• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay in Yosemite?

melk

DIS Veteran
I am currently trying to plan a trip for August 2012. I realize to stay in Yosemite you have to book a year in advance and I am trying to do that but nothing is available! We have been trying for Yosemite View Lodge, one of their family rooms as we are a family of five, but nothing is ever available. How can it be unavailable every day?!?

Anyway, does it really matter to stay inside the park? I have read about lines at the entrance gate and it worries me. We would like to be as close as possible, if not right in Yosemite.

So any lodging recommendations for a family of five?

Yes, everything can be unavailable. We went a few years ago when we were a family of five. We decided to camp in one of the campgrounds in Yosemite. I called when the phone lines opened on the first day. I was trying to get 5 consecutive days there. I got 5 days but we ended up changing campsites 3 times. Ugh!

Keep trying though. The couple that camped right next to us said that they got their reservations 10 days earlier and they got 7 days in the same camp site.:cool1: It seems all of the lodging in Yosemite books up very quickly. :sad2:

We just visited Yosemite a few weeks ago and stayed at the Yosemite West condos. Our unit (B205, I believe) had a pull out queen sofa, a queen bed, a double futon, and a twin--plenty of room for five. (Oh, and 2 bathrroms--bonus!) We also had a fully-stocked kitchen, which made for easy breakfast and a few leisurely (and cheap) dinners after a day of hiking.

I do recommend staying inside the park (Yosemite West is in the park). There were a few times that the line to get into the park stretched over a mile back!

Check out the reviews for Yosemite West on trip advisor before booking. Each unit is privately owned and they do vary in terms of condition, beds, etc. We were very happy with ours.

there is one central website to book any Yosemite places- if they're not on there,they're privately owned,etc. Not sure about locations, but the Yosemite valley is apparently a great place to be in the middle of it all- it might be xanterra for that one site(?) you can google it,lots of options like tent cabins,etc that look nice for a family...we plan on visiting there for the 1st time in Sept- and have one booked, I looked last week,there was still availability so keep looking.... curry village,housekeeping,plus some hotels....

The valley can be good or bad, depending on your preferences. It's definitely the location for easy access to some great hikes, ranger talks, activities, etc. The beautiful park lodges with their dining options are nearby, too. But, it can be VERY crowded, which can lead to some noisy nights in those tent cabins. Traffic can be a challenge, too. (There were several times during our July visit that the crowds at Yosemite rivaled peak season at Disney.) I'm sure a great deal of that depends on the time of year you're visiting.
Check out the Wawona Hotel. It's just outside the valley but within the park and has great amenities.

there is one central website to book any Yosemite places- if they're not on there,they're privately owned,etc. Not sure about locations, but the Yosemite valley is apparently a great place to be in the middle of it all- it might be xanterra for that one site(?) you can google it,lots of options like tent cabins,etc that look nice for a family...we plan on visiting there for the 1st time in Sept- and have one booked, I looked last week,there was still availability so keep looking.... curry village,housekeeping,plus some hotels....

Not Xanterra . . . Delaware North.

Availability changes often so I would keep calling and checking. It all depends on how many days you want to be there, but if you are thinking only 1-2 then I think it is imperative you stay in the valley. If you are there 3-4 days then you can check into Wawona, etc. Most first timers to Yosemite focus on the valley even though there are quite a few other options. You should be able to reserve something else outside as a back up and then check to make sure you can cancel it if you can get on site. Also, keep your expectations fairly low, the price reflects the location.

Yosemite is awesome! We go 2-3 times a year since we are only a few hours away and we always find something new and excititing, usually it is stargazing at Glacier point or checking out the higher than usual waterfall this year.

Jenn

Yosemite is awesome! We go 2-3 times a year since we are only a few hours away and we always find something new and excititing, usually it is stargazing at Glacier point or checking out the higher than usual waterfall this year.
Jenn, have you gone on the "Glacier Point Stargazing Tour"? If so, how was it? We're thinking of taking this tour.

Woody

Just outside the gate is Yosemite View Lodge. It's right on the merced river. Good location and price was reasonable. You should check it out.

You can book 366 days in advance, but I just did a search for Curry Village which has more lodging options (and is still in the Valley) than the Lodge and it is showing me the same unavailable message. I think it has to do more with their site than it being booked. The reservation number might be the best route.

Reservations: (801) 559-4884

Good luck. I love staying there at night and being able to hear and smell all the campfires and just... everything.

Getting a campsite or lodging in Yosemite rivals scoring Cindy's Table at MK. You have to call as soon as the phone lines open up. Keep calling back. People grab more than one campsite and then choose the best of the bunch.

Totally agree if you have only a couple of days, focus on the Valley. If you have more time, think of looking at hotels in Lee Vining and driving in to the park each day. The 20 dollar park fee is good for 7 days. Tuolume Meadows is very pretty and less traveled. Mono Lake is right there next to Lee Vining too.

Glacier Point is awesome in daytime. I can imagine at night, with no "light pollution" star gazing would be down right spectacular. If you are "city folks" that don't get to see the Milky Way, go. If you are more in a rural area, I am sure the benefit of a ranger/guide will make the experience a rich one.

Persistence....... will pay off. I live less then 60 miles from Yosemite and have been several times. In each instance we have called the reservations area repeatedly and always end up getting reservations. Staying in the valley is very convenient, but Yosemite West is nice too. My favorite place to stay (somewhat rugged) are the Curry Village tent cabins.

Keep calling, it will work out.

My favorite in Yosemite is tent camping, but haven't been able to do that for years, so we tent camp in Sequoia and find other lodgings in Yosemite - I've stayed at Housekeeping, Yosemite Lodge (just this past July), Redwoods in Yosemite (private cabins near Wawona), Yosemite West (private cabins outside the valley), and Curry Village cabins & tent cabins.

I prefer staying in the valley, but when that is not an option, I like staying at Redwoods in Yosemite over Yosemite West (just my preference).

I agree with everyone else, keep calling back. Even when the internet shows that all lodging is gone you can call and might get lucky. That is what happened to me.

I've also been to Glacier Point at night. Seeing the stars from there during a new moon is one of the most spectacular sights I've seen. I can hardly wait to do it again (just not brave enough to do it alone).

. . . I've stayed at Housekeeping, Yosemite Lodge (just this past July), Redwoods in Yosemite (private cabins near Wawona), Yosemite West (private cabins outside the valley), and Curry Village cabins & tent cabins.

I prefer staying in the valley, but when that is not an option, I like staying at Redwoods in Yosemite over Yosemite West (just my preference).
We enjoy staying at Yosemite Lodge.

Woody

My favorite in Yosemite is tent camping, but haven't been able to do that for years, so we tent camp in Sequoia and find other lodgings in Yosemite - I've stayed at Housekeeping, Yosemite Lodge (just this past July), Redwoods in Yosemite (private cabins near Wawona), Yosemite West (private cabins outside the valley), and Curry Village cabins & tent cabins.

I agree with everyone else, keep calling back. Even when the internet shows that all lodging is gone you can call and might get lucky. That is what happened to me.

I've also been to Glacier Point at night. Seeing the stars from there during a new moon is one of the most spectacular sights I've seen. I can hardly wait to do it again (just not brave enough to do it alone).

Why is a new moon better? Is a full moon too much light? :confused3

Curry tent cabins are pretty tight,I recommend a hard sided room at Curry....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter