Where to stay with 9YO son - Marriott Cypress Harbor, Harbor Lake, Sabal or Sheraton Vistana

AC168

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

We will be spending a few nights at Saratoga Springs and then a few nights at one of the following ... which would you recommend to be best for a 9 YO boy in mid-April ... thanks!

Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Harbor Lake
Marriott Sabal Palms or other Palms
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Sheraton Vistana Resort

You can't go wrong with any of them. Your son might like Harbour Lake, but might be a little old for some of the water features there. Might also be too young for some of the slides at Orlando World Center Marriott that you can access from Sabal or any of the Palms properties. Cypress Harbour is super chill. We love all those properties. I would suggest doing a search on YouTube. There are a number of videos out there that compare the different properties as well as resort and room tours that might help you make a decision.

If a short drive to WDW is important, the Marriott Palms can't be beat from that set. Vistana Resort is a close second. I really like Cypress Harbor, but that's just vibes. The biggest downside of Cypress Harbor is that the 2nd BR is really cramped when you need to use the pull-out to sleep on, but that would not be a problem for you.

We’ve stayed at both Sheratons and the cypress harbour and they are all fairly similar. We loved the units in cypress harbour the most as we enjoyed the large window in the living room. But the resort pools were quite small compared to the mega pools with water fall features at both Sheratons. Cypress Harbour had beautiful grounds and was undergoing a reno while we visited, they were building a mini putt, splash pad and updating their basketball court. I believe the splash pad is for younger kids though.
Both Sheratons have great grounds as well, with the villages being a bit smaller. Of the 2 we prefer vistana resort but that’s only due to proximity to Disney.
What are your plans while in the area? That might help sway your decision (location).

We've stayed at both Harbor Lake and Cypress Harbor many times and enjoy them both. We're Harbor Lake owners from years and years ago before we even had DS. We prefer Harbor Lake. The activities they put them on top. DS loves collecting "sand dollars" from participating in activities to purchase treats in their activities shop. The Harbor Lake pools aren't huge, but they are more kid-friendly than the pools at Cypress. We would like to try out one of the Palms sometime, we know the new waterpark isn't included but the original slides at pool at the World Marriott look like plenty of fun to us.

I'm assuming you will have a car, if not I think that would narrow my choices.

I've had many stays at Marriott World Center Palms, just at Sabal in December and booked again for next December. You simply can't beat the location. You can use the main pool which is very nice with big slides. Depending on crowds you can use the waterpark for a per person fee. Parking is free at the MVC units and close to your unit. There is an activities schedule but we are park centric so we never use them. And many restaurants on property.

I've stayed at Sheraton Vistana Resort a few times. Again we are mostly at parks but it is a big spread out property and we only used the closest pool because we'd have to drive to the others. It has more of a apartment complex feel than resort. I would explore photos and find an activities schedule if you are planning on resort days. Location wise it's great. When we stayed units were very well appointed but overall dark especially on lower floors.

The others are closer to SeaWorld than Disney but I've stayed at Marriott Grand Vista which is in that area. Totally doable to drive to the parks from there. I think overall it depends on the style of resort you want, the activities they offer, if you are going to parks and the unit design itself.

I'm assuming you will have a car, if not I think that would narrow my choices.

I've had many stays at Marriott World Center Palms, just at Sabal in December and booked again for next December. You simply can't beat the location. You can use the main pool which is very nice with big slides. Depending on crowds you can use the waterpark for a per person fee. Parking is free at the MVC units and close to your unit. There is an activities schedule but we are park centric so we never use them. And many restaurants on property.

I've stayed at Sheraton Vistana Resort a few times. Again we are mostly at parks but it is a big spread out property and we only used the closest pool because we'd have to drive to the others. It has more of a apartment complex feel than resort. I would explore photos and find an activities schedule if you are planning on resort days. Location wise it's great. When we stayed units were very well appointed but overall dark especially on lower floors.

The others are closer to SeaWorld than Disney but I've stayed at Marriott Grand Vista which is in that area. Totally doable to drive to the parks from there. I think overall it depends on the style of resort you want, the activities they offer, if you are going to parks and the unit design itself.
Piggy-backing off this to ask a couple questions about the Palms. Hope that's ok. Why is Sabal more expensive than Royal? And when they black out the sale of tickets for the new water slides, do they make that decision per day (ie peak times of year don't offer it regardless of daily crowds), or by the hour (ie- could buy a pass in the AM when it's quiet but not later in the day when it's busy)? Or, is it simply based on the convention schedule and who is staying in the hotel? This would be a large consideration for whether we book one of these time shares versus another.

Piggy-backing off this to ask a couple questions about the Palms. Hope that's ok. Why is Sabal more expensive than Royal?
I LOVE Sabal and I imagine many others do and it is a smaller "village". Supply & demand.

When you enter the property to the right is Imperial Palms ~ 3 Bedroom huge units in a single small building. They have their own small pool and hot tub. No other amenity in the building. BUT right across the drive is the Royal Palms which has the main pool, all the activities, patio with firepits, store, concierge, live entertainment, sport courts etc. ALL the Palms can use all that. We have stayed Imperial a few times but not Royal.

Sabal is a village at the very back of the property with view of that golf course. It is "behind" the hotel and you wind the drive to back there. They are only two story and look like a mid century CA kind of condo community. Playgrounds, grills, lobby building with small pantry. Fitness Center, very nice pool area with hot tubs, giant chess set etc. Again you can go to Royal Palms if there are activities you want to do there. Easy walk to the hotel pool but they have a shuttle they can all for you to get you there. It will always be my first choice. The master is huge with one of those walk in gigantic shower rooms. The second bedroom isn't huge but has a full bed and twin bed in it. THERE ARE STEPS in the unit if that is a problem. Down a few steps to get to living/dining (great big space) and master. Then those same steps up to get in to the master bathroom area. Also steps up to second floor units (your own steps), no elevators.

And when they black out the sale of tickets for the new water slides, do they make that decision per day (ie peak times of year don't offer it regardless of daily crowds), or by the hour (ie- could buy a pass in the AM when it's quiet but not later in the day when it's busy)? Or, is it simply based on the convention schedule and who is staying in the hotel? This would be a large consideration for whether we book one of these time shares versus another.
When the water park first opened they did not allow us to use it at all. MVC was not happy about it and said they were going to negotiate. The result was that MVC guests can pay a daily fee of about $20 per person BUT there might be days they are blocked. I do not know how much notice they give for it. When we were there in December the water park was completely closed down one afternoon we walked over and it was a beautiful warm day .... so not sure why if mechanical or staffing. But it looks very nice!!

The main pool does have a few big slides that are free to use.

I LOVE Sabal and I imagine many others do and it is a smaller "village". Supply & demand.

When you enter the property to the right is Imperial Palms ~ 3 Bedroom huge units in a single small building. They have their own small pool and hot tub. No other amenity in the building. BUT right across the drive is the Royal Palms which has the main pool, all the activities, patio with firepits, store, concierge, live entertainment, sport courts etc. ALL the Palms can use all that. We have stayed Imperial a few times but not Royal.

Sabal is a village at the very back of the property with view of that golf course. It is "behind" the hotel and you wind the drive to back there. They are only two story and look like a mid century CA kind of condo community. Playgrounds, grills, lobby building with small pantry. Fitness Center, very nice pool area with hot tubs, giant chess set etc. Again you can go to Royal Palms if there are activities you want to do there. Easy walk to the hotel pool but they have a shuttle they can all for you to get you there. It will always be my first choice. The master is huge with one of those walk in gigantic shower rooms. The second bedroom isn't huge but has a full bed and twin bed in it. THERE ARE STEPS in the unit if that is a problem. Down a few steps to get to living/dining (great big space) and master. Then those same steps up to get in to the master bathroom area. Also steps up to second floor units (your own steps), no elevators.

When the water park first opened they did not allow us to use it at all. MVC was not happy about it and said they were going to negotiate. The result was that MVC guests can pay a daily fee of about $20 per person BUT there might be days they are blocked. I do not know how much notice they give for it. When we were there in December the water park was completely closed down one afternoon we walked over and it was a beautiful warm day .... so not sure why if mechanical or staffing. But it looks very nice!!

Thank you! We stayed at Royal Palms about 8 years ago and I thought it was nice. Wondered if maybe Sabal was closer to the main hotel because we did have to ride a shuttle. From what you describe, the units might be bigger so maybe that's the price difference. I think we even had an obstructed view of fireworks too.
We did stay in two rooms (7 people) at MWC for a night in 2022 at end of our stay at WBC so we could do the water slides. It was a bit of a bust. They were tracking a storm about 30 minutes out so kept the slide closed until 5:30, even though it never rained or stormed. Literally not one drop of rain. They close at 6 so that was really hard to swallow, but safety first. Thinking we might try again this summer with a stay at one of the timeshares and pay for a full day if available.

Thank you! We stayed at Royal Palms about 8 years ago and I thought it was nice. Wondered if maybe Sabal was closer to the main hotel because we did have to ride a shuttle. From what you describe, the units might be bigger so maybe that's the price difference. I think we even had an obstructed view of fireworks too.
We did stay in two rooms (7 people) at MWC for a night in 2022 at end of our stay at WBC so we could do the water slides. It was a bit of a bust. They were tracking a storm about 30 minutes out so kept the slide closed until 5:30, even though it never rained or stormed. Literally not one drop of rain. They close at 6 so that was really hard to swallow, but safety first. Thinking we might try again this summer with a stay at one of the timeshares and pay for a full day if available.
Sabal Palms is in eye sight of the water park. You walk across to it, then around that side to the main pool. I did it a few times last month with my son who is disabled and it was an easy walk. We went to dinner at hotel and shopped at their food pantry which is big with fresh made food, ice cream etc.

We've also watched fireworks from out balcony there. I think they shoot on the golf course.

Piggy-backing off this to ask a couple questions about the Palms. Hope that's ok. Why is Sabal more expensive than Royal? And when they black out the sale of tickets for the new water slides, do they make that decision per day (ie peak times of year don't offer it regardless of daily crowds), or by the hour (ie- could buy a pass in the AM when it's quiet but not later in the day when it's busy)? Or, is it simply based on the convention schedule and who is staying in the hotel? This would be a large consideration for whether we book one of these time shares versus another.
As I understand, the waterpark will either be blocked out for the whole day to non hotel guests or available. No partial days.

Thanks for all the great information. Staying here end of April and I was going to look up what kind of coffee pot at Sabal Palms. Can you tell me if it is a 10-12 cup drip pot or a pod machine?

Thanks for all the great information. Staying here end of April and I was going to look up what kind of coffee pot at Sabal Palms. Can you tell me if it is a 10-12 cup drip pot or a pod machine?
Drip. YouTube videos are a good place to check out this kind of stuff. Just search the resort as there are videos out there showing the rooms.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't notice. I do know I brought home all the coffee to DH and it is loose in a bag and he uses in a regular coffee maker. You get a big tray of coffees, teas, sugar, artificial sugar, etc. And I think if you run out you can call for more. Same with the dish soap, laundry soap etc.

I just looked on the resort's photo gallery and this is what they show.

1708916637086.png

I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't notice. I do know I brought home all the coffee to DH and it is loose in a bag and he uses in a regular coffee maker. You get a big tray of coffees, teas, sugar, artificial sugar, etc. And I think if you run out you can call for more. Same with the dish soap, laundry soap etc.

I just looked on the resort's photo gallery and this is what they show.

View attachment 836862
Thanks. I was not aware they supplied all that, was thinking we would need to bring/purchase our own!

Thanks. I was not aware they supplied all that, was thinking we would need to bring/purchase our own!
Dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, more paper towels, garbage bags, a small liquid dish soap, a sponge, the coffee/tea stuff I mentioned. I think there was a few bars of soap and lotion? and they have the wall dispenser shampoo, creme rinse and body soap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter