• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where were you when you heard the Queen had died?

We were home and watching the updates on BBC. I’d suspected something was going on when I saw the Queen’s hand in the picture with the new Prime Minister the other day, which was heavily bruised, and saw how much weight she’d lost. But I think whatever happened yesterday may have been somewhat unexpected, since most of her family weren’t with her, and they surely would‘ve been had they known she was imminent.

At any rate, for myself, it reminded me of the night Diana died. I was heavily pregnant with twins, weeks away from delivery, when I was driving home in the afternoon and heard about the accident (still remember right where I was). I watched updates until somewhere in the middle of the night, when they announced she had died, and I :sad:. Have wondered whether I would’ve been so emotional had I not been so hormonal! Possibly, because I’d followed her story since those early days when she was still a kindergarten teacher and began dating the Prince Charles, and I felt devastated at her loss I think because of how tragic her life had been, despite the wealth and popularity she enjoyed worldwide.

I don’t feel the same way about Queen Elizabeth, but, like countless others, I do respect her selfless reign and the amazing life she led.

At work. I think she had already passed when I became aware that there were concerns, but I was monitoring the news (and disboards) after that. I actually got a notification on my phone when CNN first reported it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful and I'm not. I admire the lady intensely. My thought is that she was 96 years old yet everyone seems to act like this was a total and complete surprise. When anyone, including a Queen, hits their mid-90's it is pretty much a surprise to just wake up. I know this will be taken wrong, but I just strikes me as odd. Unexpected, like Diana is one thing or JFK, but Britain was very lucky to have a Queen the lived as long and was as accomplished and respected as she was. RIP Queen Elizabeth.

I don't mean to be disrespectful and I'm not. I admire the lady intensely. My thought is that she was 96 years old yet everyone seems to act like this was a total and complete surprise. When anyone, including a Queen, hits their mid-90's it is pretty much a surprise to just wake up. I know this will be taken wrong, but I just strikes me as odd. Unexpected, like Diana is one thing or JFK, but Britain was very lucky to have a Queen the lived as long and was as accomplished and respected as she was. RIP Queen Elizabeth.
I agree, but her mother lived to 101, so there was a possibility she still had some good years left. I do agree with another poster, though (not sure if it was here, or on another thread), she seemed to decline after the loss of her husband last year.

I agree, but her mother lived to 101, so there was a possibility she still had some good years left. I do agree with another poster, though (not sure if it was here, or on another thread), she seemed to decline after the loss of her husband last year.
I guess that is probably true, but at that age it might just be a coincidence. Don't forget that her mother basically stopped doing much in the line of "Royal Duties" for around 6 decades.

My daughter sent me a text while I was out walking in the AM. Spouse went the whole day without knowing the Queen passed. Queen was an admirable figure. Unfortunately her progeny not so much. I am sorry to see the Queen pass but I am more sorry to see the next horse more in her place.

I guess that is probably true, but at that age it might just be a coincidence. Don't forget that her mother basically stopped doing much in the line of "Royal Duties" for around 6 decades.
I don’t think that’s accurate. She apparently remained pretty active even after her daughter became Queen.

Life as The Queen Mother​

After the King's death, The Queen Mother continued her public duties in the UK and overseas. These included over 40 official visits abroad, including a 1989 visit to Canada which marked the 50th anniversary of her first visit there. Her Majesty was Patron or President of some 350 organisations.

https://www.royal.uk/life-and-work-queen-elizabeth-queen-mother

At DHS watching the Indiana Jones stunt show. My sister sent me a FB messenger message that showed up on my smart watch. After the show, DH and I got some ice water then got in line for Star Tours. While in line, I decided we should hop over to Epcot to visit the UK pavilion as a way of showing respect.
I love this! We were out yesterday and went by a couple of places that are UK-related, but nothing really seemed out of the ordinary there. (Granted, we didn’t go in either place.) Was anything going on at the UK Pavilion?

We were at Epcot, waiting in (a short) line for Soarin. We also went to the UK Pavilion. Overheard some Brits talking about how wonderful she was. There was a pregnant pause and one of them said, "And now we get Charles...."

At work. I had been watching news coverage all morning. Found out in between student appointments :(

Home working on material for a reading I’m doing. Was checking twitter all day, opened up FB and saw someone post about it

Saw that the family was on the way to be with her so put CNN on. Her death was announced at 10:30 am PST. My wife and daughter are big Royal watchers and knew she was gone a couple of hours earlier when the BBC website put up a black background.

I was at work in the morning when Buckingham palaces announced she was under medical surveillance and the family was on the way

I’m convinced when they made that statement she was already dead. New presenters were sent home to redress in black police were called in etc. The prime minister was told 3 hours before the public and also before most of the family arrived in balmoral

When The official announcement was made we were at home expecting it

Saw that the family was on the way to be with her so put CNN on. Her death was announced at 10:30 am PST. My wife and daughter are big Royal watchers and knew she was gone a couple of hours earlier when the BBC website put up a black background.
Yes, I think that and the fact that newscasters were all in black was an ominous sign.

We were home and watching the updates on BBC. I’d suspected something was going on when I saw the Queen’s hand in the picture with the new Prime Minister the other day, which was heavily bruised, and saw how much weight she’d lost. But I think whatever happened yesterday may have been somewhat unexpected, since most of her family weren’t with her, and they surely would‘ve been had they known she was imminent.

At any rate, for myself, it reminded me of the night Diana died. I was heavily pregnant with twins, weeks away from delivery, when I was driving home in the afternoon and heard about the accident (still remember right where I was). I watched updates until somewhere in the middle of the night, when they announced she had died, and I :sad:. Have wondered whether I would’ve been so emotional had I not been so hormonal! Possibly, because I’d followed her story since those early days when she was still a kindergarten teacher and began dating the Prince Charles, and I felt devastated at her loss I think because of how tragic her life had been, despite the wealth and popularity she enjoyed worldwide.

I followed the Diana story for days, crying my eyes out. I wasn't pregnant or hormonal, but like you, I think it was just that I had followed her story for all those years. I felt so sorry for William and Harry as they were both still young. Hard to believe that it was 25 years ago last week that Diana passed away.
I don’t feel the same way about Queen Elizabeth, but, like countless others, I do respect her selfless reign and the amazing life she led.
Same here. I respected the Queen, for the way she ruled, and her longevity.

I was just stepping onto KS at AK. My cousin texted me. As a Brit, I was devastated but had to step onto the ride as the doors were already open and there were too many people behind me for me to step off easily. I cried the whole way round.

At work. Several texts came in one after the other. People
Know my love of all things royal
So glad I finally got to London this summer. I was a little worried she would pass before our trip. Remarkable women.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter