Where were you on 9/11/01

safetymom

dis veteran
Never forget!!

I can see that day so clearly in my mind. My daughter and son were home from school sick. My oldest daughter had gone to work.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the TV. Buildings aren't supposed to fall like that. Then hearing about a plane crash in PA.

It was so sad hearing of the loss of life that day. Lots of families were ripped apart, never to be whole again.

I am so thankful for all the wonderful people that responded to help that day but so sorry for all the loss of life!!

Hugs your loved ones today and realize how quickly things can happen.

Never forget!!!

I remember it vividly.

I was still in college and had woken up for another day of classes and work to complete. I walked out into the living room of my apartment and saw one of my roommates watching the TV with her mouth open; her aunt worked in that building, but was late that day. The others soon followed in.

We soon learned of what was happening and watched as it unfolded on live TV. My parents were back in NJ and felt the ground shake when the buildings came down. Supposedly the plane that was headed for the Pentagon flew over my college which is near Washington D.C.

What a terrible day, but it united the country and brought about a much needed sense of patriotism. To think that my current students were not even born yet and will only learn of this day through textbooks is eye-opening.

May we never forget.

I was picking apples...went up to the house for a coffee with my mom and as we were sitting there the radio announced that a plane had flown into the side of the towers but they had no information on how big the plane was yet. Then Rae, who was only 4, came in and said that the hosts on her CBC Morning kids shows had stopped her show (they did live segments between Mr. Dressup,etc.) and told the kids that they had to go get their parents because they had to stop showing the kids shows for the morning. I'll never forget that act of kindness....rather then just cutting to that horror someone actually had the thought "we can't show this to the kids".

In the end though Mom and I sat with both girls; Lindsay was just a baby, and watched. I didn't think Rae was paying much attention but she tells me she can remember me crying.

The news was filled with it, of course, but with all the planes being grounded Halifax news was filled with stories of what was happening with all the stranded passengers. My husband, at the time, ended up being on the first flight out of Halifax the first day flights were finally taking off again and he said it was very surreal and very quiet.

Living by the Greenwood airbase we of course have planes flying over us all the time. I knew it had affected all of us when our picking crew would stop and watch the plane, where normally we'd ignore it.

There have been a lot of world events that I can remember exactly where I was but none of them so clearly and with still such raw sadness...and here I am hundreds and hundreds of miles away from New York. I can't imagine the continued hurting for those most directly affected.

We were at Hollywood Studios sitting in Indiana Jones waiting for the show to start. The people behind us were talking about “being under attack” and wondering what country it was. They were also talking about all planes being grounded. I whispered to my husband and asked if that could be true and he said that sounded kind of crazy. We sat there for awhile and it became apparent something was going on because the show wasn’t starting.

Finally a CM came out in front of the crowd and said “We’ve been asked to close the park because of what is happening in the world.”

People were very quiet and orderly, there were CMs at the exits handing out paper 1 day passes to everyone who wanted one. We finally got the story of what was going on when we were in the bus going back to Animal Kingdom Lodge. There was a retired military gentleman who told us all what he knew. We got back to the hotel, watching TV and checking in with family.

The next morning the park opened again and the new bag check was in place.

Disney was great, we got stuck because the flights were grounded and there was a mild hurricane the day we were supposed to leave. They gave us a night at no charge and made sure we got our rental car to drive back up the east coast before they gave our room away.

I had just finished teaching first hour 6th-8th grade choir and had dismissed my students into the hall. They were met by another teacher and asked them to all go into the library where we watched the events unfold on TV. We watched the first tower fall.

I had to pack up and go to my 2nd school. In the time it took for me to pack up and get to my car, the 2nd tower had fallen.

It was a sad day but it was also a good to be with kids. They A) offered some great insight into the feelings of the day and B) made it easy to forget for a few minutes about the terrible things in the world.

I was in college, I didn't know anything happened until I walked into class and our teacher had the news on the projector. At the time only one plane had hit one of the towers. We all sat and watched another plane hit the second tower. It was hard to believe what we were seeing. Our teacher cancelled class, but we all just sat there. We watched the towers fall. It was horrible, I will never ever forget that day, ever.

I was in the Thurgood Marshal Federal Judiciary Building at 1 Columbus Circle NE in Washington. It was two blocks from the Capitol.

My late wife was in her Federal Office Building at 1201 Constitution Avenue NW in Washington, which was two blocks from the White House.

I was still in college

Nikki, you don't have to rub in how young you are. :)

I was at work. The TV in the waiting room was showing the news. I was only catching bits and pieces of it between patients until it became the sole topic of conversation and we all became glued to the TV and internet.

I had many friends and relatives living and working in the city including a couple in and around the towers so I was concerned for them (all were okay). That night, we remained glued to the TV, hardly able to comprehend what we were seeing. We've been to NYC many times. I've been in the towers several times. The sadness was overwhelming.

At the time, I was working for a travel medicine company as the on-call doctor for many Philadelphia hotels and I received a call to treat a victim from the WTC. She had been at a conference at the Marriott at the base of the tower and had escaped the city as quick as she could. She managed to get on a train before they shut down and made it as far as Philly. She was from DC but didn't want to go back there either. Her injuries were minor though she was really shaken up. So that was my very limited medical involvement in the whole ordeal.

Back at home, we stayed up far too late watching the coverage and finally forced ourselves to go to sleep.

One thing I distinctly remember is the airlines being grounded. We live along the approach to Philly International. There is an ice cream place we used to go that was even closer and we would sit outside and watch the planes fly over us. We went a day or two later and it was so weird to not have the planes going every 2 minutes.

I was working part time at a local Philly Cheesestake shop and I was getting ready (my mom worked there also) and I turned on the TV while eating breakfast. As I watched in disbelief, I saw the second plane hit the second tower. We went to work with a little TV so we could keep up with what was going on. My dad was still working at the time and we tried to get a hold of him but the lines were so jammed, it took about an hour to get through to him. The shop stayed open until the all of the offices in downtown Harrisburg, were released for the day.

At that time I had friends that lived in the DC area (Alexandria) and I tried to get a hold of them as soon as possible to make sure they were ok. My one friend lived in a high rise apartment complex and she could hear the fighter jets flying around her apartment. She was so frightened, she came home to her parents house for a couple of days.

The strangest thing about this day is that I had drove home from Providence, RI two days prior from a convention, so it was a sureal moment for me.

To this day, I still can't believe it happened and I still get tears. I can't help but feel great sorrow for those who lost their lives or are still fighting for our freedom.

I had just taken dd to Junior Kindergarten and came home and turned on the news. Sat there with my mouth open. I watched the second plane hit.
I lived very close to the Canada/U.S.A border on the Canadian side, and could see fighter jets flying up and down the river by the time I went outside. I'd never seen anything like them. I don't know what kind of jet they were, but there were several of them, and they were black and scary looking. Living so close to New York state and having no idea what was coming, I ran the few blocks to get my daughter from school. I wasn't the only one. When I got there the parking lot was a madhouse and everyone was taking their kids home.
I'll never forget that. Running to the school, these fighter jets in the distance, a beautiful sunny day, and a feeling in my heart that I never want again.

It still brings tears to my eyes. Heartbreaking.

I just posted this on the Theme Parks board 9/11 thread, but thought I would share here too:

I woke up September 11, 2001 to my clock radio alarm somberly telling me, “a plane has hit the World Trade Center.” I was 18 years old and preparing for my freshman year at college. My school happened to start later in September than most others, so I was still living in my parents’ house. Everyone else was at work or school already, and I had set my alarm because I wanted to get a jump on buying dorm room essentials and packing that day.

I remember it being one of those gorgeous, crisp early fall mornings. The day was promising to be cool and comfortable, sunny but not hot. The sky was bright blue, the trees were still bright green, and everything seemed lovely.

I turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane crash. This was the first time I realized it was an attack, not an accident. The media drew the same conclusion just as quickly. There was already speculation of going to war, at 9:30 that morning, and I remember calling my boyfriend’s house at the time, and blurting out, “Are we going to war?” without even realizing it was his father that had answered the phone. “No, of course not,” he reassured me.

The rest of the day is a bit of a blur. I remember being shocked to hear on the news that there were two other planes, one that hit the Pentagon and one that crashed in PA. I remember my parents both came home, I remember watching the television for most of the day. I remember that the conclusion that it was terrorism happened pretty quickly, and the tv was full of anchors and reporters debating about what would be done in counterattack. I remember having the somewhat ridiculous thought, “I really should go about my day, or else the terrorists win.” I half-heartedly tried to go out to Bed, Bath & Beyond and walked inside to find out they were closing anyway. Thank goodness.

We lived in northern New Jersey for awhile when I was young, and there were quite a few people that we knew that could have been in the city that day. Thankfully, we didn’t lose anyone. But I was surprised to see a familiar name on the news days later: the pastor of our old church, St. Joseph’s, Father Mychal Judge, had been declared Victim #1 by the NYC coroner’s office. He died when he was hit by falling debris when the south tower collapsed, while giving last rites in in the north tower.

The things I remember most are the days after the attacks. How nice people were to each other. How sad I felt that this was something so unusual that I noticed it. Doors were held, cars were allowed to merge, people said hello to one another, please, thank you, and all in this kind of zombie-like haze. Everyone seemed sedate, saddened by the sheer weight of what had happened. American pride surged in a way I had never experienced before. You couldn’t get an American flag anywhere, and I had to settle for red, silver and blue stars from a party store to decorate my dorm room door. God Bless America murals started going up on barns and abandoned buildings that faced highways. It was amazing, how the country banded together as one, to say, “We will carry on, we will honor those who lost their lives, and we will triumph.”

I will certainly never forget, and I only wish we could hold on to that sense of community we felt in those terrible days after 9/11 all the time. At least we seem to still come together on the anniversary, to remember and honor those who lost their lives that day. Be kind, share love. That's the best way to honor them!

I was at work in Newark NJ. Our offices are in a glass building. I had heard the one World Trade Center tower was on fire and that a plane flew into it. I went to the window and saw the smoke from tower 1. As I stood there I saw this commercial plane flying erraticly along the coast of NJ. Normally we see planes landing at Newark airport closer to our building and in an orderly fashion. Immediately I thought this wasn't good and called my coworkers over as we watched the second World Trade Center get struck. It was devastating and outside of losing family the worst day of my life. After the towers fell that let us leave for the day. I went to pick up my baby son (almost 13 now) and went home with him. I got home and cried and took a nap with him. I recently finally visited the memorial. It is elegant and seeing the new tower almost completed shows the great resolve of America.

Val & I had just returned home the day before from our first ever Disney Cruise. After getting of the Magic, we had stayed and extra couple of nights at WDW and flew home on the 10th.

The 11th was my first day back to work after the vacation. My office was in the Prudential building, the 2nd tallest building in Boston. Always being a morning person I was well into my work day before the events unfolded. Mid-morning I happened to be walking past the VP's secretary's desk and she told me she had just gotten a call from one of her friends with the news of a plane hitting the towers. Naturally we all turned on our radios to catch the news.

Shortly afterwards we were all released from work as the city of Boston emptied out. I commuted on the train and was able to catch one back home. I remember walking through South Station with my head on a swivel (old combat training kicked in I guess) looking for any signs of danger. Fortunately there was none and I got home safely. Spent the rest of the day watching the news on TV with Val.

Reflecting on the events of that day I've come to realize that USA came out the "winner". The terrorists thought they could bring us to our knees by making such a bold attack. Instead, they strengthened this country even more.

I was a stay at home mom at the time. It was before 6am and I was getting lunches ready for DH and my 7 year old boys. The San Francisco radio station reported a plane hitting the tower and I imagined some small private plane. DH left for work soon after. It wasn't long before I kept hearing reports of planes crashing. When the second one hit, I realized that was no accident. I was wondering if I should take the boys to school or not, but I took them. It was hard to drive with the tears in my eyes. After I dropped them off, I began to wonder what else would happen that day around the country. I spent the day home alone, sick, watching the tv.

I had been up for about 30 hours already, as I dealt with several years of crippling insomnia in my early 20s.

I had just resigned myself to being up for another day and was watching TV when they broke in with the news that a plane had hit the tower. They were showing live coverage, and as they spoke the second plane hit the second tower.

I watched in shock for awhile, then came enough to my senses to put a blank VHS tape in my player and hit record. I still have that 8-hour tape of the live coverage today (just no VHS player!).

I watched the coverage for hours; finally, my friend called me and I went over to watch the coverage with her. After being up for so long and being so emotional, I was coming a bit unglued, so I decided to go to the mall and wander around a bit then go home and try to sleep. On the way, I fell asleep while driving and hit a parked car - I came to on the ground outside my car with my face cut up from the glass exploding.

The next thing I knew, I was being taken out of an ambulance at the hospital - I caught a glimpse of my face and saw it covered in blood. It made everything a lot realer for me - it was almost like the sight of my own blood brought everything into focus.

I slept a lot that night and pretty much just lived glued to the TV for days, like most other people I'd imagine. But I carry a scar (on my face and my heart) from that day. And that was the last car accident I had.

I was on my way to work when the first plane hit, I was watching smoke billowing up from 1 WTC as I was driving and as I was wondering what it was the radio announced that a plane had crashed into it. Everyday as I drive into work and look at the skyline I always think of that day.

out in central Suffolk county L. I.

Trying to make decisions on the go about how to help our children, their parents, and staff members in our school district, many of whom had loved ones in NYC, at the scene, as police and firefighters.

Terrible.

I was in my senior year of college. I had an 8:00 class and then a 9:00 class in the same classroom, same teacher. In between classes, he told us that the university had closed and we needed to go home. We didn't know why. As I walked home to my apartment with friends, we passed lots of students on their way to class. We gleefully told them "Class is cancelled!" because we thought this was a good thing - a free day off! Then I got back to my apartment and turned on the TV and found out the real reason the university was closed. I immediately called my fiance (now husband) who lived a few hours away and he had been watching the coverage for an hour. We cried and sat the rest of the day on the phone with each other watching TV.

The teacher I had that morning is Muslim and I felt so sad for him in the days to come, watching as he quietly pulled back out of the spotlight of all the University groups he was in. Even though he had nothing to do with the attacks, he didn't want his fellow Americans to feel uncomfortable with his presence. How sad to have to live that way.

Living in Illinois, I didn't know anyone personally who died or that had lost someone. But I remember being scared thinking about what places in our area were at risk for being attacked. My dad runs a hydroelectric power plant/dam on the Mississippi River and I remember worrying that it could be a target, as it's in a very important location on the river. That was the last day that tours and outside visitors were allowed into the plant. Police and security were posted outside for weeks.

Praying for the families of the victims today and anyone else who was involved. I think Jeff summed up my feelings well.

Reflecting on the events of that day I've come to realize that USA came out the "winner". The terrorists thought they could bring us to our knees by making such a bold attack. Instead, they strengthened this country even more.

I remember I just went to shut off the TV to head to work when the news came on and was showing the first plane hitting the towers. I just stood there watching it all unfold. I remember the newscaster from the Boston station saying something like the United States is under attack. All I could think of was getting to my kids to make sure they were safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter