Where to stay?

margot31

DIS Veteran
Looking to go for my 40th birthday...I haven't been since fall 2020. I have stayed at Yacht club, Wilderness lodge, Contemporary, Coronado, Caribbean, port Orleans riverside, two of the value but can't remember off the top of my head. Looking to go with my parents...I know silly as a 40 year old going with my parents. But also looking to do a moderate to even considering DVC studio. Just not sure so many options so if you could what would you do?

What is your budget? Are you sharing a room?
I would be sharing the room with my parents. As far as budget reasonable. trying to stay under 1500 if possible. My parents and I will spilt the cost of the hotel.

How many nights? 1500 total for stay?
I don't know yet. At most it would be 6 nights. I have been pricing things out and I also have military discount too. I know I can't afford the Floridian. It was last night that my husband and I were talking about this and this morning I am starting the planning and all. I haven't even asked my parents yet.

To me...

Overall (if can afford): Polynesian

Moderate (love the Skyliner): Caribbean Beach

Moderate (quiet): Port Orleans French Quarter

When will this trip be? $1500 total for the room? If over 7 month's, then you can checkout DVC, of course there is almost always points for SSR and OKW they are the last to go. I know other posters probably will not agree, I would suggest looking at POP. We have really liked staying at POP, it has the murphy bed that can be folded up and really opens up the room and of course the skyliner to EPCOT and HS which is great and can save you $$ to put towards tickets, a nice meal etc. We also really like POFQ, the smallness of the resort and the great theme, carriage rides, plus the river and boat ride to DS.

When will this trip be? $1500 total for the room? If over 7 month's, then you can checkout DVC, of course there is almost always points for SSR and OKW they are the last to go. I know other posters probably will not agree, I would suggest looking at POP. We have really liked staying at POP, it has the murphy bed that can be folded up and really opens up the room and of course the skyliner to EPCOT and HS which is great and can save you $$ to put towards tickets, a nice meal etc. We also really like POFQ, the smallness of the resort and the great theme, carriage rides, plus the river and boat ride to DS.
I don’t want to do any of the value resorts. I want to do moderate or looking into dvc. With the list of places I have already stayed just trying to think of what would be my next or do I go back to one of them again.

Since you mentioned military discount … Have you already stayed at the Shades of Green ?

Last edited:
What other types of discounts would you be eligible for besides military ?
Do you have a date that includes a holiday ?
I assume you are not DVC members ?
But I was thinking about the Wilderness Cabins for your family . Kinda expensive tho

What other types of discounts would you be eligible for besides military ?
Do you have a date that includes a holiday ?
where would you stay if you had stayed at all the resorts I have or would you make a repeat?

where would you stay if you had stayed at all the resorts I have or would you make a repeat?I always stay at POP unless I am using DVC points .
I recently stayed at the Swan Resort and thought it was reasonable and convenient .

I hope you can travel and plan for a discount . Do you have AAA ?

I would not want to repeat a location except for POP …
I have only stayed at Art of Animation once and probably would not choose that again .

Last edited:
I see you have 2 different trip planning conversations.
Good luck .
Im sure you’ll have fun .

I love POFQ - small resort, great transportation, nice QS and jazz in the evenings. I have also stayed at CSR in the tower and in a preferred room - rooms are gorgeous, there are a ton of restaurants and beautiful pool. It’s a much bigger resort, but we found transportation to be fine. The mods are lovely IMHO

You’re coming into this planning with 2 huge assumptions
1. your parents want to go to WDW and have the money for 2 people for transportation, tickets, extras, food and hotel
2. that they want to share a room with you instead having 2 cheaper rooms

I would either talk to them now before any more planning happens or assemble 3 plans (1 as you hope it happens, 1 if they don’t go and you do a solo trip, 1 if they come but want their own hotel room even if that means a value or off-site) so you can pivot after you have the conversation.

As far Plan 1, since you’ve already priced it out what Mods and Deluxes came in at $1500 total for 6 nights? Start with giving us that list to pick from. (Many of us don’t have familiarity with military discounts so the idea of a deluxe hotel for $250/nt including taxes is mind blowing.)

You’re coming into this planning with 2 huge assumptions
1. your parents want to go to WDW and have the money for 2 people for transportation, tickets, extras, food and hotel
2. that they want to share a room with you instead having 2 cheaper rooms

I would either talk to them now before any more planning happens or assemble 3 plans (1 as you hope it happens, 1 if they don’t go and you do a solo trip, 1 if they come but want their own hotel room even if that means a value or off-site) so you can pivot after you have the conversation.

As far Plan 1, since you’ve already priced it out what Mods and Deluxes came in at $1500 total for 6 nights? Start with giving us that list to pick from. (Many of us don’t have familiarity with military discounts so the idea of a deluxe hotel for $250/nt including taxes is mind blowing.)
I wouldn’t just do anything without talking with them. I’m putting together info so I can also presents them to see if they can swing as they also travel all over the place now. We wouldn’t be doing 6 nights. Let’s take money out of all this. Where would you stay?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t just do anything without talking with them. I’m putting together info so I can also presents them to see if they can swing as they also travel all over the place now. Let’s take money out of all this. Where would you stay.
Well if budget doesn’t matter my favorite stay is a Poly/BC split. If I had my parents along it would a 1 bedroom villa at any DVC that had a Murphy bed in the living room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter