Which Credit card?

fostrmom2mny

DIS Veteran
OK, I get about ten to twenty credit card apps in the mail each week. Many are preapproved. Years ago my credit rating stunk!! But for the last ten years or so, it has been A-1. Since all those years ago when I had credit problems, I have refrained from owning a credit card. With my trip to WDW coming up in Nov. I know that I'll need one for at least the purchase of our airline tickets. The card will only be used for the trip. And paid in full as soon as we get the bill. I need help deciding which card would be the best under these circumstances. I know that Disney has a card, but would it help me with air travel. My bank has offered me a preapproved $20,000 limit VISA card when I got my debit card. Help!

If you don't plan on carrying a balance...look for a card with a rewards program. We used our toysrus card last year and got a $20.00 gift certificate. We use our freq. flyer card until we get enough points for free airfare and then switch to the other one. Everyone is offering some kind of points/rewards these days. But watch the interest rate if you plan on carrying a balance. Also look for one with NO annual fee.

There is no question about it DISCOVER CARD!!!!! Hands down. Can't beat the cash back bonus. Wondeful representatives a great company all the way around.

If you only want it for your Disney trip I'd look into American Express. I believe you get a 10 to 15% discount at Downtown Disney with AE and a few other perks like that.

State Farm Bank just started offering a VISA that gives you 1% back, but you have to apply it to your State Farm Insurance premium or deposit it in one of their bank accounts. We have the GM card to earn a rebate on our car. I think the other car makers have them too. If you do any of the reward programs, you might check them to see what kind of offers they have. Something else to consider is one of the cards that is offering 0% for a few months. Read the fine print carefully, but you might be able to get a few months interest free to pay off your charges.

By the way, if you are tired of getting all those offers in the mail, there is a way to stop them. Look at the fine print at the bottom of one of the offers. There will be some addresses for the credit bureaus that you can write to and tell them not to sell your information. When you write, tell them not to sell your information ever. It works. Between DH and I, we used to get several a day. Now we get one or two a week. It's wonderful.

If you're only getting one card, get a VISA or MasterCard. AMEX and Discover (I have both) aren't as widely accepted.

I learned the hard way that the American Express 15% merchandise discount at DD is ONLY for guests of WDW-owned resorts. I couldn't get that as a Dolphin guest.

As the resident queen of Credit Card managment I would advise the American Express. You get some type of travel insurance when you purchase your airline ticket with them. You get a discount with some of your meals at the resort and a discount for water mice at the resorts too. I don't go for the cash back bonus, 1% of $2500 isn't enough of an incentive for me I usually would just donate that money to whatever charity the Discover Card is donating to that year. If you have an AM EX you get free travelers checks at the bank.

I used the Amazon next card. It gives you 2% back for your purchases. You have to use the rebate to get certificates from amazon that you use for purchases at their site. I buy a lot of cd's, dvd's, and computer stuff so this works out good for me. Last year I had a couple of hundred bucks credit at their site that I used to buy a lot of Christmas gifts for the kids.

Most platinum cards will provide travel protection such as insurance if the plane crashes with ticket purchases. Check your disclosures on the card you get. You may also on platinum's get the extended warranty, theft, etc coverage. I have never used it but could be beneficial in certain occurences.

Also, watch out for super low rate cards. Make sure they have a grace period. One of the "new" ways of making money is to have a two-cycle average balance billing. In other words, you get no "free" grace period without interest.

We use the Mypoints Visa, however, it now has a $19.95 fee. With my useage though, it would have paid for the fee (n/a when I got it) in about 1 1/2 months. I like that because I can view/pay online. GM card kept "losing" my payments for a day or two, even when sent well in advance and I would get late fees. I finally blew my top and cancelled it.

Bankrate.com allows you to filter out various offerings by what you want in a card. Low interest rate, annual fee, low teaser rate, etc. This was how I found Nextcard a couple of years ago before they became popular.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/BRM_ccSEARCH.ASP

Stay away from those that are always mentioned on 20/20 & 60 Minutes (MBNA, First USA, etc.) and you'll be much happier.

WARNING!!!!!

DISNEY DOESN"T ACCEPT DISCOVER CARDS. I don't know why, but it's not accepted at the World. AmEx is the preferred "WHITE GLOVE" card of WDW. So I would probably go with that or Visa.

Have a GREAT trip!!!
:)

You get some type of travel insurance when you purchase your airline ticket with them. You get a discount with some of your meals at the resort and a discount for water mice at the resorts too.

Okay, Denise, you've got me scared now. What exactly is a water mouse??

if you have a visa gold or mastercard gold card they also give the trip insurance and insurance if the airline loses your bag as well. and a godl card also provides the extra car insurance for your rental for what your own car insurance doesn't cover. there are many perks to a gold card.
did you know that AX has the highest fraud rate of any card? and they also charge a high amount to have the card as well. your best bet is to pick one with the lowest long term interest rate and with the lowest fee to have the card per year. if you want one with rewards onit check to see which one has the one that you would utilize the most. an airline mileage card or toys r us(might come in handy at xmas time) or the amazon one or one that builds up hotel points? there are so many these days....also if you belong to a credit union check and see what they ahve. sometimes they offer the loweest interest ratio and their fee to ahve the card is low too. you might not get a gift certificate to anything but in the end you will pay less for using it.

Last year, I was bummed that Disney didn't accept Discover - NOW THEY DO!!!

And the cash back on a $3,000 vacation helps, a lot!

Plus Discover has some deals with Universal. Check them out.

I'm finding less and less merchants are accepting American Express due to the high fees that AmEx charges the vendor.

READ - DISNEY DOES ACCEPT DISCOVER :)

Just to let everyone know. WDW does accept the DISCOVER CARD. They have accepted it since March of 2000. Believe me I know becasue I work for DISCOVER, and I used my card during our trip Christmas 2000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter