Where would you live?...

Make the move now..wherever it is... while your kids are still young. ;)

I know, it already is difficult for me to take them away from what they have gotten attached to here. Jim says I'm nuts, if he were still in the navy we'd be moving every 3 years. Which is fine if the kids are use to it, but they haven't had to, well that they remember anyway, so it is harder for them. But it is important to do it before they get to much older, ahhh, decisions.:scared:

I love Va. I love my Blue Ridge Mountains. I grew up just off the parkway in a one stop light town. I wish i still lived there but we're only about 45 min. away. We will probably never move and i'm happy with that.

I love the Blue Ridge!!! I didn't know you were there...2 of my fav. places are up in your area!! Floyd Va. has a winery close by Chateau Morrisette which I adore! and Mountain Lake Resort....
BUT I agree with Carol..North ALabama is a great place to raise a family...the fallls are some of the most beautiful colors around and the Winters get cold and you get dustings of snow with more from time to time...LOTS of great places to camp, good schools and still not too crowded you can't relax ,Property is still reasonable too....the most friendly place I've been since I've been working on the road is the Mississippi ..I back there to work again now and I have to say I LOVE IT!!!! and I love my job!!!! Its like coming home!!!!all the people are great!:hippie:
I don't know if it's the clean mountain air, the college town or what...but people are especially friendly around here!

well Yeah what Jen said..>>>>>>.west Central Alabama has a great college town area Great place to raise a family...mid winters...but summers are HOT!!!!:cool1:

I have a good friend who owns a couple of shoe stores in bama..ones on N. College St in Auburn, and the other is in downtown Tuscaloosa on Greensboro. Im always proud when one of my dancer friends gets out of the business and does well for herself.

I love the Blue Ridge!!! I didn't know you were there...2 of my fav. places are up in your area!! Floyd Va. has a winery close by Chateau Morrisette which I adore! and Mountain Lake Resort....
BUT I agree with Carol..North ALabama is a great place to raise a family...the fallls are some of the most beautiful colors around and the Winters get cold and you get dustings of snow with more from time to time...LOTS of great places to camp, good schools and still not too crowded you can't relax ,Property is still reasonable too....the most friendly place I've been since I've been working on the road is the Mississippi ..I back there to work again now and I have to say I LOVE IT!!!! and I love my job!!!! Its like coming home!!!!all the people are great!:hippie:
I don't know if it's the clean mountain air, the college town or what...but people are especially friendly around here!

I love Chateau Morrisette! It is so beautiful! That's also where they make the Hokie wine! Scott and I are members there and get invited to hoity-toity parties. It gives us an excuse to get out and ride the parkway a bit!

This is something that i have talked about a bit. I really only have two places I would want to live. One would be rght here where I am in St. Augustine FL. The other would be up near my dad in missouri. My choice to move closer to him would be based on two things that revaolve around one. When he retired, he bought a little farm up there to raise cows ( for beef, not milk ).
1st reason- Having a big piece of land out in the country would be like camping everyday ( no I'm not foolish enough to think that it would be all play and no work ).
2nd reason- Dad is starting to get older and could use the help. He's 65-66 years old and is taking care of about 200 acres ( not including leased land or property that people let him use for hay ) and average 60-70 head of cattle with just him and his wife ( I don't call my mom "his wife", this is my step mom:lmao: ). Not to mention that he still thinks its a good idea to break horses ( and I don't mean using the horse whisperer way ).
The only problem is at one point he told me that he lived in the poorest county in missouri. This is not a problem if you ar retired but it can be an issue if you plan on working and making any kind of money.
I must say that I think it's pretty cool that my dad is a cowboy ( which while cool is kinda funny ). up before dawn,mending fence, breaking horses,cattle drives, branding and everything else, and he is grateful that he gets to do it no matter how hard it is.
Oh wait, I thought this was the how cool is Mike and his familly thread :rolleyes1 .

For us, it makes the most sense to live right where we are now. I really do like it here, but if money wasn't an issue, we'd probably live in Colorado or somewhere in the pacific northwest.

What brought us here was the economy. We lived in Dallas where housing is good, jobs are good....but its just hot as **** there in the summer. I actually grew up in the Dallas area, but the weather is just not for me anymore. So we started looking for a place with a similar economy. If it was up to me and dh, we'd probably live in the sticks somewhere with a beautiful scenic view...but job's require us to stay somewhat close to a large city. :rolleyes:

Nicole, we did a lot of research in this area. What was important to us:
1. Close to good jobs
2. Good schools
3. Somewhere that offered outdoor recreation that we enjoy
4. Scenic views if at all possible
5. Cooler weather than Dallas with some season's mixed in there!
6. Somewhere we could afford a decent size house for our family!

Our area is close to the mountains but also close to the city. We have the best school district in the metro Atlanta area (according to test scores anyway). We have Lake Lanier close by for fishing or boating. Crime is LOW! We really like the larger lots and traditional style homes. People call this Hot-lanta...but this is nothing like the hot weather we had in Dallas....and we have seasons here (not just summer and winter). This area is a bit more "relaxed" than closer to the city...and we like that.

I'd definitely recommend this area for someone looking for similar requirements.

Good luck Nicole! Enjoy your search!
Sonya

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter