Which day is less crowded for Magic Kingdom?

molangtsum

Earning My Ears
I was thinking of going MK on a Monday but I read online that some blogger recommended not going MK on Mondays and to go in the middle of the week for a less crowded MK.

I thought it will generally be less crowded on weekdays so I planned MK on Monday, but after reading that blog, I begin to wonder...

Appreciate any advice!!

-- First-timer WDW goer

If you are headed during the fall party season when MNSSHP and MVMCP are happening - then I think the day of the week you pick for MK matters. Those party days, especially paired with EMH, do impact traffic flow and how to make the most of your trip plans.

Otherwise - every day is "busy." I plan my park days around other factors - park hours, EMH, when I can get an ADR or FP I want, our arrival and departure day plans, what's new in the parks to us, where my traveling companions want to spend more time, etc. We love to start a trip at MK. But if that's going to be a short day due to flight arrival times and its a short trip, it will probably be a different park.

For a first-timer - I'd focus most on how many days, how much time in each park, and what are your groups interests/must see's.

Reactions: Iya

Conventional wisdom is to not go on Mon or Sat. I took a look at historical crowd levels and sometimes Mon MK is indeed the busiest park that day but not always. But in general the parks are less busy Tues to Thurs. But again nothing is a sure bet. If you have other reasons to have MK on Mon I'd go with it. If you picked it only to have lower crowds and you don't run into ADR or FF problems then I'd probably pick a different T, W, Th day. W typical has EMH so that's something to be aware of too. Again, not a guarantee of crowds but more likely perhaps (again conventional wisdom says stay away from them).

I think the biggest reason MK might be busier on a Monday, is because so many think that's the perfect kickoff to thier Disney week. Like, it's not "Disney" till we see the castle. But I like to zig when everyone else zags.

Conventional wisdom is to not go on Mon or Sat. I took a look at historical crowd levels and sometimes Mon MK is indeed the busiest park that day but not always. But in general the parks are less busy Tues to Thurs. But again nothing is a sure bet. If you have other reasons to have MK on Mon I'd go with it. If you picked it only to have lower crowds and you don't run into ADR or FF problems then I'd probably pick a different T, W, Th day. W typical has EMH so that's something to be aware of too. Again, not a guarantee of crowds but more likely perhaps (again conventional wisdom says stay away from them).

Thank you so much for your detailed analysis! I didn't know about historical crowd levels until you mentioned it.. About EMH, I was excited about going on that day but I saw that the FP for SDMT were all gone, so I was thinking many people must have planned to go on W to use the EMH so maybe I should skip W..

I just looked through some crowd level websites and saw that they have similar recommendations but if people go by their recommendations then it will turn out that the recommendations have worse crowds..... :confused3

Typically, Sundays have historically been less crowded. For us, we start mk on a sunday.

I think Tuesday is a lighter crowd day at the Magic Kingdom since it’s PM EMH at Epcot, and people without park hoppers go there.

Wednesday is PM EMH at MK so that’s def not the day midweek you want to go to the MK.

If you were going to October and wanted to go to Magic Kingdom on a non-party day, would you choose Monday or Wednesday? Or does it matter?

A lot of people are either arriving or departing on a Sunday( not always, but a lot) so Sunday is less busy at MK even tho it’s a “weekend” and Monday is generally busier because those that arrive on Sunday, like to kick off their week with MK on Monday. Just my 2 cents ;)

If you were going to October and wanted to go to Magic Kingdom on a non-party day, would you choose Monday or Wednesday? Or does it matter?
If you are going to just the party, then it doesn’t matter... also, party days are less busy because people with base tickets don’t want to be “kicked out” before the party and miss fireworks... so I think either Monday or Wednesday would be fine, maybe with Wednesday being a little less crowded

ETA: totally misread your question, I thought you were asking which day to ATTEND a party.... I would still go with Wednesday for a non party MK day.

Last edited:
The party days are Friday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. We don’t have tickets to party. We want to go either Monday or Wednesday to see the fireworks. So it’s seems like we will try for Wednesday.

W typical has EMH so that's something to be aware of too. Again, not a guarantee of crowds but more likely perhaps (again conventional wisdom says stay away from them).
Is Wed the typical EMH night for MK? The week we are going has evening EMH on Monday and morning EMH on Friday.

I picked Wed for our main day at MK.

I agree with the Tuesday & Thursday consensus.

We don't mind waiting and usually do MK as our trip end rather than beginning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter