Which cruise would you pick?

foolish-mortal

Your ghost host
I'd love some help choosing a trip with my mom, sister and sister-in-law. I've been on a few DCL cruises. The others have been on lots of cruises before, but never DCL. So, this will be everyone's first. I want them to have a great experience. They all love Disney.

We are limited to a 3 night due to work schedules. We just want a fun, relaxing few days. The ship is a big part of the enjoyment to me. Here are our 2 options:

-January, 3 night to Nassau and CC, on the Wish out of PC
-April, 3 night to Nassau and CC, on the Dream out of FLL

If both are fine price-wise, which would you choose? I've never been on the Wish. I absolutely love the other ships and I'm a little hesitant to try the Wish just based on the reviews. I like sailing out of PC. Not sure which to choose. Would love to hear which your opinions!

I'd love some help choosing a trip with my mom, sister and sister-in-law. I've been on a few DCL cruises. The others have been on lots of cruises before, but never DCL. So, this will be everyone's first. I want them to have a great experience. They all love Disney.

We are limited to a 3 night due to work schedules. We just want a fun, relaxing few days. The ship is a big part of the enjoyment to me. Here are our 2 options:

If both are fine price-wise, which would you choose? I've never been on the Wish. I absolutely love the other ships and I'm a little hesitant to try the Wish just based on the reviews. I like sailing out of PC. Not sure which to choose. Would love to hear which your opinions!
Dream. Absolutely no question.

We fly, and MCO is nonstop while FLL requires a layover, so that would default us into the Wish.

But if that's not a concern, I would be inclined to do the Dream?

Don’t base your trip on other people’s reviews, go and experience it for yourself! Go in with an open mind and know that the Wish will be a new experience for you.
I was part of the Inaugural Cast on the Wish and I loved it!

If a 3 night cruise was my only option (not gonna happen), and the price difference is negligible, in spite of not really wanting to do the Wish, I would pick the Wish. Only because I can stand it for 3 nights and then have the Wish under my belt.

Yes, I'm not sure how I'd like the Wish, but I've got to give it a try and make my own decision about it.

We have been on the dream. The kids play area is bigger vs the Wish but we want to experience the Wish in the future (new shows, Frozen dining show). Nassau is a skip. If you can do a double dip at Castaway Cay that would be awesome.

We did a 7 night eastern Carribean Fantasy cruise spring break and couldn’t resist booking the western Carribean for next spring break. The more I research things, the Eastern had better and safer ports.

Also, I believe the weather is better in April vs Jan, so if swimming is a priority, Dream would be my choice (even in April we had strong winds for Aqua duck (dangerous waiting in wet clothes on the stairs) and felt cold in the evenings, although coffee and hot chocolate were readily available.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...wondering-about-castaway-cay-weather.3839060/

It looks like just adults going? If so, I’d say do the Dream. It’s my wife and I favorite ship. If you like being by the pool the Dream offers the adult pool but also satellite falls. There is nothing like satellite falls on the Wish. The Dream is MUCH better for spending time outside on the top decks. It also has the walking path on deck 4 outside which the Wish does not have.

If you want to spend time in the spa or at the bars then I’d recommend the Wish. The Wish spa is insanely nice in comparison. The Wish has a lot of bar options too. If you are going concierge then definitely the wish. It’s more tailored to concierge than the older ships. The adult pool at the back of the ship on the Wish is a cluster….and to me is the complete opposite of relaxing.

The wish, we loved it so much. Will have to go back because we were on a 4 night and still didn’t see everything.

I prefer the Dream over the Wish, but part of my decision would be ease of flying to MCO vs. FLL. If the departure port isn't really a factor, I would do the Dream. I found the Wish to be very confusing and crowded. The Dream is much more relaxing, IMHO, and has the better nighttime shows.

I'm on record that I'm not particularly a fan of the Wish, and my family has had two great trips on the Dream. So if it were ME, it's a simple choice to pick the Dream. That said, I would suggest you build a pros & cons list as (for Disney) the two ships are fairly different. It could be that the Wish fits your needs, and to be clear it wasn't a "bad" time or a "bad" ship. It just happens to be my family's least favorite ship for the reasons I suspect you've read elsewhere.

We have been on the Dream 3 times and the Wish once. like you, I read Wish reviews and was so afraid I would hate it. Almost didn’t try it out solely based on reviews which would have been wrong since I loved it. DH, myself and DD10 preferred the Wish over the Dream as far as ship but like longer cruises on the Dream. We liked the bars on the Wish much better, we liked how they were spread out instead of in one dark corner on the Dream. Palo for dinner was better on the Wish to us. The Rose bar next to Palo is beautiful with great sea views and never busy when we went two separate times. Quiet Cove pool was definitely smaller than the Dream so we didn’t like it as much compared to the Dream, but when we went on the Wish there were maybe 4 other people in there so it was still great. I would pick the Wish for your cruise.

Hands down April. Either boat would be fine granted but the time of year on this one. April won’t be as cold and windy on deck and water at CC. April. That was easy. *wink*

When in April? You may run into the spring break crowd if it's early April...my kids are off 3/30-4/8.

I like to try new menus and see new shows, so the Wish would be appealing for that reason.

Try something new, and go with the Wish. Your travel companions have no basis for comparison and y'all can all explore and discover the ship together!

Disclaimer-I've been on all 5 and while the Magic is my favorite, followed by the Wonder, the Wish slots in at third...then the Dream/Fantasy, so I'm a bit of an outlier. That said, I'm always happy to be onboard DCL 💜

I seem to remember that January is the month when it’s most difficult to dock at Castaway Cay. It can always happen that winds are too strong, but it seems to happen more frequently in January.

So my 3 family members just weighed in that January works a lot better for their calendars than April. I have to admit that I'm really sad and worried now. I feel like all the things I LOVE about DCL are going to be so different on the Wish. They're not going to get to experience what I love about it.

We are not into characters, princesses or dinner shows. Those things are fine! But not what we enjoy about Disney. I love walking around Deck 4, eating the MDRs, Cabanas in the morning, swimming in the adult areas, and having drinks in the adult lounges at night.

So many of those things are different on the Wish from what I've read. It really seems geared towards characters and shows. All I can envision is tables close together, characters singing over my meal, and trying to get a reservation in a lounge (unsuccessfully) to have a drink in the evening. I talked them into this cruise and now I feel like I'm trying to talk them out of it since The Wish is what we'll be on if we decide to do it. Help!!??

So my 3 family members just weighed in that January works a lot better for their calendars than April. I have to admit that I'm really sad and worried now. I feel like all the things I LOVE about DCL are going to be so different on the Wish. They're not going to get to experience what I love about it.

We are not into characters, princesses or dinner shows. Those things are fine! But not what we enjoy about Disney. I love walking around Deck 4, eating the MDRs, Cabanas in the morning, swimming in the adult areas, and having drinks in the adult lounges at night.

So many of those things are different on the Wish from what I've read. It really seems geared towards characters and shows. All I can envision is tables close together, characters singing over my meal, and trying to get a reservation in a lounge (unsuccessfully) to have a drink in the evening. I talked them into this cruise and now I feel like I'm trying to talk them out of it since The Wish is what we'll be on if we decide to do it. Help!!??
I don’t think I’d stress about it too much. Sounds like you are placing the burden of their enjoyment on your shoulders. The Wish is fine. Keep an open mind. We too have sailed them all, ignored the Wish negative reviews and glad we did. Be open minded. I would concern myself less over the boat as the time of year. I would think if you had an argument it would be weather, cold water/wind, etc. on why April may be a better time. I really wish you wouldn’t stress over the bOat. I’m a firm believer you should experience it yourself. It’s gorgeous. All the boats are different in their own ways and it has things to offer others do not. Relax. Either way, commit one way or another and go into with an open mind. That’s the best advice I can give you. I’m afraid your biggest regret will be time of year you choose to go, not the boat, etc.

I don't believe they're doing reservations for the lounges, it was just Hyperspace when the Wish was brand new.

Is the January one a holiday weekend? If not, then it won't be as crowded as school breaks.

Try to look at the good aspects, new theater shows, new restaurants/menus, etc. Also, the buffet and quick service are supposedly better than the other ships...

The thing about message boards is that more people are willing to share things they don’t like than things they do, and it is an extremely tiny cross-section of the amount of people who have been on the Wish.
I was onboard the Wish for months. And I guarantee that people did not leave their vacation angry and sad. Yes, there are differences from the other ships, but you can still do all of those things that you love. Try to relax, and try not to stress your friends out lol.
Again, I have sailed on ships at all times of the year. January is a little colder, but I have still been swimming etc. it is just not quite as warm as some other times of the year. If you can only sail at this time, then embrace that and plan things you can do instead if you do not want to swim.
In the end, you are going on vacation on a Disney ship. You will still have a great time! If you have any questions, feel free to pm me

you sound like me! It sounds like you are letting negative opinions cloud your vacation before you even take it (which I was doing as well). You don’t need reservations for any lounges. We never had any issue getting a table in a lounge. We were in Hyperspace one afternoon and there were a total of 2 other tables occupied. Had several stops at the Bayou and the only time it was crowded was for Name that Tune trivia—get there 20 minutes early and it’s fine. The Rose lounge was so easy to get a spot maybe 1/2 full each time we went.

1923 has no show. The Marvel show is kind of like Animators palate—screen based so about as intrusive as Animators—-but Spider-Man walks around at the very end. Maybe do Palo if you want to skip Arendalle or Marvel or request a quiet table on the app beforehand. Yes the tables are close together in some spots, but I see that on other ships as well.

Instead of walking deck 4 walk forward on deck 6 and do a “Im the King of the World“ Titanic moment. There’s still shuffleboard and loungers out, it’s just not a full circle like the others. And even the full circle on the Dream had you going through basically maintenance halls in some spots so it’s not like it was all ocean views all the time.

It is a beautiful ship. It’s different but that’s not always bad. There are some things I liked better and some things I didn’t like as well. We only went to one show (Little Mermaid), it rained all day on our both Nassau and Castaway stop, and we didn’t meet a single character. Still had fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter