Where would you stay for a resort-only trip?

inamerryhour

Earning My Ears
We are considering a resort-only trip in mid-July. We plan to swim, eat at quick service restaurants, watch fireworks from a distance, and soak up some Disney magic! Where would you stay for a trip like this? We are considering the Polynesian (only Villas open during this time), Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, or Boardwalk.

A primary concern is having access to different quick service dining. We are okay using Disney boats and will have our car, but it sounds like we may have difficulty parking at other resorts to visit and eat? I also understand the walkway between the GF and Polynesian is closed right now—kind of a bummer, as we had been thinking that could be a good option.

Thanks for your thoughts!

We are considering a resort-only trip in mid-July. We plan to swim, eat at quick service restaurants, watch fireworks from a distance, and soak up some Disney magic! Where would you stay for a trip like this? We are considering the Polynesian (only Villas open during this time), Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, or Boardwalk.

A primary concern is having access to different quick service dining. We are okay using Disney boats and will have our car, but it sounds like we may have difficulty parking at other resorts to visit and eat? I also understand the walkway between the GF and Polynesian is closed right now—kind of a bummer, as we had been thinking that could be a good option.

Grand Floridian. Polynesian will still be under construction, so you want to avoid that, and the Poly Villas are also in need of a refresh. Boardwalk & Wilderness Lodge don't have as good of a fireworks view as the monorail resorts (and Boardwalk is severely lacking in the restaurant department). Grand Floridian has very good quick service at Gasparilla Grill (as well as good table service restaurants) and they also have room service available. You'll also be able to easily use the monorail to get to restaurants at the Contemporary. The pool complex is very nice, and it's a pretty, summery, relaxing resort.

If you want access to multiple QS, book the Boardwalk. You have 5 resorts within walking distance with plenty of restaurants to choose from. You can walk to the Boardwalk/Epcot bridge to see fireworks and also Skyliner to RIV, CBR, Pop and AoA for more QS choices.

Epcot area resorts for sure - you have access to Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and Swan/Dolphin. Gives you the entire Boardwalk area assuming it opens up soon, and the dining options at Swan/Dolphin are wildly underrated. Stormalong Bay at BC/YC is a great pool, they have a quiet pool as well. Boardwalk has a quiet pool along with the creepy clown pool. And Swan/Dolphin actually has a very nice pool, as well as paddle boats to rent, a decent gym if that's your thing and a much lower price point than WDW resorts.

Epcot area resorts for sure - you have access to Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and Swan/Dolphin. Gives you the entire Boardwalk area assuming it opens up soon, and the dining options at Swan/Dolphin are wildly underrated. Stormalong Bay at BC/YC is a great pool, they have a quiet pool as well. Boardwalk has a quiet pool along with the creepy clown pool. And Swan/Dolphin actually has a very nice pool, as well as paddle boats to rent, a decent gym if that's your thing and a much lower price point than WDW resorts.
And this doesn't even take into account Riv and CBR by skyliner. Primo Piatto would be my fave QS around that area and Bar Riva is a good place to eat a quiet lunch.

Grand Floridian. Polynesian will still be under construction, so you want to avoid that, and the Poly Villas are also in need of a refresh. Boardwalk & Wilderness Lodge don't have as good of a fireworks view as the monorail resorts (and Boardwalk is severely lacking in the restaurant department). Grand Floridian has very good quick service at Gasparilla Grill (as well as good table service restaurants) and they also have room service available. You'll also be able to easily use the monorail to get to restaurants at the Contemporary. The pool complex is very nice, and it's a pretty, summery, relaxing resort.

Thanks for your thoughts on this! Good point about the GF having an excellent fireworks view!

If you want access to multiple QS, book the Boardwalk. You have 5 resorts within walking distance with plenty of restaurants to choose from. You can walk to the Boardwalk/Epcot bridge to see fireworks and also Skyliner to RIV, CBR, Pop and AoA for more QS choices.

Good point! I always forget how many resorts can be accessed fairly easily from that area!

Assuming everything is open, I would pick Fort Wilderness. That being said, we have our own "home" we bring with us. Cabins are nice I hear.
We don't go to the parks any longer so all of our stays are resort only.

Boardwalk or GF. I love Gasparilla's, the fireworks and easy walk to Poly with GF. Boardwalk for the reasons listed by others; so much nearby. Boardwalk pool has the better slide IMHO and a quiet pool that is more isolated and, well, quiet. GF has two pools right near each other but not much in the way of quiet/solitude. If you want something remote and totally removed, then AK Kidani to be transported away from the temptation of the parks.

If swimming is important for your stay, I'd do YC or BC. If resort pool is not as important to you, I'd go with any of the Boardwalk area resorts again for additional close by dining options and things to do. If none of these area resorts appeal to you, I'd go with Wilderness Lodge over monorail resorts. For me, if I am not going to MK, I would pass on a monorail resort. Don't see the point in paying that premium and not even hitting the parks. Especially the Poly with the current construction. Also, to be on the monorail loop and not go to MK would just depress me.

beach club if you are into pools. if you want something more laid back, g-flo, boardwalk or animal kingdom. maybe even consider a dvc room where you have a kitchen

Of your choices, I would pick Boardwalk. Easy walking distance to YC/BC and Swan/Dolphin for ample dining choices. Quick walk to the Skyliner which you can easily ride to Riviera, CBR, AOA, or Pop for even more dining choices. You're also an easy walk or boat to DHS which would allow you to catch any other resort's bus without having to transfer, if there's another resort you want to eat at or have been wanting to visit. As mentioned, if you take your own vehicle or rideshare to another resort, you're supposed to have a TS reservation. So your only option would be to arrive via Disney transportation. You have many resorts at your disposal via Disney transportation by staying at Boardwalk.

We did a resort only stay once and spent a fair amount of time at Disney Springs. Have you considered SSR? It may be cheaper than the other resorts you're considering, its been recently refurbished, and its walking distance to Disney Springs. Normally I'd hesitate to stay there because of the lack of transportation options to the parks, but that's not an issue for this kind of stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter