Where to stay for one day at Flower & Garden Festival

toodycat

DIS Veteran
My husband and I will be visiting his family in Tampa/Clearwater in May. We just learned that our flights have been changed, giving us an extra full day in FL. We thought we would spend Wednesday at WDW rather than in Clearwater, go to F&G at Epcot and then drive back to the Tampa airport on Thursday to catch our evening flight home. (We have flown in and out of TPA for our Disney trips in the past. It’s not bad.) The question is where to stay. Our go to is AKL, but that’s quite a schlep to Epcot. The BW, BC and YC seem like a lot of money for one night when we won’t really have time to use the facilities. We also love GF and WL, but GF is expensive and under construction and WL isn’t really Epcot convenient. We were thinking CSR, but the Gran Destino tower is booked up. Where would you stay? My husband doesn’t like value resorts because he prefers a sit down restaurant, so our options would be moderate or deluxe. Alternately, we could stay at a Good Neighbor resort. Would love some suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Agree with Swan or Dolphin.
You can walk or take a boat to EP for half the price (or less) than YC/BC or BW.

We’ve stayed at BC, BW and the Swan and I’d stay at any of them again no problem.
But thought BW was the prettiest :flower3:.

I agree with PPs - Swan/Dolphin (whichever is cheapest for one night) would be most convenient (make sure to factor in parking and their resort fee). CBR would be very convenient. I just stayed in a preferred room at CSR and I absolutely loved it (I have also stayed in the tower), so I wouldn't rule that out. We also love POFQ and, with only one bus stop, it makes getting to the parks very convenient. Honestly, I would pick whichever is cheapest. With the savings you could even consider using uber/lyft/Minnie Van to EP if the resort you choose isn't close to EP.

Also, have you considered switching your flight to MCO? Not sure if it's a possibility, but it would be more convenient.

Enjoy!

Not sure why TS at the resort is relevant. I'm expecting you will be at Epcot all day and would rather have dinner there then to come back to your resort just to eat. Personally, I would stay wherever saves me $$, especially since it is only 1 night and you really will not be at the resort much at all. Why pay more $$ for a resort if you will not be utilizing it. I know you said that your DH does not like Values but we love staying at POP, especially with the skyliner.

I agree with pp who said Swan or Dolphin, they're my first choice for quick, Epcot-focused weekend trips.

Not sure why TS at the resort is relevant. I'm expecting you will be at Epcot all day and would rather have dinner there then to come back to your resort just to eat. Personally, I would stay wherever saves me $$, especially since it is only 1 night and you really will not be at the resort much at all. Why pay more $$ for a resort if you will not be utilizing it. I know you said that your DH does not like Values but we love staying at POP, especially with the skyliner.
As someone that has done many a very short weekend trip for Epcot, proximity to parks matters a lot more on those bc your time is limited, and it's absolutely worth paying for. Time is money and walking 5-7 minutes to Epcot is always going to beat a gondola system that shuts down when the sky sneezes, especially when you don't have the luxury of playing the "What contingency plan is Disney using for Skyliner guests at Epcot today" guessing game bc of time constraints. You can also often catch Swolphin for less than the price of a Disney mod with discounts. I paid less than CSR casita rates to stay at the Dolphin over Labor Day weekend last year with the AP discount.

Plus, as much as F&G is actually my favorite festival for food, I find that there's not enough of it for multiple meals, and I tend to only do booths for lunch. If for whatever reason OP doesn't want to have dinner at any of the Epcot restaurants, there's a ton of really great options at Swolphin, including Shula's, Il Mulino, Rosa Mexicano, and the new place over at the Reserve.

I agree with pp who said Swan or Dolphin, they're my first choice for quick, Epcot-focused weekend trips.

As someone that has done many a very short weekend trip for Epcot, proximity to parks matters a lot more on those bc your time is limited, and it's absolutely worth paying for. Time is money and walking 5-7 minutes to Epcot is always going to beat a gondola system that shuts down when the sky sneezes, especially when you don't have the luxury of playing the "What contingency plan is Disney using for Skyliner guests at Epcot today" guessing game bc of time constraints. You can also often catch Swolphin for less than the price of a Disney mod with discounts. I paid less than CSR casita rates to stay at the Dolphin over Labor Day weekend last year with the AP discount.

Plus, as much as F&G is actually my favorite festival for food, I find that there's not enough of it for multiple meals, and I tend to only do booths for lunch. If for whatever reason OP doesn't want to have dinner at any of the Epcot restaurants, there's a ton of really great options at Swolphin, including Shula's, Il Mulino, Rosa Mexicano, and the new place over at the Reserve.
Sorry but I disagree. First this skyliner "yada yada" is a very low % chance of shutdown, yet if you go by some people on the the DIS it occurs daily. SMH We have stayed at a skyliner resort a good number of times and only once was it closed in the morning and they had buses running. I had lived in Central FL for 20+ years and the times weather is bad first thing in the morning is extremely low % and if it is bad in the morning it will usually be that way the whole day, so walking in the rain does not sound ideal either. I am not willing to pay a few hundred $$ more just to save 20 minutes, time is $$ but not at that rate. Also to add, they have their own transportation so they already have a built in contingency plan. We also like S&D but do not forget to add about $60 for fee and parking.

Swolphin 💯

Book a refundable room right now so the price doesn’t increase, if it drops you can rebook at the lower rate.

The wildcard is if there is a convention that day and it’s sold out, in that case I’d take the Skyliner bad weather gamble and do CBR with a request to be near the Skyliner station (there are no elevators so if that matters request ground floor).

I agree that the Swan and Dolphin is a good choice. I think proximity is key and you cannot get much better than a Epcot area resort. The Boardwalk area is pretty and the walk into Epcot is convenient.

Thanks for all this feedback. I still have not made a choice and my options are pretty limited. Almost all the deluxes are sold out, except AKL which isn't super practical for an Epcot visit. Swan and Dolphin are over $400/night for our date in mid-May. I'm thinking CSR, POFQ or an OKW studio. Anybody have a favorite among those three? Last night we stayed at POR, it was an epic disaster.

Thanks for all this feedback. I still have not made a choice and my options are pretty limited. Almost all the deluxes are sold out, except AKL which isn't super practical for an Epcot visit. Swan and Dolphin are over $400/night for our date in mid-May. I'm thinking CSR, POFQ or an OKW studio. Anybody have a favorite among those three? Last night we stayed at POR, it was an epic disaster.
Did you check for discounts at Swan/Dolphin? AP, AAA, teachers, nurses etc?

I'm thinking CSR, POFQ or an OKW studio. Anybody have a favorite among those three? Last night we stayed at POR, it was an epic disaster.
My favorite of those 3 is CSR. Love the food options there if you are eating outside of the festival.

Sorry you had a bad time at POR. 🙁

CSR is my favorite by far of the 3 you listed. I haven't stayed in the tower and have no need to. I stayed preferred in Dec. in Casitas #3 and frankly, had I not had an AP discount I would have been unhappy. I was in the farthest building in Casitas #3 you could be in, right by the leisure pool there. I would have preferred to be in Casitas 4 or 5 but at the time I was booking, the AP rate was only available for preferred and it was less than regular rate for non-preferred. I would go ahead and book CSR and keep watching Swan/Dolphin. They often have discounts which can be pretty good. I have an upcoming trip the first week in April and have a deluxe balcony resort view room booked for $350 all in (that includes the resort fee and parking). Happened upon a good AP rate when I was looking.

I would do POFQ, it's the smallest resort and they did a great job with the New Orleans theme and is a great place to walk around at. Plus if you wanted to go to DS, it's just a boat ride away.

CSR would be my vote then and maybe rideshare to EP. I think rideshares can only pickup/drop off at the Tower at CSR but it’s nicer to stroll the CSR grounds than it is to ride a bus around. If you end your day in international gateway you can always catch a rideshare from an EP hotel if you don’t feel like walking to the front for the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter