Where would you live?...

Gees, now you made me not want to leave Maine, we have all that too. Except our winters are a lot colder, and longer.

I've always wanted to visit Maine...it's on my list. ;) I think it's probably too cold for too long for my tastes though. I just got done reading a book set in Maine and the characters were wearing long sleeves even in the summer along the coastal towns. No mention of swimming in the water either, lol.

Our winters last about 3 months here...and it's very rare that we actually have snow on the ground all winter. Usually it's a little here and there. We actually sold our snowmobile because we didn't have enough snow on a regular basis to use it at home. You need to go quite a bit farther north to get deep snow. Some parts of the U.P can have snow Sep-June !! :scared1:

Denise and I both like the Midwest, both for the weather and the attitudes. Of course, she's a Nebraska native, I'm the transplant. We both looked at Florida after graduating, but stayed in this region.

I would enjoy Florida again, though. This time I'd look along the Gulf coast, from Tampa/St. Pete north.

Where would I live? Hmmm. Scott and I have been talking about this very thing lately. Eventually I would like to go to Florida......I really, truly, honest to God want to play the Fairy Godmother some day!!!

We've considered moving from Virginia. We've thought about getting closer to Disney. We've also talked about getting closer to my MIL in NC to help her out. In her town, cost of living is CHEAP! We could sell our home, buy one there, and be completely debt free! As appealing as that is...the schools are terrible...plus, we'd be afraid of being "trapped' there. The biggest hinderance is WE LOVE THE BLUE RIDGE!

We do have all 4 seasons here. None are too harsh. There is something very special about the fall. You've got to take that drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway in mid-October! It's a religious experience!

I don't know if it's the clean mountain air, the college town or what...but people are especially friendly around here!

Blacksburg schools are in the top 5% in the country! Cost of living in Blacksburg is a little higher than the towns right around us. I'm pretty sure it's the schools that drive the prices up. I'd say, on average, homes are about $125-$175 a square foot. This area has just a plethora of outdoorsy stuff to do! Not to mention that it is gorgeous here! I drive off the mountain I live on and it catches me everytime! You've just got to be thankful for a view like that!

I f ya'll are serious bout moving and have a list of possibilities that ya'll will visit to check out, and if Tennesse is on your list,,bring some lobster with you,,I'll provide the butter.:thumbsup2

Hmmm, lets say when I can finally get to a GG I will try and bring lobster. My step-father can usually get it cheaper right off the boat. If packed right it should travel just fine.:thumbsup2

If you like high taxes, crowded highways, very high utilities, and crime...check out the central part of Florida from Tampa Bay east thru Daytona Beach. :rotfl:

Well that definately sounds appealing!:rotfl:

I've always wanted to visit Maine...it's on my list. ;) I think it's probably too cold for too long for my tastes though. I just got done reading a book set in Maine and the characters were wearing long sleeves even in the summer along the coastal towns. No mention of swimming in the water either, lol.

Our winters last about 3 months here...and it's very rare that we actually have snow on the ground all winter. Usually it's a little here and there. We actually sold our snowmobile because we didn't have enough snow on a regular basis to use it at home. You need to go quite a bit farther north to get deep snow. Some parts of the U.P can have snow Sep-June !! :scared1:

Our winter starts Nov. and goes through March. It snowed a couple times in April this year.:sad2: And when I say snowed I mean plowable snow. There are many days in there when it is too cold they don't even let the kids out for recess at school. If it goes below 15 they can't go out. I 'd say about 1/2 of the time they were in.
36_11_8.gif

Our summers are nice, when we have them. I swear the seasons have shifted. We really aren't even getting a summer until late July, and then the kids are back in school at the end of August. Some of the teachers get upset because kids go on vacation during the school months. I think they should change the school year so people can actually do stuff when the weather is nice. That is the one thing I would miss if we did move, the girl's school. They go to a small private school(70 kids), that is very understanding about "family" time. I have never had a problem taking them out. They are really nice about makeup work, and giving them some stuff to take with us so they aren't swamped when we get back.

The exact words of our principal were "There are things a child learns on a family trip that they could never be taught in school" I think that is so true.

I'm sure it helps that my girl's do well in school, and make up work is ALWAYS in on time. If they didn't it probably wouldn't be as easy. I don't know if it would be to easy to take a week during school at a different school.:confused3

Sounds like Buffalo, but I think it's a little warmer here with more snow - because of the lakes. We have had very little summer this year - cool and rainy -our taxes here are outrageous - NYS is the highest tax state in the country - and our property values don't appreciate at all. My house is worth basically what it was 10 years ago - which makes it hard to move, but taxes still go up. Buffalo is on the top 10 list for fastest dying cities in the US - along with Detroit and Cleveland. Our median age here is higher than most retirement communities because all the kids are leaving and the old folks are staying. The number one industry here is government.

If I wasn't roughly half-way between the two girls I probably would get out. As it is I still may do it.

People may start moving back here as fresh water resources become more important and as the climate get warmer here (I know, but there is incontrovertible evidence that it is happening) but that won't happen until well after I'm gone.

Buffalo is on the top 10 list for fastest dying cities in the US - along with Detroit and Cleveland.

But yet Parade Magazine recently rated Amherst/Clarence (Buffalo suburbs) as one of the best places in the US to live. The criteria (IIRC) was job availability, schools, low crime, taxes, and cost of living. I remember thinking when I read that...hmmmm... job availability if you are able to work from home...and.... cost of living only if money is no object!!

When I was growing up, Amherst & Clarence were all cow pastures and farm land. Now it's the home of McMansion's and gated communities.

I grew up in hurricane country and I have lived in Alabama. It is funny, when I lived in one place, I missed the other. However, I can't beat where I am now. I have the beach (which I really don't like going to) and two rivers (that I do like going to) to enjoy. I really don't get excited about hurricanes all that much, except that the gas prices go out of site for a while. I'll take the risk for the comfort of knowing that I don't have to deal with the weather going under 70 degrees for very long.

Thats not the Michigan I grew up in, I remember Spring, Pre-winter, Winter and Post winter.:thumbsup2

Where would I live? Hmmm. Scott and I have been talking about this very thing lately. Eventually I would like to go to Florida......I really, truly, honest to God want to play the Fairy Godmother some day!!!

We do have all 4 seasons here. None are too harsh. There is something very special about the fall. You've got to take that drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway in mid-October! It's a religious experience!

I don't know if it's the clean mountain air, the college town or what...but people are especially friendly around here!

Blacksburg schools are in the top 5% in the country! Cost of living in Blacksburg is a little higher than the towns right around us. I'm pretty sure it's the schools that drive the prices up. I'd say, on average, homes are about $125-$175 a square foot. This area has just a plethora of outdoorsy stuff to do! Not to mention that it is gorgeous here! I drive off the mountain I live on and it catches me everytime! You've just got to be thankful for a view like that!

OK Ami, I am sold, when can you make room for me? :cloud9: Sounds great. I like that area as well.

I hear that Chapel Hill, NC is top rated as a place to live. We went there a couple of times while we were stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. It is beautiful. Good camping, rivers, beach not too far. Smokie Mountains not too far. And only 1 day drive to FW. I want dh to get sent back to Bragg. Fayetteville (near Bragg) is nice, a lot of military retire there. It only "snowed" once while we were there and our yankee neighbors thought we were crazy running around screaming "it's snowing, it's snowing". OK, so only 1 in maybe collected. I am from New Orleans. THAT is snow. We loved it there. Mild seasons, yet you had all 4. No hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. We went to Myrtle Beach a few times.

Right now New Orleans is giving incentives to move there. :lmao: It was living in Orleans Parish that began my homescholing career. :teacher: On the northshore of New Orleans where Rog lives is very nice. Mandeville/Covington. St. Tammany Parish. Good schools, nice weather, camping, rivers, Covington is less expensive than Mandeville. If you live further out into the country it is very inexpensive.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Thats not the Michigan I grew up in, I remember Spring, Pre-winter, Winter and Post winter.:thumbsup2

Where did you grow up ?? I think people that move away tend to remember it as being colder than it really is here. I think your skin thins as you move south ;) My aunt grew up here where we usually start wearing sweatshirts when it's about 50 degrees outside. After 3 years in FL she can't stand coming back here anymore. If it is 50 she is in a winter coat, gloves and a hat !! :laughing:

On the flip side....our thicker skin can't take the FL heat. If it is above 80 I am too hot and need the a/c and shade. She doesn't even turn ON her a/c unless it is over 85 !!

Gees, now you made me not want to leave Maine, we have all that too. Except our winters are a lot colder, and longer.

My parents used to have a condo in North Conway N.H. Close enough to Maine. In fact we've cut down quite a few Christmas trees from Maine. We used to take the kids when they were young and have Thanksgiving there. It was lovely. However, there were quite a few Thanksgivings when they were sledding on the golf course. I remember your winters do start pretty early. One summer we were visiting and it was the 4th of July..the permanent residents were telling us that this was the first day of summer for them..and the 5th of July was the last day of summer!:laughing: I think the New England autumn, is absolutely beautiful. Only by Columbus Day they were past peak colors. Beautiful part of the country..but you're right about the cold. It is chilly that's for sure. I do think that given the amount of snow they get..they handle it really well. Just an inch of snow throws everything into kaos here. Where as in N.H. I remember them getting close to ten inches over night, and the roads were perfectly clear the following morning. I found that amazing. We do miss visiting the area. After my dad's stroke we sold the condo. The drive became too long..some seven hours from where we live. He and my mom used to fly there from Long Island..as my dad was a pilot. Not even a two hour flight in his small plane. I miss those days. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Make the move now..wherever it is... while your kids are still young. ;)

We like it here in Texas. The only problem is we are to far from WDW. Doubt we will ever move but if we did it would to Florida.

North Carolina is on our possible move to list.

We live here in NC and we love it. We moved from the Lehigh Valley PA to here over 4 years ago and I have no desire to ever move "North" again. I gave my Father our snow blower with a big red ribbon and said enjoy! I think the most snow we have gotten is 2" at one time, and they canceled school. OMG they canceled school 2 years ago and there was only frost on the grass. That said there may have been ice on the roads closer to the mountains. Our only complaint, and it is huge, is the school system. 3 of our 5 children have special needs and require IEPs. My DD is hearing impaired, and it depends on your county services. Some counties are better than others. We have had great teachers and we have teachers that should never set foot in front of children again. I think you could have that anywhere. What I dislike the most about the school systems is they are county organized. Back home you could have 10 different school districts within your county, here, they are individual counties, services are spreed out through out the county.
Taxes are so much lower here than back up North. We payed over $4000 a year there and here they range from $600-$3000. Depends on where you live. Housing market is good and you are close to the mountains for winter activities, and where we live 3 hours from the shore, and only a 9 hour drive to WDW. If you like sports, college, so many so close, Wake Forrest, UNC, NCS, Duke, we have 12 or more just around us.

If we do move again, our choices are SC, TN, GA, and FL as our 4th choice.
Good Luck, our neighbors decided on our area when he threw a dart on a map. They like it too.
Loretta

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter