• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where's the Wonder Nov-Dec 2022?

Well, not to throw gas on a fire, but in another thread, they have pointed out that the EBPC has a real problem this year. The itinerary, as it stands, won't work with Cartegena and GC off limits (so non-PVSA compliant). Meaning what? Ecuador? Yeah, real in-demand ports. Even assuming they could get in. Would make for some (read A LOT OF) unhappy "campers".

Well, not to throw gas on a fire, but in another thread, they have pointed out that the EBPC has a real problem this year. The itinerary, as it stands, won't work with Cartegena and GC off limits (so non-PVSA compliant). Meaning what? Ecuador? Yeah, real in-demand ports. Even assuming they could get in. Would make for some (read A LOT OF) unhappy "campers".
Given that they aren't even ready for a 7-night Fantasy cruise, it's pretty clear that the EBPC is out of the question this fall.

Last edited:
The issue I always heard was that in order to add a ride they would need to add a ducktail and that would make the ship too big for the canal.
Ah that's a better reason than it's to cold in Alaska. I'd be down for something unique on wonder too that meats the requirements.
I believe it was 2016 dry dock when the ducktail was added to the Wonder. It is correct that it could not travel the old locks with the modification, but it can now. I don't know the technical rational for not including the aquadunk but it might be a combination of things. It didn't test well on the Magic and that it would not be worthwhile for Alaska. Honestly, I think the second reason is pretty flimsy. Alaska is like half the year at most, and they still use the pools. But it is what it is.

I totally agree that it is tough to figure out the EBPC this year. Could DCL get to Aruba or another ABC island and then steam north ending maybe in Miami instead of Galveston? Then waste a few days to reposition, allowing extra cleaning for COVID protocols on the deadhead? Obviously Disney is not afraid of paying the transit through the canal without passengers.

That was my thinking as well....
Technically we're on the first 7N cruise, departing on Oct 1 from SD. I can't see this happening. And my little birdie is suggesting that we be "flexible". I expect this will be converted to a 4N. There's a 5N right before us. So if that goes unmodified we _could_ get switched to a 5N.

I haven't given up on the EBPC happening.

I think Disney will wait until the last minute and cancel if they absolutely have to. They really want those cruise fares. Based on current restrictions, it's certain they'll have to modify it (probably multiple times and possibly even while it is underway), but they'll do what they can to avoid cancelling it. If it means Ecuador instead of Columbia, or if the ABC Islands become an option, they'll do that and allow anyone unhappy with the modifications (pre-departure) to cancel. Maybe they'll throw in an OBC for those that choose to accept the new itinerary.

I'm booked on the 2022 WBPC and off the top of my head I can't think of the ports. It's more about cruising the canal for me, and the nice long cruise. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm ok with whatever modifications they'll need to make at that time.

The Wonder might stay on the West Coast at the end of the 2022 season (and going forward), but I don't think they'll keep her over here at the end of the 2021 season. They'll want to keep the already booked EBPC fares, the already booked Galveston fares, and they'll definitely want to keep those 2022 WBPC fares. At the end of the 2021 Baja sailings they will be fully crewed up and would have to come up with new, last minute West Coast itineraries and give out 125% FCCs if they cancel. If it came to it, I think they'd cancel just the EBPC and sail through empty in order to go get the money that they've got in the Merrytime Caribbean, winter Galveston cruises, and the WBPC coming back over in the Spring.

In the last week especially, Disney has proven once again that they're really a business and in it for all of the money (or let's say 'in it for the Shareholders'). I don't think they're going to let go of the EBPC fares easily. Those cabins were not cheap.

Technically we're on the first 7N cruise, departing on Oct 1 from SD. I can't see this happening. And my little birdie is suggesting that we be "flexible". I expect this will be converted to a 4N. There's a 5N right before us. So if that goes unmodified we _could_ get switched to a 5N.

This is the 7-night that I'll be watching to see how they handle it. No Castaway to help mitigate exposures.

I was looking at the itinerary on that one yesterday and thinking if they reversed it (and had the two sea days at the beginning of the cruise), they could maybe hit the ports and come back with just one sea day. Just thinking it would be better for them to hit those ports on the back end, so that if anyone did happen to catch any cooties, there wouldn't really be time for the cooties to incubate and manifest while still on the ship.

Hopefully if they do have to convert it, you'll get the 5 nights rather than the 4.

I'm booked on the 2022 WBPC and off the top of my head I can't think of the ports. It's more about cruising the canal for me, and the nice long cruise. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm ok with whatever modifications they'll need to make at that time.

The Wonder might stay on the West Coast at the end of the 2022 season (and going forward), but I don't think they'll keep her over here at the end of the 2021 season. They'll want to keep the already booked EBPC fares, the already booked Galveston fares, and they'll definitely want to keep those 2022 WBPC fares. At the end of the 2021 Baja sailings they will be fully crewed up and would have to come up with new, last minute West Coast itineraries and give out 125% FCCs if they cancel. If it came to it, I think they'd cancel just the EBPC and sail through empty in order to go get the money that they've got in the Merrytime Caribbean, winter Galveston cruises, and the WBPC coming back over in the Spring.

We did the WBPC a few years back. We really loved the days at sea. We're doing the HI cruise in May (delayed from 2021) and we are really looking forward to the days at sea.

This is the 7-night that I'll be watching to see how they handle it. No Castaway to help mitigate exposures.

I was looking at the itinerary on that one yesterday and thinking if they reversed it (and had the two sea days at the beginning of the cruise), they could maybe hit the ports and come back with just one sea day. Just thinking it would be better for them to hit those ports on the back end, so that if anyone did happen to catch any cooties, there wouldn't really be time for the cooties to incubate and manifest while still on the ship.

Hopefully if they do have to convert it, you'll get the 5 nights rather than the 4.

Actually Baja California Sur and Baja California are doing pretty well right now, from a case rate perspective. The 5N just visits Cabo (BCS) and Ensenada (BC). Ensenada is the day before debarkation. It could be skipped if DCL wanted to limit port time and I don't think you'd get many complaints.

I like your idea of more sea days up front though. Add 2 sea days on the front end, hit Cabo on day 5, and Ensenada on day 7, or just skip it. Or Cabo on day 4 and balance the sea days.

EDIT: Also more sea days = more tasting/mixology classes! 🤣 In any event we're not likely to get off the boat this time. We've been to MX so many times that we can skip the port days if we don't feel like they are covid safe. But, I also was in WDW at the end of July, and that was probably worse from that point of view. 🤔

Last edited:
I have such mixed feelings about all this. On the one hand, I would LOVE to have more west coast cruise options. On the other hand, the Panama canal cruise is on my bucket list and I'd be very sad to see it go. I'm intrigued though by the possibility mentioned above of them doing new itineraries, not just Mexico and Alaska.

I have no information but I don't think they will permanently station the Wonder anywhere until the have a Panama replacement. That's just my opinion but that is a pretty popular itinerary. Of course could just be my wishful thinking.

I have no information but I don't think they will permanently station the Wonder anywhere until the have a Panama replacement. That's just my opinion but that is a pretty popular itinerary. Of course could just be my wishful thinking.

I've been thinking that, even if they do decide to give the Wonder a West Coast home port, they would still probably do 'back-and-forth' Panama Canal trips because it is so popular. That would be a crazy B2B to do!

I was thinking they could do the Alaskan, the Hawaiian, the Bajas, the back and forth Panama Canal's and maybe some other exotic ideas to fill out the time she normally would have gone back to the East Coast. Since the Panama Canal and Hawaiian cruises sell out so quickly, it makes sense that they would want to capitalize on those and add some extras in.

Maybe with more ships coming, they are going to keep the Wonder in the Pacific?

I've been thinking that, even if they do decide to give the Wonder a West Coast home port, they would still probably do 'back-and-forth' Panama Canal trips because it is so popular. That would be a crazy B2B to do!

I was thinking they could do the Alaskan, the Hawaiian, the Bajas, the back and forth Panama Canal's and maybe some other exotic ideas to fill out the time she normally would have gone back to the East Coast. Since the Panama Canal and Hawaiian cruises sell out so quickly, it makes sense that they would want to capitalize on those and add some extras in.

Ooooh I like how you think! More Panama canal cruises vs none would definitely get my vote. And you have a good point about those being such popular itineraries, I can see it making business sense.

Now Disney just needs to find a private island in the Pacific and we'd be all set. 8-)

EDIT More sea days = more tasting/mixology classes! 🤣 In any event we're not likely to get off the boat this time. We've been to MX so many times that we can skip the port days if we don't feel like they are covid safe. But, I also was in WDW at the end of July, and that was probably worse from that point of view. 🤔

Very good point because 1 almost every single day is not enough! Day six looks like the sad relation in my plans with nothing booked!

So one of the cruise lines is doing a round trip Panama cruise through just the first one or two docks I believe and back again. Its 10 nights from Miami so there are options for ones that don't do the full transit just not sure if this is something that happens much from the west coast.

Could DCL get to Aruba or another ABC island and then steam north ending maybe in Miami instead of Galveston? Then waste a few days to reposition, allowing extra cleaning for COVID protocols on the deadhead?

In 2021, probably not. The ABC Islands have pretty tight visit protocols that aren't going to be particularly workable for DCL. The prptocls are pretty similar among them. As an example, Aruba requires all visitors, 12 years and older to take one Molecular COVID-19 test within 3 days to 4 hours prior to travel to Aruba. They don't accept any of the at-home tests. No oral swab tests or saliva tests. No lateral flow tests. They also have a limit for how soon before arrival in Aruba they allow the departure for travel to occur, and it's outside the probable timeline for a cruise from San Diego coming east.

For 2022-2023 I am in the camp that believes DCL is trying to get port agreements to do a couple transits of the Canal. If they could do a holiday season Panama Canal cruise they could charge buckets of cash for it.

The EBPC, assuming they do it anymore after 2021, is already a Very Merrytime cruise.
When I say "holiday season" I mean "kids on school holiday season." Typically EBPC and WBPC are in awkward shoulders to "core" school break seasons.

I think they meant if they could do a PC cruise that sails over Christmas and NYE.

Yep! Kids on break, bring the whole fam without having to pull the kids from school two weeks. BUCKETS OF CASH.

So one of the cruise lines is doing a round trip Panama cruise through just the first one or two docks I believe and back again. Its 10 nights from Miami so there are options for ones that don't do the full transit just not sure if this is something that happens much from the west coast.
There are a number of cruise lines that do Panama Canal cruises as round trips from FL ports. These go through the locks on the Atlantic side, spend the day in Gatun Lake/Panama, and then go back through the same locks to the Caribbean. These cruises only require a foreign port stop, since they are closed loop, returning to the same US port. Both Holland America and Princess do these round trip from Ft. Lauderdale with stops in Central America and the Caribbean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter