• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Disney resort this December?

GaryDis

DIS Veteran
We’ve decided to splurge and stay at one of the Disney hotels at Disneyland this December, probably the second weekend. It’s sort of a bucket list item, as it’s just the two of us, seniors who can no longer ride most thrill rides, and we’ve been there before. So atmosphere and convenience are the main interests, especially since it’s holiday season. (A Hanukkah event would be a plus.). We expect one day in each of the parks, and one more day to go to Universal.

So PP, GCH or DLH? I’m seeing about a $200 difference in prices between DLH and GCH for most of the days I’ve checked, which we could handle but don’t want to feel like we wasted it. Or would club level at PP or DLH be better than regular at GCH. (I don’t really know anything about club level, if it’s even worth it.)

(I’ve looked at some similar past threads, but they seem loaded by last year’s construction. This year’s construction may be different. )

Last edited:
If you’re looking for atmosphere and convenience, GCH by far! The holiday decorations are beautiful, as is the lobby. DLH also has some decorations, but IIRC not as much as GCH. While CL at PPH has yet to be reopened, at DLH it gives you wonderful views of the fireworks and the resort. PPH, I believe, is tucked away in the back corner of the hotel on a lower floor, so you don’t really get any good high views, but anyone correct me if I’m wrong!

I would definitely recommend GCH for the Christmas season. It's just amazing! I go every year during the holidays and it's my absolute favorite time to go. As remyivisitsDLR said, the lobby is just beautiful with the giant tree, Christmas piano music (sometimes with a live player, sometimes not), blazing fire, large Gingerbread GCH, Christmas treats, and special appearances every day by carolers & bell ringers. You can also get a picture with Santa under the big lobby tree. Right off the lobby is the Hearthstone Lounge that is nicely decorated and also has its own fireplace. It's a great place for a seasonal beverage and/or snack.

On the 3rd floor there is another smaller lobby that overlooks the grand lobby. It's a really nice place to hang out, also, and quieter.

There's nothing like being right in the middle of the action, too. It's very easy to get to almost everything at DLR.

I'd go with the Grand since it's the Holiday season. It's decorated beautifully.

Club level is pretty nice and a great treat if you're looking to splurge. You have access to the lounge all day, which has appetizers, snacks and drinks. It's super convenient and we liked the food they served.

But..the Grand has so many nice restaurants, you'd easily be able to mobile order if you wanted to. At DLH there aren't as many food options so I especially appreciated the club, but I don't think it's as much of an issue at the Grand.

We’ve decided to splurge and stay at one of the Disney hotels at Disneyland this December, probably the second weekend. It’s sort of a bucket list item, as it’s just the two of us, seniors who can no longer ride most thrill rides, and we’ve been there before. So atmosphere and convenience are the main interests, especially since it’s holiday season. (A Hanukkah event would be a plus.). We expect one day in each of the parks, and one more day to go to Universal.

So PP, GCH or DLH? I’m seeing about a $200 difference in prices between DLH and GCH for most of the days I’ve checked, which we could handle but don’t want to feel like we wasted it. Or would club level at PP or DLH be better than regular at GCH. (I don’t really know anything about club level, if it’s even worth it.)

(I’ve looked at some similar past threads, but they seem loaded by last year’s construction. This year’s construction may be different. )
I heard the words “splurge, bucket list, atmosphere, and convince”. If ranking numerical 1-3 (VGC, DLH, PP), Grand Californian is likely always #1 in each category but at worst #2. The $200 extra per night would be worth it for a bucket list stay.

Good luck.

Last edited:
100% for the Grand. We have stayed at all 3 but have now decided that for us, it’s the Grand or nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter