Which Disneyland hotel is the best & why???

Lives4Disney

DIS Veteran
Hi, I am a WDW veteran of close to 40 trips, but never been to DL and we are thinking of going over the July 4th holiday (July 1 - July 9). I turn 40, and my husband and daughter both have their bdays on July 1. :sunny: We wanted to do something special (well, I do anyway ;) )

I am not too overly crazy about the look of the GC - It is beautiful, but it reminds me of home (same colors, style etc although my home isn't "Grand"!)

The Disneyland hotel looks kind of cute and fun and Disneyish, but is it deluxe or would I feel like I should have done the GC for a deluxe stay? I would prefer concierge, too at either hotel - anybody love concierge at either (or hate it)?? :confused3

Any comparisons of the GC and DL hotel pools?? My kids are 6, 9, and 15. Good slides at both??

Anybody with some good or awful DL hotel or GC hotel experiences care to share?? I am starting from square one. Got my Birmbaum book and my Unnoficial Guide, too, but I am feeling overwhelmed and of course don't want to make the wrong choice and be disappointed.

AND MOST OF ALL :blush: - Do you think the parks will be so crowded and hot that it will be a bust of a trip and maybe we should just go another time?? I kind of gave up considering WDW for this trip as my husband really does not tolerate heat too well. Any advice is welcome and appreciated. :)

THANKS for sharing!

Lives4Disney :goodvibes

The Grand Californian is a wonderful hotel that compares to the Wilderness Lodge and The Animal Kingdom Lodge. The size of the rooms is the same and they are decorated nicely, but the location is better than any of the WDW hotels in comparison to their parks. We could be from our room at the GC into DCA in a minute to a minute and a half. The walk to Disneyland is a bit longer.
The Disneyland Hotel is a bit more bland as far as architecture and it has some additions that don't really match the towers but the interiors ar really fun and the rooms are generally, much larger than at the GC. There are more Disney references in the DLH rooms than the GC. The pool seems more fun at the DLH with its Neverland theme. The pool at the GC has a Redwood tree theme with a fun enough looking slide. The younger kids probably would like the DLH better.
It will most likely be pretty hot and definately crowded. If you can swing a trip at another time I would recommend it. If not you have enbought time to go to the parks in the morning and evening and enjoy them.

Hot in Southern Cal is more bearable than hot in Florida. We usually don't have the humidity that Florida has, and the temps are usually in the 80's.

I agree with the previous post...if I had my choice in hotels it would definently be GCH first...if I couldn't stay at GCH I would stay at the Paradise Pier...I really like that hotel....I think that the decor is much better than the DL hotel....plus you can take a short cut across the street and through the GCH to get to either DCA or to DL!!! :bounce:

Thanks for the info, guys! :thumbsup2

Yeah, it's that humidity that really gets to me when we have done WDW in August. My husband will not go with us ever again to WDW in summer, so I was hoping CA and DL would be a bit better.

I am still undecided about what to do. :confused3 Is DLH deluxe like the GCH looks?? I would appreciate a larger room as mentioned that the DLH has, but I don't want shabby or run down at all - That bums me out when I feel like I am paying big dollars.

.....And just when I thought I had it narrowed down to two hotels, diznefan throws Paradise Pier into the mix!! ;)

MORE QUESTIONS: Are the 3 hotels easy walking distance from one another?? Does the monorail stop at any of the three hotels?? It looked like (from DL website) the monorail runs right near GCH.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?? Any concierge experiences at the DL hotels???

THANKS!!

Lives4Disney :)

There are only two monorail stops, one in Downtown Disney, and the other is (I think!) Tomorrowland.

I haven't been to DL yet, but a previous post from a person who had concierge at DLH was disappointed, that the stay didn't feel as special as concierge (or even standard room) at GCH. The GCH really does sound "grand"!

We will be staying at DLH because our kids are very young and this is the one most recommended for little ones. We are looking forward to the pool area! If money were no object when the kids are a bit older, I would love to stay at the GCH. :)

I don't think the DLH feels super-deluxe, but it is nice in a different way (more Disneyish), and it is with helpful staff (in my experience). I don't think you would be disappointed staying there - you can get a similar experience to GC at WDW, but nothing else is the DLH. The pool is really fun, and the grounds are beautiful to walk through. The only thing I didn't like was that the lobby of the tower we stayed in needed to be redone badly - it was like the waiting area in an office building from the 70s. I think that was Bonita tower - not sure. The glow in the dark pixie dust on the wallpaper and the mickey touches everyone were fun for our family.

I think its an individual decision, but both hotels are good in their own way. You are paying Disney prices for both - we have stayed in nicer 5 star hotels in other places for less - but then Disneyland wasn't just outside those hotels, either!

Don't have any concierge experience - just never seems worth it to me.

The monorail entrance is a shortish walk from the DLH - it doesn't run right by or into it. The GC is placed so that you don't really need to use the monorail. It is closer to the parks by far than the DLH - but be mindful of where your room is placed. Because of the layout of the hotel, you could actually have as long of a walk to your room in the GC as at the DLH. If being close is really a concern - I think the hotels across the street are actually the closest!

Hope this helps a little.

The monorail runs THROUGH the GC, but does not stop. The monorail at DL, like most everything, is completely different than WDW. The monorail is more an attraction than transportation. It is quicker usually to walk than to take the monorail.

All three hotels are within very close walking distance of everything else, GC being in the middle. Only GC is themed like a WDW resort. I would call DLH and PP deluxe HOTELS, but not like WDW deluxe resorts. But they are very nice. I really enjoyed our stay at DLH!! I've only done 1 night at PP and thought it was great (easy access to DCA and we had a park view), but certain #3. I am doing GC this June, but chose that over DLH only because I have not stayed at GC before. That being said, if I were to give a WDW'er a recommendation, I would go with GC. Certainly no wrong choices.

No experience with concierge.

Hot is relative - better than FL. Crowds is relative too, but the other way. DL will be CROWED. It is smaller, less open space, and has narrower walkways through the lands than WDW. Being a WDW person myself then spending several years at DL it took a day or so to not get claustrophobic in DL on a busy day. But I would not let that sway your decision on going or not, just realize it up front. DCA is wide open and usually not crowded.

Another vote for GC...just can't beat the proximity to the parks! Also, if you get the DD view, you will have a great view of the fireworks.

Wow, you all are so great for taking the time to give me a clue!!! ;)

I really appreciate all the info! :goodvibes I sat and read my UG while my daughter was in dance class and I am getting kind of excited to give DL a try.....I am just so into WDW - that's the real toughy!!

I still don't know which resort I would go with - GC or DLH, but it sounds like if I can swing the $, I should (being the deluxe lover I am ;) ) go with GC. Still, I really like the CR and that DL hotel reminds me a bit of it. But as I said, I don't like rundown at all. Had a bad bad bad room at the CR about a year and a half ago and have not been back. Not until all updates are complete. I like antique and nostalgia, but not shabby. :)

If I do go with a standard room view, not concierge, any certain room location requests I should make at either DLH or GC?? I would love to be able to see fireworks!! The concierge when I priced it out is about 2K more than standard at GC. :guilty: That seems a bit much to me. I have a WDW AP and am used to not paying rack rates. Any ideas how to get discounted DL rooms???

THANKS!!! :)

We have annual passes and have stayed at GCH but for me, I just wasnt all that impressed. For that price, I'd like to have free breakfast or something, but its just a regular room and nothing comes with it. The closeness to the park is nice, but you walk out into Downtown Disney and if I use my free parking and take the tram in, it stops at the same place, Downtown Disney, so it was a place we wanted to try but nowhere we'd stay again.

But I did like the big fireplace downstairs. :wave:

Oh boy, Brutie, you're throwing me off!!! (Just kidding) I do value any honest opinion, though! ;)

Are the rooms pretty good size?? I couldn't find that info in my guide books. I hate smaller hotel rooms. The Poly and CR and GF at WDW are decent size, but I heard the WL is smaller size so I do not try that one.

I will just choke if I am paying that much money and feel uncomfortably tight!!

THANKS!!

I would wholeheartedly and completely suggest
The Disneyland Hotel!!

This is my favorite hotel in the entire world..seriously..I LOVE IT!! There is so much original Disney nostalgia about it, the service impeccable and the most magic is here without a doubt.

I've visited Disneyland at least once every year since I've been alive (except 2005). So I am guesstimating low and saying 35 times. I've stayed @ The DL hotel when the monorail went through the hotel itself and during it's expansion construction. I've also stayed @ PP and GC. Honestly, the only thing I like about GC is the location, other than that, I would not like it at all. I do not like the restaurants at all, the pool and rooms are nice, but I don't feel like I'm at Disneyland at all!

Paradise Pier is simple, has great views, but still has more personality than GC.

If it is your 1st trip to DL, I would suggest you stay @ DL hotel and have your 1st experience there include all the original magic. If you do stay @ DL hotel, we like Sierra tower pool view. You can also suggest the main bldg above the 5th floor to watch fireworks every night. The monorail is also close to Sierra as well as a great little coffee shop and movies.

Hope you have a great trip whichever resort you choose!

I love the Disneyland Hotel and have stayed there five times in the past two and half years. I have never found its rooms or anything else about it to be rundown. Yes, the exterior is somewhat uninteresting but inside it has very nice Disney touches and a touch of class to boot. The staff has always been wonderful. I am staying at GCH this June but am sad that my DH outvoted me on my wish to go back to the DLH. If you like the Contemporary (before and after the room remodels) then I cannot imagine you would not like the DLH. And since it is older, you have the benefit of nice, large rooms. It also has some lovely grounds, not as extensive as say the Poly or WL, but very lovely Koi ponds, fountains and landscaping. And a great pool area. And a great pool bar!

But I also think the GCH would be great, the location alone is worth it (at least thats what my husband keeps telling me :rolleyes: ). But if you don't like the looks of the decor from the pictures, I don't know if you will like it any better in person!

And PP, which you did not mention as a possibility is also a nice hotel. But not as nice as the DLH in my opinion. Again, really nice, large rooms, beach themed, but not as many Disney touches. Also, no grounds to speak of and a bit further to walk. If you should stay there, upgrade to a theme park view, it is so worth it. I think we paid less than $25 a night for that upgrade last September. I don't think their pool can compare to the DLH's, even with the new slide.

Good luck with your decision!

I'm a GCH fan for the style and location, but I suspect for you and your family, the DLH would be the best choice. It's a little like the CR; it's a little old, but very festive and the most Disney themed. The rooms are bigger than GCH, and being adjacent to DTD and the monorail, it still feels close to everything. Goofy's Kitchen offers character dining all day long, and IMO, offers the best overall character meal. Goofy also hangs around the lobby often. The pool at DLH is also the most themed and festive. The Marina Tower offers some standard rooms from which you may be able to see fireworks. Some view rooms in the Sierra Tower give you views of fireworks and DTD. The Sierra Tower is the closest to DL, DTD, and DCA. The Bonita Tower is the furthest from the action, but you can also see fireworks from many of the view rooms there. It's usually easier to book at the DLH also since it has the most rooms.

Compared to WDW in August, DL in summer should seem mild. It does indeed get hot in the middle of the day, but no humidity or thunderstorms. The mornings and evenings are typically very pleasant; it doesn't usually get really hot until midday. I recommend taking breaks midday when the crowds are heaviest anyway.

Since you are planning to stay onsight anyway, consider booking through AAA. If you book a package with parkhoppers and an onsight stay through AAA, you'll get an Enhanced FP -- a terrific benefit during the busy summer season.

Brutie said:
We have annual passes and have stayed at GCH but for me, I just wasnt all that impressed. For that price, I'd like to have free breakfast or something, but its just a regular room and nothing comes with it. The closeness to the park is nice, but you walk out into Downtown Disney and if I use my free parking and take the tram in, it stops at the same place, Downtown Disney, so it was a place we wanted to try but nowhere we'd stay again.

But I did like the big fireplace downstairs. :wave:

I don't agree that it's just a regular room and nothing comes with it. We just got back from our stay at the GCH and we adored all of the extras that came with it. There is nightly turn down, and my oldest son swears that it was Chip and Dale leaving those chocolates on his pillow every night. We looked out our window into CA, I knew I could be in that park in 2 minutes. PRICELESS! Every night they left a list of activities for the next day. We completed and won the Grand Quest (a scavenger hunt) and were named the Grand Family of the Day. It was a delightful ceremony that I'll always remember. This won us a night of storytelling in the concierge lounge in jammies that was a blast! One day we were there it was very rainy, and they had Chip, Dale, Kenai, and Koda in the lobby for us to play with. There were only a handful of other children, and the one on one time with the characters was wonderful. My 11 month old got probably 10 minutes to cuddle with Koda while he gave him kisses. There were other activities that sounded fabulous, like a walk in CA before they opened, that we didn't do. I LOVED the extras at the GCH. On our last day I very honestly asked my husband, "If we just didn't leave, how long do you think it would take them to kick us out?" :blush:

I have stayed at all three hotels and have to say that when we go back in October we will definitely be at the GCH. I love DLH also, but I think it is easier on my kids, plus we are doing Mickey's Halloween Treat at DCA and that will make it very convenient.

I must say that I find doing Disneyland much easier than WDW. You have the Vacation Planners (though we lost the best one ever a few days ago) and you don't have to stay concierge to use their services. I was able to book everything through them with no waking up early to call for reservations. I am a Disneyland convert and probably always will be from here on out. If you like Deluxe then definitely GCH will be the best. My first stay at GCH was just with my husband and we were blown away. We decided on the second trip to let the kids decide which they would rather stay at. They chose DLH and Paradise Pier so we were there long enough that we did both. When we walked through GCH they were mesmerized. They loved it. We went and sat by the roaring fire (which might not seem like a draw in July, but the evenings still get very cool) and it was so much fun. Also, if you stay at GCH on certain days you can get in early to ride Soarin! That by itself is worth every penny. Other posters are not kidding when they say that you are in the park in one minute. You literally go down the elevator and around the corner and there you are so cool! Can't wait for October!

THANKS all!! I am definitely leaning towards GCH and that AAA package with the enhanced fastpass option sounds awesome! I don't have AAA, but would be willing to join. Are the rooms still at rack rate with a AAA package??

Meandthree - WHAT is a vacation planner??? :confused3 That sounds exactly like what I would really be wanting concierge for!!?? Just because I am so clueless about DL and really don't want to miss something - not get ADRs done in time, or something like that...Especially don't wan't to be left out in the cold for a neat place to eat on my daughter's bday. :sad2: that kind of stuff!!

I love hearing all the info you all have to give. Really appreciate it. :) It is better than what I get from my books, too!

I too go to DL at least once every year. I have stayed in all 3. Reg rooms and concierge. My reasons for all
My evalutions

3rd choice--PP, is cheaper, a walk across the street, and into your own special walk way into DCA. It is my least favorite Hotel. I have stayed there maybe 5 times. Concierge was okay, we haven't done concierge there in quite a few years, but unless they changed the location of it, I didn't like it.
2nd choice-- DH. Pool is great. Goofys kitchen is close and very good. Hooks Pointe is good. The rooms are nice size. The Sierra tower, and Marina tower upper rooms are wonderful. We have done the concierge lounge many times there. You overlook DTD, I think you can see the fireworks from up there, but we are usually the parks at that time. Monorail is a short walk, you do have a 5-10 minute walk to the parks, but it is wonderful strolling along DTD and seeing the stores. We have stayed at DH most often because of the price.WE love getting the beignets at one of the locations along the way. We eat them for breakfast.
OUR favorite--- Grand Californian. It is great in our opinion. The regular rooms are nice, but the suites are great. WE have stayed in the 1, 2 and 3 bedroom suites before, spliting it with several families and wow, that is great. Concierge lounge is very nice. Storytellers cafe is there for breakfast, or lunch or dinner. Pretty good food. But the walk right into DCA from right inside the hotel is wonderful. My parents love it there for the short walk. The pool there is nice, we really don't swim much.
The weather, is HOT. Much better than the humidity at WDW, but still it is hot. Would I recommend another time of year to go,... YES.. WE did January this year and it was good.Some rides may be closed tho at that time. We have done September, Nov, Feb, WE went a couple of years ago, in Aug, it was hot and crowded I prefer fall, or winter, or very early spring. Hope this helps a bit long I know, but I LOVE DL, and I could go on and on.....BTW, I think you said, Your DH and DD B/Day was July 1 ??? So is mine

Vacation planning dept. is available to anyone staying on the three properties. All you have to do is call them and they will make all of your reservations for you (fantasmic buffet, ADR, etc.). :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter