Which Club level- Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian?

Pluto468

DIS Veteran
I hope this hasn't been asked recently and I missed it.

I'm doing 2 club level nights. I have a standard room booked at Grand Californian and a Premium room booked at Disneyland Hotel. Any recent experience with club level, and is there a reason to choose one over the other?

I'm tempted to to DLH because of the waffles, but I've never stayed at GCH and it might be neat to try it. GCH is about $100 more a night.

OR...I could skip club level altogether and spend the extra money on character dining or something. I was already planning on World Of Color Dessert party and will still do that :)

Last edited:
We’ve done both recently and much prefer the offerings at the Grand. We especially loved the coffee options and the tea time treats. Also, maybe it was just the time of year we went (September for Grand, February for DLH) but the lounge at DLH was slammed in the mornings, we rarely found seats for the 3 of us.

Depending on how many people are in your party and your budget allowing, I’d pick the Grand.

I'm tempted to to DLH because of the waffles, but I've never stayed at GCH and it might be neat to try it. GCH is about $100 more a night.
For $100 a night difference, RUN don't walk to book the GCH. It provides a far superior experience overall.

Grand, hands down. I mean, I love the DLH club level lounge, but for $100/night more, the GCH provides a FAR better overall resort experience, especially now with the construction happening at the DLH and the lack of dining there.

You can get some pretty great waffles at the Craftsman Grill. They aren't Mickey shaped, but they are FAR superior in quality/taste/presentation.

Yikes! This thread is making me nervous. We are going to DL for the first time ever. I've been a couple times but not my family, and I've never stayed on site. We are staying for 3 nights in mid-June. I picked the DLH because it felt like the quintessential nostalgic experience. I love Disney history and loved the theming of the hotel. We are staying CL just to "plus" the stay a little more and we love the convenience of the lounges. In case I'm not being obvious enough, this is the cue for confirmation that the DLH is a great choice for a first timer and is beloved! :earsboy:

We stayed at the GCH for the first time in early March. Absolutely loved the club level offerings. We never had trouble finding a table, and could not recommend it highly enough.

Yikes! This thread is making me nervous. We are going to DL for the first time ever. I've been a couple times but not my family, and I've never stayed on site. We are staying for 3 nights in mid-June. I picked the DLH because it felt like the quintessential nostalgic experience. I love Disney history and loved the theming of the hotel. We are staying CL just to "plus" the stay a little more and we love the convenience of the lounges. In case I'm not being obvious enough, this is the cue for confirmation that the DLH is a great choice for a first timer and is beloved! :earsboy:
You are staying in exactly the right place and will have a wonderful time :)

The DLH is fine. There WILL be loud construction by the pool which may impact your pool time. As long as you know that, and also know that the only full service restaurant on site is a character dining experience, you should be happy with your stay overall. Having the Club Lounge for food will help. I'll be there in 2 weeks for a couple nights. I got a great price on the room, so those inconveniences won't bother me. However, I'd have a hard time paying full price. I hope you got a discount of some sort!

We've been lucky enough to stay at GCH (DTD view, last November) but, this trip have booked DLH Premium DTD view. I'm really, really excited about the full-on vintage Disney vibe I see online. Can't wait to experience it in person.

I'd like to say, though, that I really don't understand the comments about the "lack" of restaurants at DLH. We loved the GCH Craftsman Bar - drinks and food - and will be crossing the street to enjoy it again. We're looking forward to adding a new favourite DLH spot - Trader Sams/Tangaroa Terrace. And - maybe a few places in DTD and the parks. ALL within very easy strolling distance so, what's up with the slightly negative comments re: DLH dining when it's so easy to just cross the street?

Oh, and, haven't stayed club level at GCH and didn't choose to at DLH but, I DID price both out and, in my case, for our dates (November 10-14), GCH Club was substantially - 36% - higher than DLH Club level (per night 1360 GCH/1000 DLH). Which tempted me NO end to book club at DLH but, I'm happy sticking with the DTD Premium View and spending the $1,200 savings on a splurgy break-day trip to Universal Studios (private shuttle + Express Passes).

Last edited:
I hope this hasn't been asked recently and I missed it.

I'm doing 2 club level nights. I have a standard room booked at Grand Californian and a Premium room booked at Disneyland Hotel. Any recent experience with club level, and is there a reason to choose one over the other?

OR...I could skip club level altogether and spend the extra money on character dining or something. I was already planning on World Of Color Dessert party and will still do that :)
Just FYI, we stayed club level at DLH a few weeks ago and they didn’t serve waffles.

We've been lucky enough to stay at GCH (DTD view, last November) but, this trip have booked DLH Premium DTD view. I'm really, really excited about the full-on vintage Disney vibe I see online. Can't wait to experience it in person.

I'd like to say, though, that I really don't understand the comments about the "lack" of restaurants at DLH. We loved the GCH Craftsman Bar - drinks and food - and will be crossing the street to enjoy it again. We're looking forward to adding a new favourite DLH spot - Trader Sams/Tangaroa Terrace. And - maybe a few places in DTD and the parks. ALL within very easy strolling distance so, what's up with the slightly negative comments re: DLH dining when it's so easy to just cross the street?

Oh, and, haven't stayed club level at GCH and didn't choose to at DLH but, I DID price both out and, in my case, for our dates (November 10-14), GCH Club was substantially - 36% - higher than DLH Club level (per night 1360 GCH/1000 DLH). Which tempted me NO end to book club at DLH but, I'm happy sticking with the DTD Premium View and spending the $1,200 savings on a splurgy break-day trip to Universal Studios (private shuttle + Express Passes).

For us, its because we have picky autistic kids who are old enough to go back to the room themselves while we finish up a meal or drinks in one of the lounges, but not quite ready to be navigating DtD on their own, and its nice when you have late night onsite options like Hearthstone Lounge, where you can have a meal or some great desserts and drinks and then just send the kids up to the room when they are done, so they can start getting ready for bed. In addition, I like that we can have a nice breakfast at the hotel and not have to bring all our park stuff with us, just running back up to the room afterwards to grab it.

My main beef with the DLH dining options right now is the heavy handed "Asian inspired" theme to almost all the food at Tangaroa Terrace, for every meal. You can't get a basic breakfast, lunch or dinner there. They don't even have regular fries or things like a grilled cheese, pizza, or hot dogs. You can't get a basic cheeseburger with American cheese on it. This is a deal breaker for out family. It's annoying to be poolside and have NO food items your kids would eat. When looking at the breakfast and lunch/dinner menus, there is very little variety. There are numerous options at GCH, so it's just more convenient.

For us, its because we have picky autistic kids who are old enough to go back to the room themselves while we finish up a meal or drinks in one of the lounges, but not quite ready to be navigating DtD on their own, and its nice when you have late night onsite options like Hearthstone Lounge, where you can have a meal or some great desserts and drinks and then just send the kids up to the room when they are done, so they can start getting ready for bed. In addition, I like that we can have a nice breakfast at the hotel and not have to bring all our park stuff with us, just running back up to the room afterwards to grab it.

My main beef with the DLH dining options right now is the heavy handed "Asian inspired" theme to almost all the food at Tangaroa Terrace, for every meal. You can't get a basic breakfast, lunch or dinner there. They don't even have regular fries or things like a grilled cheese, pizza, or hot dogs. You can't get a basic cheeseburger with American cheese on it. This is a deal breaker for out family. It's annoying to be poolside and have NO food items your kids would eat. When looking at the breakfast and lunch/dinner menus, there is very little variety. There are numerous options at GCH, so it's just more convenient.
They do serve chicken fingers at the pool now, but still no regular French fries. Luckily my family likes sweet potato fries, but I do have a very picky teenager who only wanted chicken fingers.

They do serve chicken fingers at the pool now, but still no regular French fries. Luckily my family likes sweet potato fries, but I do have a very picky teenager who only wanted chicken fingers.

Only one of my kids will eat chicken fingers but there is literally NOTHING my other one will eat there. So, I'll be there with my friend next weekend, but as a family trip, DLH is out until they expand their dining offerings or change up the menu at Tangaroa Terrace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter