Which character breakfast?

married2mm

DIS Veteran
4adults-
20,late 40's,50,87.

The 3 younger member of the party have been to tusker house previously
None of us have tried ohana before.
It's down to these 2.

I'm only permitted to book 1 character meal-or I could book more bit it may just be me dining!!
We have DoD-so that's not an issue.

Pros/cons ?

My favorites are 1900 Park Fare breakfast-great buffet assortment and fun character interaction ESPECIALLY the Mad Hatter, he is a riot!! Cape May Cafe breakfast is my 2nd choice. It's more laid back but Goofy is a lot of fun. My dd (she's 18) had a lot of fun with him last week LOL!!

I like the food at tusker (more variety)....BUT....I like the relaxed pace at Ohana. Plus the atmosphere at ohana is nicer than tusker IMO. Not to mention its nice to sit and chill and wait for the characters come to you.

Cape May is my very fave breakfast buffet too though. Love the atmosphere, food, and characters. its one of the quietest character breakfasts around! only draw back is getting to the Beach Club. A bit of a pain.

You're just messing with my head!!!
We've never actually been to a 'real person' character meal as ds was a little spooked when he was younger.
But he loved 50's PT last year so maybe they would work.

You devil's!!

Since you are asking between the two, and if you are planning an AK day, I'd choose Tusker House.

Definitely depends on your schedule. While I would not take away valuable park time from my schedule to go to Ohana, if you have a non-park day or already plan to spend some time at The Poly, I would definitely pick Ohana- if only for the new experience (but the food and atmosphere are very good, also).

Both are great character meals. TH has a better and more interesting variety of food. Ohana has a nicer atmosphere and you can really enjoy relaxing as the food is brought to you- no buffet lines or unsupervised children grabbing food to contend with at Ohana.

OUR OWN WDW CHARACTER MEAL & BUFFET RANKINGS (*rev: August 2016*):
Results are listed from best to worst
Best Food (quality first, then variety):
. . . 1900 Park Fare (B-D)
. . . Tusker House, moved from #1 Spot due to menu changes (B-L-D)
. . . Ohana (B)
. . . Garden Grill (B-D)
. . . Garden Grove Swan (D)
. . . Akershus Royal Banquet (B-L-D)
. . . Tusker House, (D)
. . . Cape May Café (B)
. . . Hollywood & Vine (B-L-D)
. . . Crystal Palace (B-L-D)
. . . Cinderella Royal Table, since new menu (B-L-D)
. . . Chef Mickey's (B-L-D)
Best Character Interaction (time with guest first, then friendliness):
. . . Tusker House
. . . Akershus Royal Banquet
. . . 1900 Park Fare (D)
. . . Garden Grill
. . . Tusker House
. . . Ohana
. . . 1900 Park Fare (B)
. . . Garden Grove
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Chef Mickey's
. . . Cape May Café
. . . Hollywood & Vine
. . . Cinderella Royal Table
. . . Crystal Palace (barely enough time for a photo)
Best Atmosphere (surroundings and ambiance):
. . . Cinderella Royal Table
. . . Tusker House, Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner
. . . Akershus Royal Banquet
. . . Ohana
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Garden Grill
. . . Crystal Palace
. . . Hollywood & Vine
. . . Cape May Café
. . . Garden Grove
. . . Chef Mickey's
NOTE: Results are listed from best to worst. Overall, Tusker House wins due to best food and the length of time the characters stay at each table. A close second is 1900 Park Fare. By far, Chef Mickey's is the loser, due to mediocre character interaction and almost terrible food
quality. The very distant second worst is Cinderella Royal Table, for brief time at tables by characters and the new menu. For non-character breakfast buffets, we prefer The Wave (CR) or Trail's End (FW).

So, I've been thinking about it further-
I know it can obviously totally vary on the day/hour/who's serving/who's attending
Far too many variables to really begin to take into account for a 'scientific evaluation'; however,on average to try and appease my dmil (in a wheelchair if that makes a slight difference)

These are my latest thoughts-
I was under the illusion we were all set with lunch at garden grill-ticked so many of my boxes; then those pesky folks changed the menu...

So, here we go...

The noise levels-too noisy definitely out
Seating-once dmil inside-she's sat down & wants food
1st choice booth
2nd choice backrest against a wall
The proximity of tables-really dislikes being able to touch/hear others whilst eating
The wait time for seating
The wait time for server-if family style great
Otherwise dh will be selecting her food anyway

Incidentally-dh watched a brief YouTube of 1900PF-not a fan; jeez-what a family

Between those 2 choices, I would go with Ohana. Pretty typical breakfast fare, but it's quite tasty. I also really like that it's family style and not buffet because it's far more relaxing to not have to get up and into a buffet line.

We love Ohana, the atmosphere is fun, with the parade for the kids.

Tusker house has great food, lots of different foods, and good character interaction. O'Hana has good character interaction, but food was just ok.

for adults only, i vote TH for a late breakfast where you get some overlap with lunch items. I just think there's so much more to choose from food wise.

So, I've been thinking about it further-
I know it can obviously totally vary on the day/hour/who's serving/who's attending
Far too many variables to really begin to take into account for a 'scientific evaluation'; however,on average to try and appease my dmil (in a wheelchair if that makes a slight difference)

These are my latest thoughts-
I was under the illusion we were all set with lunch at garden grill-ticked so many of my boxes; then those pesky folks changed the menu...

So, here we go...

The noise levels-too noisy definitely out
Seating-once dmil inside-she's sat down & wants food
1st choice booth
2nd choice backrest against a wall
The proximity of tables-really dislikes being able to touch/hear others whilst eating
The wait time for seating
The wait time for server-if family style great
Otherwise dh will be selecting her food anyway

Incidentally-dh watched a brief YouTube of 1900PF-not a fan; jeez-what a family

I like both Ohana and Tusker House. As a pp mentioned, we really liked being at Tusker House at the end of the breakfast seating so we were able to try lunch items as they started coming out.

However, given your additional requirements... both seem somewhat loud to me and both have a "parade" that takes the sound up a notch. Off times might be a little less crowded. And I've had long waits for seating at both despite my reservation. In my experience, no way to predict that. I can't recall either offering booth seating, but both would likely accommodate a request to be near the wall. The big difference might be that Ohana is family style, so your mother-in-law can serve herself.

I think that Tusker House might be too loud for her. There is a kid parade with instruments!

We haven't eaten breakfast at Garden Grill, but we rank our dinner there as one of the best character meals we ever had! The food was yummy! We were in one of those booths and it felt like we had the characters all to ourselves! We also like that even though it was all-you-can-eat, they brought the food out to you!

I know you didn't mention this one, but Crystal Palace is nice too. We got the last seating for breakfast and we were able to enjoy both the breakfast and lunch items. It was a nice break after getting to MK at rope drop.

Happy Planning!

They are both good breakfasts! But... we prefer Tusker House for both the food and interaction!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter