ;) )

I am not too overly crazy about the look of the GC - It is beautiful, but it reminds me of home (same colors, style etc although my home isn't "Grand"!)

The Disneyland hotel looks kind of cute and fun and Disneyish, but is it deluxe or would I feel like I should have done the GC for a deluxe stay? I would prefer concierge, too at either hotel - anybody love concierge at either (or hate it)?? :confused3

Any comparisons of the GC and DL hotel pools?? My kids are 6, 9, and 15. Good slides at both??

Anybody with some good or awful DL hotel or GC hotel experiences care to share?? I am starting from square one. Got my Birmbaum book and my Unnoficial Guide, too, but I am feeling overwhelmed and of course don't want to make the wrong choice and be disappointed.

AND MOST OF ALL :blush: - Do you think the parks will be so crowded and hot that it will be a bust of a trip and maybe we should just go another time?? I kind of gave up considering WDW for this trip as my husband really does not tolerate heat too well. Any advice is welcome and appreciated. :)

THANKS for sharing!

Lives4Disney :goodvibes

The GC is the only Disneyland resort that's comparable to a WDW deluxe resort in themeing. It's a great resort and the only one that was built by Disney. It will be extremely crowded the week of the 4th, so be prepared for that. It will be hot, but not humid.

With the GC you are paying for location and the resort is nice. It is wonderful to be able to just walk out of hotel and you are either in DTD or DCA and it only takes a few minutes to walk to the monorail or Disneyland’s main gates (we prefer walking through DCA to get back and forth during the day). I am not sure if any resorts in WDW can offer that.

I have not been to WDW yet and had actually planned on going this summer, but we chickened out. WDW is just too big and overwhelming. Disneyland is so much smaller and easier to get around, but it still is magical and has a ton to offer. I feel that your husband should be able to handle the weather a lot better in California.

We are annual passholders and have stayed at DL hotel and PP. We, by far, prefer DL hotel over PP. When we stayed at PP we felt like we did not get that Disney feel like when we stay at DL hotel. Having to walk across a street to get to DC was a bummer for us too. That may not be a big deal to some, but to our family we want to be completely engrossed in that Disney feel when we are there. Staying at DL hotel you walk out your door and you are practically standing in DD. Staying at the DL hotel you have the nightly water show, you can watch them feed the koi fish, the pool is great, and I like having the little hamburger/hot dog stand for that quick meal at the room or by the pool and the coffee corner for in the morning. We have been to WDW many times and stayed at AKL and would love to stay at DC but have never financially wanted to put out that kind of money. I really like the idea of having bunk beds for the kids and the pools look really nice as well. We have been to DL during the summer months and handled the heat just fine but last year we went to WDW in June and just about died. The humidity really got to us. We will be going to DL again this June.

We've stayed at GCH & DLH and dh and I prefer the GCH hands down. Our kids (5&8) would chose DLH because of the Neverland Pool though. We loved all the details in the DLH room (pixie dust on walls, Mickey soaps & wakeup calls), but we found their staff not quite as friendly as GCH. Our kids loved having a bunkbed in GCH and they always got a kick out of turndown service & chocolates on their nightstand. They loved that there were activities within the hotel (storytimes at the great hearth, scavenger hunt) and we loved how accessible we were to DCA & DL. We'd ride Grizzly River Run a few times and then head to the pool at GCH for the afternoon. If finances allow, dh & I would chose GCH every trip. Ds & dd loved the pools & slides at GCH. They prefer the slides at DLH over GCh because of the theming and the bigger slide at DLH also besause of the waterfalls you pass under.

Lives4Disney said:
That price is rack rate and I do not pay rack rate at WDW, I pay AP rate. Is there any way to get a better deal at the GC?? If I joined AAA, I did go on their website and saw "standard room" category available, but it was same price as on the DL website. They didn't show concierge offered on AAA. :confused3

Lives4Disney :sunny:

It's difficult to get any breaks during the busy summer months. At WDW, in summer season it's often possible to get breaks at WDW because of the weather, but that is not the case at DLR. You probably need to talk to a AAA agent to get quotes for the various options. Do you know anyone with AAA who might be able to request quotes for view rooms, conceirge, etc? Incidentally, you have access to Vacation Planning services without conceirge.

For comparison, I found some of the AAA quotes I got last year for 4 nights, with two 5-day adult park hoppers (same peak season; I don't think resort rates have gone up much, parkhoppers may have gone up a little; all fees and taxes included but no airfare.):

GCH resort view room: $1638
GCH Theme park concierge (+$621)
6 day parkhopper (+10/ea over 5-day)
DLH standard view $1282
DLH resort/pool view $1350
DLH resort view concierge (+$471)
PPH resort std view $1186
PPH resort view $1210
PPH resort view concierge (+$228)
At the time, it seemed AAA was offering the biggest break off of GCH, less of a break off DLH and little, if any, break of PPH).

I can certainly see how WDW would seem more reasonable if you have to pay peak season rack rate at DLR (not to mention having to pay for parkhoppers) versus AP rates during mid season at WDW (with passes already paid for). DLR is very different from WDW, and you will find it is not quite the complete resort package. But there are some great advantages to the weather, and the compactness of DLR over WDW. If you spend most of your time at MK, and possibly MGM, and want milder weather in the summer, you should love DLR and the GCH. You can pop back and forth between DL, DCA, DTD, and your room without ever getting in a car, bus, or ferry, and with a lot less wear and tear on your feet. If you love exploring the lands at Epcot and playing at the waterparks (there are waterparks in Southern California, but they aren't Disney), want to play golf or take advantage of the other water activities, and can tolerate the triple digit heat 12 hours a day and the frequent thunderstorms, stick with WDW.

Lives4Disney Calif premium times to go are in the Summer so you are NOT going to get a rate discount. AAA gives you great benefits and a 15 percent discount off of Disney. I am not sure why Concierge is all that important as Disney Vacation planners can book everything for you for free. I would stay in the GC with a Standard view room and have the vacation planners assist you if needed. The extra cost for the concierge in my opinion is just not needed. You will love the GC. I have been to WDW many times and DLR and GC is my favorite of the hotels hands down. Hope this helps a little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter